The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Pale Face in a 58

58 suspension upgrades

I am new to your forum and would like to get started by asking several questions regarding suspension upgrades that have been SUCCESSFUL on a 1958 Pickup.

I recently purchased a 58 Apache Short Bed Stepside from a gentleman that advertised it as having "front & rear suspension from a car." It was priced right so I went to look at it, only to be shocked at what I saw. He had sub-framed and back-half-ed it with a 1972 Ford Torino. The frames aren't even remotely close and the bed is now 8" higher than the bottom of the cab! I felt so sorry for the truck that I bought it and happily drug it home.

My purpose: I would like to build a fun cruiser for my two boys and myself (moms not into it yet!). Nothing radical. Possibly a later model 6 liter.
I am like most other dads out there who can't dump 50k into a show truck with a family depending on me, but would like to have something that we can have fun in and will still stop and steer when I need it to.
I can do almost anything with a little guidance and have owned probably 50 or so cars, but I have not tackled a frame/suspension overhaul such as this and am a little confused as what is the best for my situation.

Some say...... Trans-Am/Firebird sub-frame, entire frame swap, new Mustang II type front end. I'M CONFUSED.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated!
Pale Face in a 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: 58 suspension upgrades

since your new, you could try reading all the 55-59 truck builds here.
no sense rehashing what we already wrote down for you too read

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Rude Dude

Hope you only paid a very low price, I would have walked away from what you described but thats me, sometimes trying to fix someone else nightmare isn't worth getting it cheap.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
OrrieG

Assume the frame is scrap. Look at the build threads here and decide on where your skill set (looks like a good resume to me), time and money will align. Basic options in my mind are.
- Find a stock frame with stock front suspension. Upgrade to discs and newer mc. Camaro or ?? rear axle, may as well get something with discs too.
- Stock frame with Camaro Firebird front clip and rear axle. Been done a lot, parts easy to get.
- Stock frame with IFS front and 4 link rear. Lots of examples here.
- Frame swap with newer truck or auto.
You may end up getting another truck, bare frames seem to be hard to come by. Not a bad thing, you would end up with other parts to sell to offset the cost.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Pale Face in a 58

Mr. Dog,
The best part about my story was that the gentleman and his son lost interest in the project in the very early stage. They only tack welded the sub-frame and rear section. Thats as far as they got! Its a Texas truck that is very straight with very minimal rust. $500 was also the reason I drug it home!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Pale Face in a 58

Smile Re: 58 suspension upgrades

OrrieG,

Thank you for the tips. I have access to just about all of the different options you presented.
I will do my research and choose accordingly.... I am leaning toward the IFS since I have a buddy that builds street rod and drag frames. I have yet to pick his brain....
I will keep you informed on my choosing and maybe you can share any of experiences you may have had to steer me away from possible pitfalls!
Thanks again......
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
meter swinger

Welcome to the forum.
Some pics would be great. Particularly of the frame and the areas your talking about.
That would help guys that have done clip repairs give you some direction.
I can relate to the budget build. I have five sons and try to get them interested in my vehicles, mine however just want to go shoot everthing that moves, and arent that into wrenches...yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Pale Face in a 58

Meter Swinger,
Good idea about posting pictures. That will be my week-end project. My boys would also rather shoot things up too. Its a good healthy boy thing!
Ill be waiting for your opinion after I get the pics on.
Thank You.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
jaredbaker919

Just go ahead and buy a junk s10...swap the body, throw in a $400 dollar 350 sbc, And you will be so far ahead. because if your not careful,, your boys will be grown and gone, and you will still have a project tore apart in the back yard. an s10 frame will give you all the modern suspension and they are dirt cheap... unless you can find a frame from a 87 or earlier c10,, that would work too.. Good luck
jaredbaker919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Pale Face in a 58

Jared,

You are a realist and I admire that. I do want this to be a project with my boys but not a drawn out mess that takes years! Everyone has a tendency to lose interest if something takes too long, especially kids. Great advice that I will definately heavily consider. I have been know to lose interest in a few hundred projects in my 46 years!

I know a ton of old car/truck guys locally that can hook me up with either the s10 or the c10. If the shoe was on your foot, which one would you prefer? I presume (I realize I would measure first) the s10 would need to be an extended cab or long bed, and the c10 a short bed. Correct?????

Thanks........
Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #11
junkadelic

I cant remember the exact measurment on the long bed s10 wheel base but I thinks its close,, if u can get the later c10 ,,,that would be the way to go...look at the forums in all the different yr groups of chevy trucks on the site,,if u dig deep,, I garauntee u will find somebody doing what u are considering...there are a lot of good builders all over the 67_72 chevy trucks site...
Posted via Mobile Device
junkadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Face in a 58 View Post
Jared,

You are a realist and I admire that. I do want this to be a project with my boys but not a drawn out mess that takes years! Everyone has a tendency to lose interest if something takes too long, especially kids. Great advice that I will definately heavily consider. I have been know to lose interest in a few hundred projects in my 46 years!

I know a ton of old car/truck guys locally that can hook me up with either the s10 or the c10. If the shoe was on your foot, which one would you prefer? I presume (I realize I would measure first) the s10 would need to be an extended cab or long bed, and the c10 a short bed. Correct?????

Thanks........
PF: Take a look at the thread I just posted asking for input on using a GMC Envoy or Chevy Trailblazer frame for my 1959 Fleetside. It has a few pictures. My research shows that it will be a pretty clean and quick swap and there are plenty of the frames available. I am hope my thread generates some input this weekend so I can go one way or the other on Monday. Like was suggested earlier in your thread, spend a few hours looking at the talent shown in the other build projects. It will help keep you motivated.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Pale Face in a 58

Thanks Dug,

Very interesting stuff. I love the idea of the later model components & engineering. Your right, there is alot of brilliant people and ideas on this forum. Cant wait to see the possible Envoy / Trailblazer transformation. Sounds perfect.
Thanks for the tips.