The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Redleg

Inner Cab Repair Panel...OUCH!!!!

Ok, i know there are a couple of post about this......

However, i need mine fixed. Just called the recommended local hot rod builder locally and he estimated it would be around $500 to cut out the old part and weld in the new.

That doesnt include the at least $100 for the patch panel itself or any paint...

Oh and the windshield replacement....Which is another $250 to safelite....

So what I am asking is this. Besides being a good welder...What skills would be needed to do this? I dont have a welder, or hell even a shop, just my carport.....

So is the $500 way to much like i feel it is? If i had a friend with a welder should we give it a shot???

Any advice is going to be GREATLY appreciated believe me!
Attached Images

Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
dfwright

Re: Inner Cab Repair Panel...OUCH!!!!

Everyone has different pain points, I guess. If it were me in your place, since the inner roof is a part you are going to see every time you get in the truck, I would want that done right. $500 doesn't sound out of line to have it done right, IMO.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
19stepSide72
wanna be 67

Spend the money and have it done right.
Posted via Mobile Device
19stepSide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
FrankieD

The first thing you need to look at is what you intend to do with the truck and what you are willing to spend total on it. A lot of times you cut into one part it shows more bad stuff so look real hard. If you don't want to spend that much money on it I would sell it and look for some thing better. I would think being in the south you could find something with out a lot of rust.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
old Chevy guy

Im doing that repair on my truck today,not imposable but also not for the faint of heart.Just so you know too for what its worth if you shop around enough online you can find that panel for $72. I wont mention where,unfortunatly the place was not a site suporter,but It was the same tri plus panel everone has and it fit up realy good. I tried to use a supporting vender but it was a lot cheaper and I used the money I saved to buy a rain gutter for the side, over the drivers door. I couldnt even find that anywhere else. You need a freind who is welder not just has a welder. It seems like kind of a lot if thier not going to paint it. Is he gonna finish it ready to paint? filler and such? $250 seem like a lot for a windshield too, around here guys come right to to your house and do the whole job for $150 or less. Check around for other prices,if you needed an operation you'd talk to more than one doctor right?
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Old Chevy guy, I didn't know it was taboo to mention where you got the part from. A lot of people mention other vendors that are not members.

Re. cost of repair.. The cost is not unreasonable since that area of the roof is very susceptible to rusting. It's out site and by the time you notice the damage it's already gone farther inside. Here in Texas, just about every truck I look at has the raindrip, top of windshield rust through. I've been shopping for a decent cab for my 69 for the same problem to no avail yet.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
The first thing you need to look at is what you intend to do with the truck and what you are willing to spend total on it. A lot of times you cut into one part it shows more bad stuff so look real hard. If you don't want to spend that much money on it I would sell it and look for some thing better. I would think being in the south you could find something with out a lot of rust.
There are very few "rust free southern cars" or trucks!
I think any we might have had are already long gone!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
mcbassin
Still Learning

I just tid this repair a few weeks ago on my cab. It's not too bad. Just try not to catch your shirt on fire like I did . I used a Tri-plus patch I bought from a fellow board member. It fit great, I would recommend it. PICTURES HERE
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
FrankieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
There are very few "rust free southern cars" or trucks!
I think any we might have had are already long gone!
Mike.
I hear ya we have salt on the streets you have a lot of humidity that rust these trucks up. Doing a rebuild is hard and you need tools, space or a friend with them and the cash. I got lucky with mine but still will end up putting $1000's in it. The biggest thing for me is time.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
mbgmike

at $50 per hour that is only 10hrs work. running a legitimate business takes money. A shop has to stay in business and it is not easy. $500.00 is a fair price. Everyone wants it cheap cheap cheap. Spend $50,000 and up and you too can have a small shop and do it yourself. Then you can appreciate the $50.00 per hour rate. mech work is 96-120 per hour
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
..... Spend $50,000 and up and you too can have a small shop and do it yourself. Then you can appreciate the $50.00 per hour rate. mech work is 96-120 per hour
Don't forget about the hundreds of hours of training to get good at it.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
FrankieD

I think the bottom line is it is expensive fixing these or any other vehicle if you do it yourself and really expensive if you can't. Joel sounds like you don't have much choice but pay someone to do it, you can try a local body shop just to check price. I would also check around around on the price of the glass again try a body shop or another glass company you could also call your insurance agent and see who they use.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
duallyjams

That's a good price not to mention that they are even will to do it around here the body shops wont touch anything that's not a collision repair covered by insurance or if you find a body guy that does side work after it sits at his house for 2 yrs with nothing being done except parts are missing that were there when you left it and yeah I have a lot of friends with the same story so yeah that is a good price.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

That's a day's pay including supplies these days.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
ryanroo

being a welder and fabricator in my professional life i say that price is more than fair. at the current shop rate at my place of employment that is only 5.75 hours. i know i cant do it in that amount of time. for the price i charge for side work in my garage it would easily cost 400. that is 10 hours and some extra for consumables. im not even sure i could get it done that quick. 500 is more than fair. like it was said, someone with a welder is not necessarily a weldor. pay the man for good work or be content with less than awesome outcome

Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
Redleg

Its good to know the price is reasonable. And first and foremost im not questioning him overcharging, what im really questioning is can i get this done right for cheaper.... meaning how hard is it, can a friend who has good welding skills and 3 differant welders accomplish it? I think from the responses ive seen, this is a "leave it to the professionals" type job...

As for the windshield cost, i had decided to go with safelite because i have heard too many horror stories about people breaking them. With safelite if they break it, they fix it, im still only out the $250. And they guarentee no leaks.

Im looking at doing the windshield myself, but just the parts are $150.

I REALLY dont want to just throw another windshield in there over the rust. I want to get it fixed.....

However, this truck is my "Daily Driver" along with the Harley, and i HAVE to get the windshield fixed as the inspection is coming due soon. But due to owing Uncle Sam a butt load of money this year, and paying a mortgate and a rent payment, im just very leary on spending the close to 1K it would take to get this done!

And that is where my other dilemna comes in. Its hard for me justifying paying $850 total to fix one problem when thats 1/4 of what I paid for the truck.... Besides that one spot on the cab, it is in great shape, floors are good, cab corners are good....Just the rockers and inner cab panel....So i really cant justify dumping the cab for that you know?

So after a long ramble.... It boils down to this. I REALLY dont WANT to have to spend $850 to fix this problem, but i still want the job done right. And for those asking what the plans for this truck are. Well it changes everytime i change pants. But the final plan right now is a "NICER" version of the shop truck it is now....
Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Think of it this way..if you ONLY have to spend $900 on your cab for rust repairs then consider yourself one lucky SOB compared to most guys!!! And once you do the repair your cab is now worth the price you paid of you entire truck..at least in some states But in the end it depends on if you want a clean truck for a long time or just throw it together for a beater driver.

Nate

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
Think of it this way..if you ONLY have to spend $900 on your cab for rust repairs then consider yourself one lucky SOB compared to most guys!!! And once you do the repair your cab is now worth the price you paid of you entire truck..at least in some states But in the end it depends on if you want a clean truck for a long time or just throw it together for a beater driver.

Nate
You have a great point. Just still kicking my ass right now! For some reason had it in my head it wouldnt take much to repair that spot.....

Remember what they say about assuming. Guess whos the ASS lol...

Im probably going to bite the bullet and do it right.... Just might have to wait a little longer than i want.

Crappy part is i just spent that exact amount building a new motor. And dont even have it put together yet!!! DOH!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Coley

Smile Re: Inner Cab Repair Panel...OUCH!!!!

Looks like a fair price to me....but if its too rich for your blood (and wallet) maybe see if there is something you can partially trade towards the cost/effort?
ie: tools, truck stuff or? You never know...the guy might be in need of a fridge, lawnmower,....who knows and will cut off a couple hundred bucks for something useful.
Good luck
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Looks like a fair price to me....but if its too rich for your blood (and wallet) maybe see if there is something you can partially trade towards the cost/effort?
ie: tools, truck stuff or? You never know...the guy might be in need of a fridge, lawnmower,....who knows and will cut off a couple hundred bucks for something useful.
Good luck
Coley
Thats not a half bad idea..... I do have a couple of engine blocks, heads, manifolds etc..... And im going to pull the Boss amp and Speaker from under the seat sometime soon. Its not a cheap system and sounds good, the P.O. put it in there, i just am not one to go rattling the metal around from music.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
FrankieD

I do a lot of Craigs List for extra money Buy low re-sell High.