The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Steinerj56

New to site, new project... 72 C10 I picked up and drove home 3hrs.

Here it is. Honestly couldn't be happier having this truck. It needs some work but thats why I bought it. Went to back to the 50's that was put on by the MSRA swap meet and found a vendor near me. Bought both cab corners and rocker panels that will need to be welded in.

1st question I do have as I am new to the whole "carburetor" vintage...
Any ideas why the previous owner would wire tie the 4 barrel shut and keeping it from opening up? I removed the wire and found there is some linkage missing that I will need to replace. The carb has a couple of small leaks that I can see.
Any suggestions on having it rebuilt or should I just buy a new one with an electric choke? Or since it will be garaged in the winter to I run with no choke at all? I have been told the quadrajet is a good carb if built right and adjusted properly. Is it?

Picked up some new valve covers and this weekend its time to stop some oil leaks by replacing the oil pan gasket and rear main oil seal. Then this winter engine comes out and gets an overhaul and cleaning. Probably will stick with the Chevy orange engine paint. Looks to be the original engine in this truck but the thing runs good. Hoping once I get the carb redone or replaced it runs like a raped ape like I have been told they do. Also will be stripping her down to the frame and restoring it completely.... Honestly cant wait for the sense of accomplishment that comes with redoing something yourself. Especially when I see what the previous owner has done and just gotta shake my head and say WTF.

Also wondering if any suggestions as where to start?

Thanks for any and all help!

Joe
Attached Images

Steinerj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: New to site, new project... 72 C10 I picked up and drove home 3hrs.

nice place to start
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Roninwolf

Nice Truck!! Like those old 70's wheels, as for the carb being wire tied shut could be many reasons it was done like keep the back barrels from kicking in in passing gear? Or have seen
ppl swap from 2barrel to 4 because some say as long as you dont use the back barrels the quad get better gas milage so who knows. If any of the throttle shafts leak you might want to go ahead and invest in a reman or new Quad.
90 Z71 S.B. 434 C.I. Stroker
78 Camaro Z28 (gave to wife she is restoring it)
Roninwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Steinerj56

Only been a few months and things have changed...

Chrome valve covers, chrome air cleaner, plywood put in bed to cover holes for time being, radio in glove box, new rear main and oil pan gasket, new trans pan gasket, and finally went to an hei distributor. No more points! Original engine and man did it leak when I got it!

New baby born Monday! My first son! Gonna take him for his first ride in the truck tomorrow.

I love this damn truck! Now just gotta get the house we put an offer in on a few months ago so I can tear it all apart in the garage!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Roninwolf

CONGRATS on the new baby boy!!!!!! now you got 16 years to get that truck ready for him lol.
90 Z71 S.B. 434 C.I. Stroker
78 Camaro Z28 (gave to wife she is restoring it)
Roninwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
Steinerj56

updated... thanks for the help I have found from this site cause there has been a lot as I learn the rebuilding process. here are some updated pics. I started at the engine rebuild. hope that was the right choice.

here are some pics of the wife helping out this winter, then engine removed, prior to disassemble, disassembled, and the starting point after machine shop.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Maximuz
Account Suspended

looks like a sweet project! Keep the pics flowing
Maximuz is offline   Reply With Quote