The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
kp110477

LS Swap Book Reviews / Advice

I'm new to wrenching... REALLY new, and am intimidated by the depth of knowledge and skill these swaps require. Therefore I was looking for a book or DVD or other media that really holds your hand through the whole process. I ran across this book book on amazon and was wondering if you greasers knew anything about it, or had any recommendations on other sources of info.

I'm on the fence about whether to rebuild the 350 TBI in my 89 V1500 Chevy Suburban or to try my hand at the LS Swap with an LQ4/4L80E. I'm so green that either of these is going to prove challenging, and was wondering what your thoughts were. Thank you for your time.
kp110477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
feller

Re: LS Swap Book Reviews / Advice

you got a bad link i think. but my wounerful wife got me the sa design book how to swap an ls into almost anything. its ok but it is prety much the same info i have found on the net and it seems to be centered atound street and performance they have a website and some good info there and you can always google search the topic and find just as much info. just my .02
feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
pat565

If you are willing to learn, go with the LS swap. Either way you will find obsticales, but the newer engine stuff is leading the way of the future. You might as well get with the more cuirrent technoligy now
pat565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
mooseknuckles

I agree......the old school smallblock is a 100 years old, time to let go...R.I.P.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Honestly, you don't need a book for the swap. The hardest parts are the little things, that even most books won't cover because of the subtleties like engine year, dbw etc.

Read the faq threads and builds we have here...then just ask!
There are at least 30 good builds to read (completed swaps, good parts, detailed) plus many more to browse for ideas.
Save the 350 for a rainy day if you really want to rebuild it...but after you put the cash in, you'll still fall short of where a stockish lq4 would get you, plus you get the bonus of a very stout o/d trans.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Before I began my swap I purchased "How to swap GM LS-series Engines into almost anything"........Next to worthless, to me anyway. It pushes S&P products ($$$) more than it gives info. You're in the right place, read the Swap FAQ and as BR3W said, Ask questions.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
feller

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
Before I began my swap I purchased "How to swap GM LS-series Engines into almost anything"........Next to worthless, to me anyway. It pushes S&P products ($$$) more than it gives info. You're in the right place, read the Swap FAQ and as BR3W said, Ask questions.
this is exactly what i was tryn to say. i agree, glad im not the only one who thought this. there is nothing in this book diffrent than what i have found through a google search.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
kp110477

Just as I suspected. Thank you all for your help and advice. I feel a lot more confident I can make this happen on my own, but if I get lost, my brother is a master mechanic with GM and I also have you fine people to lean on as well.

Thanks again,
KP
kp110477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
feller

anything you need just ask. i might not know but if i do ill help, if i dont someone else will.