The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
dkauffman05

a/c setup

Going to be installing a/c in my 68 with a non a/c cab. I want to see some setups on trucks and what brand. I currently have a 5.3 with f- body alt setup eith spacers to work with truck balancer. I do have the compresdor that came with my 5.3 when i got it ,so i can use it along with the bracket because it uses its own belt. Need advice on a setup.
dkauffman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
NEALS49

Re: a/c setup

Here is some pics, I did this install for a friend last years with Old Air and this year added a LS swap using the R4 compressor. Wish I had taken more pics on the air install any way. Hopefully something you can use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neals49...7626520897970/
See My Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/neals49/collections/
See you on: http://www.facebook.com/neals49mygarage
Group Photo Pool 47-55 1st AD trucks: http://www.flickr.com/groups/advanceddesign
NEALS49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
TR65

Mr. D,

Here is how I did my 65 6.0LS2.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=468107

Maybe give you some ideas.

Good luck,

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
ADub

I'm running Vintage Air. Engine has the stock GM truck WP, ALT/PS bracket, and the Vintage Air/Kwik bracket for the A/C. I wouldn't recommend the Kwik bracket. Dirty Dingo makes a better setup and Holley will be releasing one soon as well.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub View Post
I'm running Vintage Air. Engine has the stock GM truck WP, ALT/PS bracket, and the Vintage Air/Kwik bracket for the A/C. I wouldn't recommend the Kwik bracket. Dirty Dingo makes a better setup and Holley will be releasing one soon as well.
What didn't you like about the Kwik bracket?
I've already got one but haven't gotten to putting it on yet.
Kim
Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
ADub

1) I bought it through Vintage Air, but they had no interest in supporting it. Kwik was easy to get in touch with, but he acted like issues were rare.

2) I didn't do any research before I bought it. Just google Kwik Bracket Squeal. Overall, it just doesn't line up well. I ended up replacing the belt and both pulleys (~$100), adjusted it a dozen times, added washers here and there etc. Finally adding one washer behind all the mounts to space it out forward quieted it down. Haven't had any issues since.

3) Its definitely the best marketed bracket set out there. I counted over 50 on Power Tour. Most of them had been modified because of issues.

4) It doesn't look similar to the factory bracket on the other side of the engine. Holley has released a bracket to accept the stock compressor that looks very similar to the factory ALT bracket. Their site says they will have an R4/Sanden version out soon.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
farmtrucks

Mine is Vintage Air Sure Fit kit without compressor and bracket, I used stock 5.3 compressor, doc blocs fittings - works great. It is a tight fit, and I never cut anything on frame for clearance.

farmtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Kim57

Quote:
1) I bought it through Vintage Air, but they had no interest in supporting it. Kwik was easy to get in touch with, but he acted like issues were rare.

2) I didn't do any research before I bought it. Just google Kwik Bracket Squeal. Overall, it just doesn't line up well. I ended up replacing the belt and both pulleys (~$100), adjusted it a dozen times, added washers here and there etc. Finally adding one washer behind all the mounts to space it out forward quieted it down. Haven't had any issues since.

3) Its definitely the best marketed bracket set out there. I counted over 50 on Power Tour. Most of them had been modified because of issues.

4) It doesn't look similar to the factory bracket on the other side of the engine. Holley has released a bracket to accept the stock compressor that looks very similar to the factory ALT bracket. Their site says they will have an R4/Sanden version out soon.
Thanks for the info.
Kim
Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Indian113

Has anyone tried the Alan Grove brackets? They are $225.00 and look pretty good,their made for the 508 compresser.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
chevy-fun

i may be buying alan grove's kit next week. i thought about kwik's kit but you still need to get a few things to make complete.
chevy-fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
68 short step

Quote:

ive used the kwik bracket setup, it was on the car accys. not the trucks, but everything lined up perfect and went together easily...the only extra piece i needed was the belt (i knew this ahead of time tho), but the directions included the part number of the belt... i admit the apperance could be alot better, but its a trade off since there isnt alot of top mount opitions that look good vs. costs..

why didnt you go with VA low mount setup, or even the stock style truck compressor?

68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
ive used the kwik bracket setup, it was on the car accys. not the trucks, but everything lined up perfect and went together easily...the only extra piece i needed was the belt (i knew this ahead of time tho), but the directions included the part number of the belt... i admit the apperance could be alot better, but its a trade off since there isnt alot of top mount opitions that look good vs. costs..

why didnt you go with VA low mount setup, or even the stock style truck compressor?

Nice looking engine. I like the coil covers.
Kim
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
ADub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post

The low mount brackets dont work with the offset of the truck accessories. I wasn't interested in piecing a kit together, Im not an AC expert.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
dkauffman05

I think im headed in farmtrucks direction. i like the idea of keeping it low and i already have a stock comp and bracket so i can save some $$.
dkauffman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
eagleuh1

What condensors is everyone using? Does it blow cold air. I'm using the stock R12 condensor with the stock 5.3 compressor and a slighly modified stock 68 evaporator. Using an R134 orifice tube braised to evaporator. White GM orifice. Blows cool, but not cold. Thinking about putting a fan on the evaporator. Too many gaps between radiator and condensor to get good airflow sitting still.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote