The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
lamboguy1

1967 GMC 1/2 ton as first car?

I'm looking to buy a truck, and ran across this 1967 GMC 1/2 ton on craigslist.

Any opinions on buying something of this vintage as a first car/daily driver? And how much would you say this truck is actually worth?

Thanks!
lamboguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: 1967 GMC 1/2 ton as first car?

Are you mechanically inclined?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
lamboguy1

I am, but have never worked on cars before, it's been bicycles and my pop-up camper.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I would pass on it as a daily driver then. It's a 40 year old vehicle with a dang near obsolete V6 engine in it. It's gonna need repairs and upkeep to stay roadworthy.

As a vehicle to mess around with and learn stuff on, and you have alternate transportation... you betcha... jump on it.

But if you don't know a lot already and try to make an old rig a DD... it'll leave you stranded.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
lamboguy1

Yeah, that's what I expected to hear. Oh well, maybe when I have more money :P

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
lamboguy1

Nevermind the accidental double post.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
50bomb

Buy it! Its all about learning. Nothing is easy. But you can do it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
big bad orange

let me just tell you a little story
I just bought my First truck ( I am 16) a 1972 custom 10 and the cost add up
quick in my case I paid $3000 for the truck and because I have no real tool I had to have the shop fix it and well I just put $1500 in to it just to pass inspection. Plus other little maintenance things So I am up to about $5000 in it. While drive these old trucks are real fun they arent cheap to own. I would say wait and find a running driving one and make sure you have some money to spend.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Zane M

If you have your heart set on a "vintage" truck for a daily driver, then you need to spend a fair amount more than what is being asked for the truck in question. Especially if you aren't well versed in vehicle mechanics.
big bad orange's experience is pretty common.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
big bad orange

yeah and not trying to put you down but there are alot of little things that can go wrong and 10 bucks here and 10 bucks there means you so broke you cant take your date for you drive because you spent the gas money on parts to get the truck running. Even thought I have the truck for 1 month I do think I will part with it even thought I know I still need to spend about $300- $1000 more in maintenance ( tires, belts ,fluids) and that not counting the at best 16 mpg for a STOCK truck.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
vern650

i must have had really good luck when i got my first truck cuz basically the only problems i had were normal wear items or stuff i tore up being young and dumb. my first truck was a 73 k-10 got for $1200 and i gave it a tune up and drove the crap out of it for 2 years with no major issues that i didn't cause and trust me it got abused most of those two years it was beating around the hills. when i turned 18 i "upgraded" to a 71 k-20 i picked up for$2500 partially restored with a built 350. that truck i scrounged up enough to finish some odds and ends and throw an $800 paintjob on and hit the streets. drove that truck for 3 years with no issues with about 50/50 offroad/street use and that little cammed 350 had my license suspended within the first year of owning it. the only reason i sold that truck was for more cab room for the buddies when goin biking/sledding, and to this day i regret selling it and very much missed driving the old iron which is why i jumped at the chance to pick up the rusted out beater 67 farm truck i found for $300.

i guess what I'm sayin is i'd go for it, if its a good solid foundation to begin with it should be ok and a good simple truck to learn on with none of the computer and electrical crap all the new ones have and will probably be more reliable to. the best times of my life were in those two old trucks and if i could go back I'd do it in a heart beat
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
vern650

i must have had really good luck when i got my first truck cuz basically the only problems i had were normal wear items or stuff i tore up being young and dumb. my first truck was a 73 k-10 got for $1200 and i gave it a tune up and drove the crap out of it for 2 years with no major issues that i didn't cause and trust me it got abused most of those two years it was beating around the hills. when i turned 18 i "upgraded" to a 71 k-20 i picked up for$2500 partially restored with a built 350. that truck i scrounged up enough to finish some odds and ends and throw an $800 paintjob on and hit the streets. drove that truck for 3 years with no issues with about 50/50 offroad/street use and that little cammed 350 had my license suspended within the first year of owning it. the only reason i sold that truck was for more cab room for the buddies when goin biking/sledding, and to this day i regret selling it and very much missed driving the old iron which is why i jumped at the chance to pick up the rusted out beater 67 farm truck i found for $300.

i guess what I'm sayin is i'd go for it, if its a good solid foundation to begin with it should be ok and a good simple truck to learn on with none of the computer and electrical crap all the new ones have and will probably be more reliable to. the best times of my life were in those two old trucks and if i could go back I'd do it in a heart beat
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
vern650

sorry for the double post, phone is being gay. also i don't think I'd go $2grand for that truck, i know around here you can find them a lot cheaper in that kinda shape
Old 08-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #14
MikeyMan

Odd engine + needs body work + been sitting a couple years = LOTS of issues.

3 on the tree + manual steering + manual brakes = Not a great driving experience.

Not an ideal situation for your first vehicle. You would need deep pockets and good mechanical skills.
Good luck with your first vehicle purchase, and remember to ALWAYS have it checked by a mechanic BEFORE you make a deal.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #15
MalibuSSwagon

If you want an older vehicle as a toy, DD, whatever, first buy a set of tools and learn to use them. Repairs are much easier on the wallet when you are only buying the parts.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
Gokart Mozart

If you want to learn about your truck, go for it. The biggest issue is make sure it's not full of bondo. Get under it with a magnet. Take a look at the electrical and make sure it's not a taped together rat's nest fire hazard. See where it's leaking and not just engine and trans. Do you have friends or relatives that are mechanically inclined that can look at it and help you along the way? Manual everything will just build you character and the truck theft-proof, how many people know how to drive a 3 on the tree?
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Do it!! You'll be a mechanic by the time you are using it as a "Reliable" DD.

Actually I agree with the above.There's not much chance of it not leaving you stranded.It's better as a second "hobby" vehicle.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
msgross

$2K for a non-running truck in Michigan is too high though. Maybe half that price... and only if the cab is in decent shape (rust wise)...

Find one that's running and road worthy, there is a reason that this one has been dead for a few years.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote