The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
dropanddrag71

Radiator hose wont stop dripping, need help!

Ok...
My upper hose where it connects to the radiator... it drips from under the hose right where it connects to the upper radiator... I'm talking maybe the size of a quarter a night. I went out a bought a new hose, cleaned all the connections, installed the hose... same thing, the drip... I removed the hose and took fine steel wool and really cleaned it nice, so nice the brass now shines... same thing, that drip!!!!..
Is there anything i can use between the hose and radiator neck to stop this?
Has to be something... help me out here.. Thank You!!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Xeen

Re: Radiator hose wont stop dripping, need help!

Im sorry to hear you are having trouble and though I can offer you some general mechanics advice I would suggest you move this thread to the main "General Truck Forums - Engine and Drivetrain" section instead of here at the Projects and Builds section as you might get more dedicated help.

With that being said the first thing I would check is for a defective clamp poking your hose comprimising its integrity.
The second and the more likely thing I would check for is if there is a pinhole in the neck along the soldering line because its likely thats the problem but dont over concentrate your search because its possible the metal is comprimised in a nearby location, take your time and go over the area with a fine tooth comb.
You need to really take your time and inspect the area very well to locate the hole it wont be easy to find since the leak is so slow.
You will need a powerfull light source, and some patience.
If you manage to find the hole there are a couple ways you can fix it, you will need to pull the radiator and apply some high silver content solder to do the job right, or you can clean the affected area around the hole VERY well with some powerfull cleaner and use some JB Weld but this is a medium term fix and wont last forever.

I hope this helps and I hope you find the leak.
Good luck!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
dropanddrag71

I found a leak where the inlet meats the radiator... I am going to start a new tthread there... thank you and look for it
Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Xeen

Im glad you found it, good luck with the fix.