The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2003, 07:56 AM   #1
tech1

Talking Need Advise about shaving.

Ok Guys. I need your advise about shaving my door handels. The body shop just called and told me they put my corners and rockers on and filled the gas neck hole. They asked me if I was going to shave the handels. They have never done it but are willing to. I just need to get them info on it and what is the best kit. I am not puting power windows or locks in. Also do you remove the locks from the inside also? Any and all info would be great. Thanks
tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:15 AM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

Always make sure the face is warm and moist. After applying the shave cream, work... oh wait...

To shave the door handles, you won't need any of the existing lock or latch mechanisms except the catch itself. All a lock does is disable the handle, so since there are no handles, you don't need locks. A number of kits are available these days (try AutoLoc for a wide selection or look on Ebay). What you'll need is a solenoid with a pretty strong pull since these trucks are old and heavy. It's got to be strong enough to yank the catch open. You'll probably also want what are usually called 'door poppers.' These mount down where the rubber bump stop goes and they give the door a little kick out when opened. I personally don't like them because they can put pre-tension on the door latch, making it harder for the solenoid to pop the door... but it does make it easier to get your fingers in the jam when it pops.

I've had a dozen vehicles with shaved handles and have done them all different ways. My current truck uses hatch release motors from F-body hatches. I believe the same motor is used for most GM trunks (except the ones that close themselves). I did a cantilever system to get more pull distance than the motor could provide, but it's got plenty of umph to do the extra work the cantilever causes.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:28 AM   #3
tech1

Great thanks. Do you guys like the shaved look? Is there any good complete kits out there? I want to make this as easy for the shop as I can. Thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i perfer the normal stock look but its a matter of your personal tastes

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:18 AM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tech1
Great thanks. Do you guys like the shaved look? Is there any good complete kits out there? I want to make this as easy for the shop as I can. Thanks
There is no 100% bolt-in kit that I'm aware of. They are all going to be "universal" and will require some trial and error fitting. While they're shaving, think about what you want to do with the old door lock knob. Here's what I did. I shaved the bump on the inside of the door too

Last edited by XXL; 04-30-2003 at 10:29 AM.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #6
tech1

OK that looks great. But how about instead of shaving them. Puting new style chevy truck handles? Can it be done and has anyone here? Thanks Guys
Old 04-30-2003, 04:38 PM   #7
tech1

TTT

Old 04-30-2003, 06:43 PM   #8
68CST327

I wouldn't put newer style handles on there, it would ruin the look of the truck as far as I'm concerned. IMO nothing beats the stock door handles for cosmetic factor and functionality.

By the way, I wouldn't even think about shaving the handles, but that's just my opinion. Unless you have a super-duper tricked out, bagged, custom painted, etc. truck, then shaving stuff looks lame to me.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:53 AM   #9
tech1

OK It is going to be a custom job. It will have a 3-4 drop, shaved dash pad, balzer tank, cowl hood, 700r4, 17" or 18" and baby blue color

Thanks

Old 05-01-2003, 01:51 PM   #10
68CST327

I'd stick with the original style handles.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #11
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

If your going custom, you must be wanting to be a little different. I say go for it. I think it would be great to see a flush door handle like they have on new trucks. Sometimes you don't want to do things because it looks good, but because its new and different. And you know what, even if it doesn't look good, as long at it is a cool idea and totally custom, someone will say, "That looks great!" Good luck!

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote