The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Jsoden

My '67 c10

First time posting on these forums. I'm working on an old c10 that's been in my family since it was new. The thing has sat up for several years and is in sad shape. The city is calling it a public nuisance and threatening to tow her off and cube her so I've got ten days to get her road ready. A full restore is my long term goal, but for now I've got to get her running and inspected again. I've done a complete engine swap and drained the bad fuel out. Now after putting a few gallons of good gas in she still won't stop. It looks like there's a blockage in the tank because I know the fuel pump is good. It'll run if I pour gas in the carbs. I'd appreciate any advise that can help me get this moving.
Jsoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: My '67 c10

From what I've seen here the recommended thing to do first would be to make sure your gas cap is venting. When in doubt, replace it. NAPA has the appropriate one for about $7. Have you tried to run it with the cap off? Have you pulled the sender out to see the general condition of it and the inside of the tank?
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Tinkermc

I am not a smart a$$ or something but does your question involve starting the engine, you said it runs if you pour gas in the carb. Or you said it won't stop. Does the parking break work? Have you changed the fluid? Better defination could lead to much better ideas of a proper fix.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Jsoden

Pulled the sending unit today. The tank is definitely the problem. It looks like moisture was able to seep in during the time it sat up because it's rusted over bad. I've gonna pull it and either clean it or replace it.

I'm also going to replace the sending unit and the gas cap while I have it out because both were pretty bad.

Mechanically the truck is fine. There's no problem starting or running. It's just not getting gas up there because of the rust.

If you guys have any tips on the best way to clean out a tank I'd love it. That'd save me a lot of time/money.

Thanks for all the help.

There's what the sending unit looks like.

Last edited by Jsoden; 04-22-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Adding picture.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Jsoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
I am not a smart a$$ or something but does your question involve starting the engine, you said it runs if you pour gas in the carb. Or you said it won't stop. Does the parking break work? Have you changed the fluid? Better defination could lead to much better ideas of a proper fix.
Yeah that was meant to say it won't start. My fingers got ahead of my brain there.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
BMERDOC

There are several home remedies that are used to clean a tank which include stuff like chains and muratic acid but I'd try to find a radiator shop that can do it for you. Mine cost $125 to do. Between materials and my labor it was worth farming it out. Using the search field at the top of the screen, type "clean tank" and you'll find a bunch of threads addressing the job if you're still interested in doing the job yourself.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Jsoden

Hitting the tank with powerwasher today. We'll see how it turns out.
Posted via Mobile Device