The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
93FatBottom

454 Vacuum Diagram

Sorry guys, last post of the morning I promise.

My 454 is a 1984 out of a motorhome. Theres a boat load of vacuum lines and ports all over this dang thing, and its all unplugged. I don't know how it goes back together, the motor came with half of the vacuum lines disconnected. I've been searching, but I cannot locate a diagram that shows where all the lines go. I know some go to the valve for the smog pump, but I don't plan to run the smog pump, so I figured I would just plug the line at that point. As for the rest, I honestly have no clue where the lines go. I need the diagram for the entire vacuum system, including the quadrajet carb, the vacuum advance timing for my distributor, and so on and so forth. If anyone can offer me assistance, that would be awesome. When I have her ready to go I want all the vacuum lines done. I'm dropping it in complete so all I gotta do is fuel, power and exhaust and go. I have the wire harness, I have EVERYTHING. Just need the vacuum. Thanks guys!
93FatBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
donut

Re: 454 Vacuum Diagram

The diagram "should" be on the front of the air cleaner. I had to become friendly with mine when I was replacing/removing lines on my '86.
If you don't have it, I'll can try to get a pic of it for you tomorrow. Mine is in a pickup, but shouldn't be much different.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
93FatBottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
The diagram "should" be on the front of the air cleaner. I had to become friendly with mine when I was replacing/removing lines on my '86.
If you don't have it, I'll can try to get a pic of it for you tomorrow. Mine is in a pickup, but shouldn't be much different.
I would really appreciate it! My truck has no air cleaner. The small block 400 it had had an autozone edelbrock air cleaner, and the 454 didn't come with the cleaner. It's going into a truck so that would be awesome! Thanks!
93FatBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Junqueboi

I can take a pic of the diagram in my '87 C30 late tonight if you don't have a pic by then. You'll be so surprised how much of those hoses will disappear when you remove the smog pump(s).

Does your engine have 2 smog pumps? Many mid to late 80's 454s (and some 350's) have a smog pump for each cylinder head...maddening.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
donut

Mine did have 2 pumps, and the "spider" feeding air into the exhaust. Hopefully this pic will help.
I did use this diagram and looking into the engine compartment to determine what was what. I believe all I kept was the vapor canister and the essentials. (trans., vac advance, etc.) Most of my lines had rotted off, but were still laying on the intake.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Junqueboi

GREAT pic. If you eliminate the smog pumps, you can eliminate all plumbing to the deacceleration valve also. That'll clean up a lot.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
donut

What I'm questioning is what does CA require for emissions? Mine may have had 2 AIR pumps, and a ton of vacuum lines, but no cats, ecm, even my fuel inlets on the gas tank are larger for leaded fuel. The dual exhaust was factory to my knowledge.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
beamn7

CA requires it to meet that vehicle model year emissions OR, if you swap the engine with a later one, it must meet that engine model year emissions. You can not install a engine that is a earlier model year than the model year of the vehicle. If you take a vehicle that was equipped with a smallblock and install a big block, it will require all the emissions equipment of the model year of the engine (not the truck but must be same model year or newer than the truck) and will be required to be inspected by a CA smog referee to verify the installation prior to smogging or obtaining registration. You can most likely change engine sizes if within the same engine family without requiring a engine swap cert (say going from 305 to 350, etc) since they are mostly identical and as long as you keep ALL the emissions equipment that the vehicle was originally equipped with. If the smog guy sees the vin calls for a 350 and under the hood is a 454 and no engine swap certification sticker from CA air resource board it means instant failure = no registration.... CA is VERY strict but............if you do it right, no problem to pass.

Or........................you can just register in AZ like 93fatbottom!

Last edited by beamn7; 02-08-2012 at 09:33 PM.
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote