The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
L&L70

Z'd frame core support clearance

Hello,
I cut my Z on an angle to push forward and inch while going up 3". Looking at my assembled truck in the drive way, it looks like I will have some interference between either the radiator or core support when I drop the frame horns down and back. The frame horns will actually be going down 3.75" cause of my body drop. What issues have you guys had when doing this. The truck I looked at is a 70 with manual steering and the chassis being worked on is a 71 with manual steering. Also is there a difference in size if I later go to power steering? Thanks

Matt
L&L70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
L&L70

Re: Z'd frame core support clearance

do we need some pictures to get some answers?
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
SCOTI

You'll need to build things specific to your cuts & build.

If measured out, the front should need the difference that the spindle C/L was moved cut out of the frame. The cut will need to be as close to the steering box as possible while allowing clearance for the radiator once it's dropped. Chances are, you'll need to tweak where the radiator sits as it might need to be shifted forward slightly (again, depending on how the cut is made, radiator size, etc...).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
L&L70

Knowing that it has to come back and inch, it is what it is. I was just wondering if out of all the people on this board that has shifted their front end forward while doing this, what they did to fit the core and radiator back in place. Also is there a sizable difference between manual or power steering boxes?

Matt
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&L70 View Post
Knowing that it has to come back and inch, it is what it is. I was just wondering if out of all the people on this board that has shifted their front end forward while doing this, what they did to fit the core and radiator back in place. Also is there a sizable difference between manual or power steering boxes?

Matt
I don't recall reading on any of the build threads from here w/Z's where they shifted it forward @ the same time. I know people have done it that way, I just don't remember reading the specific details on here. Most I've read about just did a straight vertical cut.

Before I did a Dropmember, I had planned/plotted out an angled 'Z' on a 68 frame (3" up; 1.5" forward). When I measured for the core support drop, there was enough material to remove the 1.5" I would have needed in front of the steering gear (manual steering box). I figured I might need to push the bottom of the radiator forward slightly or pie cut the rail where it was stepped for clearance but ultimately never made it far enough to see how much if any was needed.

Wish I could offer more help.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
L&L70

I was wondering if you were going to mention a dropmember. Truth be told, I looked at so many threads, who knows where I saw builds with angle cuts. Im sure I have the thinest radiator, 6cyl, manual trans and no a/c, so I will see what happens in the time to come. Thanks for your help

Matt