The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
essner

Starting Tool Collection

Hey guys i just started buying my OWN tools lol....so i was wondering what you guys feel are the best/most essential tools to buy first....
essner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
WAAF
Account Suspended

Re: Starting Tool Collection

your on an island where everything cost more.. and no idea if your on a built up one or the garden island..
it's a few days before christmas. if you can get to a sears(no idea if there is one, can't remember and really wasn't looking to shop when I was there.. tho we did buy from the wayland galeries and sloan.. but anyways.. I'd go get the biggest tool kit they(sear) sell that you can afford.. if no sears local.. you can order online, but shipping will be a killer.. lowes/ home depot has kits to, if there isn't a sears..
a set with ratchets (1/4 drive and 3/8 and 1/2") with sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers, pliers and vise grips.. would be a good start.. gearwrenches are the best thing since sliced bread..
it's the holidays so everyones got these sets on sale..
if you have a sears local but they don't stock them you might be able to order whatever kit you want and have it shipped to store for nothing.. and pick it up..
good luck..
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Chris4x4Gill2

I second WAAF.

A Craftsman mechanics kit with the basic 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" sockets. A good set of screw drivers and your common SAE and metric box end wrenches are you base.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Zebb

I agree with a craftsman set if you don't have anything. That will get you the basics in a bundled package. One thing I would add to it is a 1/2" breaker bar.
Zebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
cdowns

get an idea what the new ones are going for when you get that info b4 you buy go to pawn shops in the area and see if they have anything for a better price// sometimes they have good deals sometimes they are more expensive than new in some shops
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
BMERDOC

WAAF is right on with GearWrenches. I use them daily. If you get a 1/2" breaker bar, consider some impact sockets. Buy deep impacts before shallow. Buy a volt/ohm meter too, a good one.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
hatt

Sears has some pretty good deals right now. It appears the price is the same in HI. Pick up at store on most things.

Mechanics+Tool+Sets
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
essner

hey guys i have a 152 piece auto set from craftsman and i just bought a 8 piece box wrench set.....i also just got a heat gun, welder, clecos
essner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Craftsman used to be made by Stanley tool works through the 90's, That, and now that Kmart bought Sears out there made by some offshore, low bid, 5¢ an hour left handed child labor and are just about as good as any other no-name tool. I bought my last Craftsman tool when they replaced my old (circa 1970's) 1/2" drive ratchet with some light weight piece of offshore CRAP. The new POS was a sign of where Craftsman has gone,, the thing was broke right out of the package and wouldn't ratched in reverse. NO quality control needed when you make them for 3¢ each ,, just hand over another chrome plated POS if the customer has problems.

OK, rant off....

Like cdowns said, the local pawn shops will have some GREAT collections of OLD, QUALITY tools and for a lot less than the new. but you have no warrantee. Unfortunately..... it used to be you simply took the tool to Sears or the SnapOn dealer and it would be warranteed / repaired with no question. Now you have to show a receipt here in our local stores.

Craftsman my still be the best of the evils out there as far as buying a 'kit' as they are the only ones offering a nice 'collection' of hand tools you use every day. There now made by the same Danaher Tool Group that owns the offshore offerings of Craftsman, Husky (and I believe SK and a number of others).

The Lowes Kobalt line is a retaill grade made by SnapOn, and don't confuse one to be on the same quality as the other. Some are made in the same Snap-On plant, but to very different specs, materials, hardening and tolerances. But there still a darn decent tool. Not all of the Kobalt line is US made, but apparently all the wrenches and sockets are.

OK, history lesson off
For the money, the best hand tools I know of is PROTO. Yes there still around and supply tools to NASA and a lot of the aerospace and industry like GM and CAT. PROTO is a division of Stanly tool works Always has been, and 100% US made. You can order Proto on line through Grainger or MSC. There not a 'cheap' tool, and not the overpriced Snap-On either. IMO you do get what you pay for.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Craftsman used to be made by Stanley tool works through the 90's, That, and now that Kmart bought Sears out there made by some offshore, low bid, 5¢ an hour left handed child labor and are just about as good as any other no-name tool.
That's not entirely true. Made in the USA craftsman hand tools are made by the Danaher Corporation. Take a walk through sears and look at the hand tools. 95% of the HAND tools that are marked CRAFTSMAN will be stamped "made in USA". There are several lines and types of hand tools in a sears though. Gear wrench type wrenches will be made overseas. The lower cost "evolve" line will be imported too. Electric tools will also be imported.

I have bought a crap load of Craftsman hand tools over the past two years. Each tool is stamped "Made in USA".

and Kmart did not buy Sears. They are both owned by the same consortium.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
hatt

Craftsman is going China as hard as they can. A lot of the made in USA stuff Sears currently has is old stock. The new stuff is going to be China. If you're wanting USA Craftsman, the time to buy is now.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
Craftsman is going China as hard as they can. A lot of the made in USA stuff Sears currently has is old stock. The new stuff is going to be China. If you're wanting USA Craftsman, the time to buy is now.
do you have a link to where you found this information? If so I would like to read it.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
WAAF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Craftsman used to be made by Stanley tool works through the 90's, That, and now that Kmart bought Sears out there made by some offshore, low bid, 5¢ an hour left handed child labor and are just about as good as any other no-name tool. I bought my last Craftsman tool when they replaced my old (circa 1970's) 1/2" drive ratchet with some light weight piece of offshore CRAP. The new POS was a sign of where Craftsman has gone,, the thing was broke right out of the package and wouldn't ratched in reverse. NO quality control needed when you make them for 3¢ each ,, just hand over another chrome plated POS if the customer has problems.

OK, rant off....

Like cdowns said, the local pawn shops will have some GREAT collections of OLD, QUALITY tools and for a lot less than the new. but you have no warrantee. Unfortunately..... it used to be you simply took the tool to Sears or the SnapOn dealer and it would be warranteed / repaired with no question. Now you have to show a receipt here in our local stores.

Craftsman my still be the best of the evils out there as far as buying a 'kit' as they are the only ones offering a nice 'collection' of hand tools you use every day. There now made by the same Danaher Tool Group that owns the offshore offerings of Craftsman, Husky (and I believe SK and a number of others).

The Lowes Kobalt line is a retaill grade made by SnapOn, and don't confuse one to be on the same quality as the other. Some are made in the same Snap-On plant, but to very different specs, materials, hardening and tolerances. But there still a darn decent tool. Not all of the Kobalt line is US made, but apparently all the wrenches and sockets are.

OK, history lesson off
For the money, the best hand tools I know of is PROTO. Yes there still around and supply tools to NASA and a lot of the aerospace and industry like GM and CAT. PROTO is a division of Stanly tool works Always has been, and 100% US made. You can order Proto on line through Grainger or MSC. There not a 'cheap' tool, and not the overpriced Snap-On either. IMO you do get what you pay for.
yes some of your points are valid..BUT sears was owned buy overseas way before kmart came along..
and yes craftsmans tools that are carried in stores are cheaper made.. why because of the harbor freight crap and the like..
still you can walk into any sears with your broken tool and get a new one..
also.. sears craftsman has 2 lines the "we need to join them" instore cheaper but good enough for 90% of the buyers and the other "pro" line that is as good if not better than the older caftsman when there was only one line.. no different than snap on and their cheaper line blue point.. mac and matco/cornwell all have this..
difference is if a tool truck isn't around that pawn shop snap one tool is a paperweight when it breaks.. and they do break.. sears, walk on in..
pawn shops are great.. for extras, but for a beginer that needs everything. you just can't beat sears, and the sales at christmas.. join the craftsman tool club and save even more..
tubing wrenches are the only thing, I'll say not to get from sears, order a set from snap on..
if you work at a shop the tool trucks are great because they come to you.. and big buys they'll let you make payments.. buy that service is built into the price.. I have a ton of snap on.. great tools, but total over kill for the hobbist
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
yousesteers

When i was 16 or so my parents bought me one of the mechanics tool sets from Sears it had enough tools that you could get buy with it I do not know how many piece it was over time I have added to it. My dad also has a large rollaround cabinet full of Snap-on Tools he has had since 1974 and still adds to it. There is always something that you can add to any tool set to make things easier. I have either the 154 or 198 piece set in a case that it came in on sale under the back seat of my crew cab there is enough tools in it to fix anything along side the road that may come up except for a big hammer. Looks like this one. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=G1&adCell=W24 I would probably buy this set here if it is feasible for youhttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4348000P?mv=rr Then you can add to it you may want a pry bar set and a Punch and chisel set along with a couple of good various size hammers. Also a good storage cabinet is a must and you dont have to have the largest and most expensive rollaround cabinet. I have a nice roll around Craftsman cabinet that I got for a highschool graduation present and I bought a Snap-on top cabinet and side shelf a while back on an auction. Just look things over and see what you like as far as brand I have used them all and they will all break so warranty is worth something.
1966 IH Scout has been a work in progress for 16 yrs
yousesteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
do you have a link to where you found this information? If so I would like to read it.
You can do a search and find the info. Raised panel ratchets, full polish wrenches(they dropped the Professional line), impact sockets, etc are now being shipped in from China. Polished ratchets from Taiwan. All the new fangled stuff like universal sockets has always been imported. Who knows when/if the rest is going China. You can believe me or not but I'd buy stuff you've wanted/trade in broken tools now. This also isn't just a Craftsman problem. The other, and top dollar guys, are doing it too. Snapon no longer puts USA on ratchets. One can only guess why.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousesteers View Post
When i was 16 or so my parents bought me one of the mechanics tool sets from Sears it had enough tools that you could get buy with it I do not know how many piece it was over time I have added to it. My dad also has a large rollaround cabinet full of Snap-on Tools he has had since 1974 and still adds to it. There is always something that you can add to any tool set to make things easier. I have either the 154 or 198 piece set in a case that it came in on sale under the back seat of my crew cab there is enough tools in it to fix anything along side the road that may come up except for a big hammer. Looks like this one. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=G1&adCell=W24 I would probably buy this set here if it is feasible for youhttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4348000P?mv=rr Then you can add to it you may want a pry bar set and a Punch and chisel set along with a couple of good various size hammers. Also a good storage cabinet is a must and you dont have to have the largest and most expensive rollaround cabinet. I have a nice roll around Craftsman cabinet that I got for a highschool graduation present and I bought a Snap-on top cabinet and side shelf a while back on an auction. Just look things over and see what you like as far as brand I have used them all and they will all break so warranty is worth something.
Thanks for the link . I will be going after christmas to buy the 154 for my son in law . That will be a great starter for him .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #17
yousesteers

the 154 is a nice set and has it's own case that works great as a take a long set
1966 IH Scout has been a work in progress for 16 yrs
yousesteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #18
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I agree with the Craftsman crowd for the hobbyist.The only thing I want to add is that they up the tool count by adding stuff that you don't really need/want.So when choosing,check the list.They can add 100 hex key wrenches for next to nothing that you will use for the same and it makes a 42 piece set a 142 piece set with no added value.
After the starter set I suggest a set of gearwrenches,then add other things.Deep sockets(get impact ones)a second set of end wrenches,extra extensions,long handled ratchets,breaker bars.The pry bars,chisels and such can be bought for less if you seldom need them.I usually consider prybars,chisels,scrapers and such as two different tool choices.I like to have goiod quality ones for direct work and cheapo's for abusive stuff and junkyarding(doubt there's much in the way of JY's is Hi).I buy wire brushes and other "expendables" from HF or NT.
Another option is to watch CL for a pro or a didn't quite make a line mech that is getting out and wants to sell his whole setup.Sometimes you can get a box and tools for a good buy that way,just make sure to check what's there.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote