The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
billetproofcustoms

resto or not??? original 66 shortbed project

ok,
so here goes, this is an original one owner 66 chevy shortbed. it was my grandpa's west texas farm truck, he passed away back in the early 80's, and it has been with my aunt and uncle ever since. it only has 94,000 original miles on it, numbers matching truck, and has been "restored" ....that was early 90's. The resto was done pretty well, but it is now showing age, and has been sitting for the last 5 years in a carport covered with a tarp. as you can see, the paint still looks pretty good, 2 tone green and white. I just picked it up today, so i have not been able to ID the motor as a 283 or 327. It has (I think) a 2bbl carb on it. it got too dark outside...

My question is this: resto #2? or leave it be and make it driveable? The body is str8, with a very tiny amount of underlying rust on the driver door, otherwise, it is virtually rust free, with the exception of surface rust, etc...minor. No cab corner issues, or any other typical rust like you would normally see on these trucks. It has been taken care of..mostly.The paint looks really good, a couple of small scratches here and there, but no dents, warps, etc.

Now for the good part, it was given to me! I paid $50 to rent a car hauler to get it home...pretty good deal if you ask me..

Back to the point...resto or not?
Its already not orignal in the "pure" sense of the word, because the paint is not original, seat upholstery is not original, etc, etc. I dont see selling it as it was my grandpa's. I have fond memories of riding/playing in it as a litlle kid, I even drove it once or twice back in the 80's.

I do know what im doing as far as resto's and mechanics, as I have done this type of thing a hundred times in the past, so that makes it kind of hard for me to leave it alone, because it does need things, new body rubber, dry rotted tires, greasy motor, and the tranny is out ( powerglide). My issue is once I get going on something like this, I cant stop...lol

opinions??
billetproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: resto or not??? original 66 shortbed project

Tough call. Iv'e had my truck since the 1980's and it was unmolested and in original condition. When I restored it I was compelled to keep it that way. I bought another one that was a little so that I would not feel bad changing things up. The decision is yours, you own it.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

To me, this story is similar to the old couple that buys a nice new car, and spring for the all-leather upholstery, then cover the seats with covers to protect them for the next owners.
What is the sense of having it, if you don't ever get to enjoy it yourself?
I say, do whatever you want to with it, it's yours!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
billetproofcustoms

sorry, i was supposed to add pics....

Quote:
Originally Posted by billetproofcustoms View Post
ok,
so here goes, this is an original one owner 66 chevy shortbed. it was my grandpa's west texas farm truck, he passed away back in the early 80's, and it has been with my aunt and uncle ever since. it only has 94,000 original miles on it, numbers matching truck, and has been "restored" ....that was early 90's. The resto was done pretty well, but it is now showing age, and has been sitting for the last 5 years in a carport covered with a tarp. as you can see, the paint still looks pretty good, 2 tone green and white. I just picked it up today, so i have not been able to ID the motor as a 283 or 327. It has (I think) a 2bbl carb on it. it got too dark outside...

My question is this: resto #2? or leave it be and make it driveable? The body is str8, with a very tiny amount of underlying rust on the driver door, otherwise, it is virtually rust free, with the exception of surface rust, etc...minor. No cab corner issues, or any other typical rust like you would normally see on these trucks. It has been taken care of..mostly.The paint looks really good, a couple of small scratches here and there, but no dents, warps, etc.

Now for the good part, it was given to me! I paid $50 to rent a car hauler to get it home...pretty good deal if you ask me..

Back to the point...resto or not?
Its already not orignal in the "pure" sense of the word, because the paint is not original, seat upholstery is not original, etc, etc. I dont see selling it as it was my grandpa's. I have fond memories of riding/playing in it as a litlle kid, I even drove it once or twice back in the 80's.

I do know what im doing as far as resto's and mechanics, as I have done this type of thing a hundred times in the past, so that makes it kind of hard for me to leave it alone, because it does need things, new body rubber, dry rotted tires, greasy motor, and the tranny is out ( powerglide). My issue is once I get going on something like this, I cant stop...lol

opinions??
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
Narxoleptic Customs

I'd leave it alone... Except for the full bag system, PBfront member, disc front, cleaned up under hood... I'm just saying, I'd leave it alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Narxoleptic Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
oem4me

You lucky dog! It looks decent as is. I say no harm in redoing or improving where it needs it or where you want it. If you've got tons of time and a pile of money you didn't know what to do with, knock yourself out. Otherwise, enjoy it like it is and repair only as needed ... but uh, lose those caps.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
You lucky dog! It looks decent as is. I say no harm in redoing or improving where it needs it or where you want it. If you've got tons of time and a pile of money you didn't know what to do with, knock yourself out. Otherwise, enjoy it like it is and repair only as needed ... but uh, lose those caps.
couldn't agree more! unless you've got a lot of money to throw at it, I'd just fix what needs to be fixed and enjoy it...i'm curious to know how it looked before the first "restore"...i agree, gotta fix those wheels...such a cool truck though (BBW, short/fleet, factory air, automatic, etc.)...good luck with whatever you decide

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
64shortc10

I say send it to Delmo and put it on the ground! Nice truck you are a lucky dog!
Tony from Norcal
Posted via Mobile Device
64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
plainred65

Quote:
Great advise, drive it and enjoy it. This approach also give you time to think about what you want to do with it. You might find out that you like it just the way it sits, and if you don't you'll know just what mods to make.

Great looking truck either way!
plainred65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
ZUBZ

Flip me that is an awesome truck....
ZUBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
LEEVON

power disc brakes, drop, white walls, new seals and DRIVE
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
oem4me

You need to decide what the truck means to you, and how it will give the most enjoyment. Ask yourself what would gramps want? I'll guess bagging it would not be his choice.
Now, as far as being a worthy pure restoration candidate, you can't get much better than that one with how it's optioned. However, I can tell you from experience that once restored you will be less inclined to use it like the truck that it is. Either way you scored on a great truck!
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
notsolo

Very Nice... I would get a 73-83 front cross member w/11" rotors and rebuild bushings ball joints tie rod ends add brake booster swap out on a week end. Drive it, enjoy it...
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Joemomma1

Dont bag it, over hyped and over done. I'd do a few upgrades. That thing is bad ass.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
GMC Jester

Personnaly I would redo the seat - or at least have it steam cleaned, and then if you have time, tools, money, etc..maybe an engine rebuild. other than that leave it be! ...and i like the caps :p

edit: also maybe a good power wash on the underside, a degrease and a good coat of paint for the bottom? They didnt really have the range of ruberized undercoats and "tuff liner" paints then at the availability we have now.
GMC Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
billetproofcustoms

Yeah, bagging it wouldnt be his choice, and its not mine either, I may drop it just a touch, but bagging/slamming it just isnt my style. I'm all about subtle custom.

thanks for the input!

Quote:
You need to decide what the truck means to you, and how it will give the most enjoyment. Ask yourself what would gramps want? I'll guess bagging it would not be his choice.
Now, as far as being a worthy pure restoration candidate, you can't get much better than that one with how it's optioned. However, I can tell you from experience that once restored you will be less inclined to use it like the truck that it is. Either way you scored on a great truck!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
billetproofcustoms

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

One thing for sure, I will lose the caps...I never liked those style caps anyway.
And I hate the huge towing mirror on the drivers side, thats gone too. And I dont care for the solid white towing bumper out back either, either needs a stock rear bumper, ar a roll pan.

But I think for now, i'm just going to concentrate on what it needs for now, (tranny, body rubber, tires, new wood for the bed, etc) Once all that is done, I will re think where I want to go with it. I am thinking at least an interior redo, new upholstery on the seat, and maybe carpet, stereo, get rid of the gas tank in the cab and go with a rear mount tank, fix some various dash controls, etc.. I do think I'm going to keep the color scheme, but the engine compartment and engine are going to get re-done for sure.

I just need to get it driveable and legal for now..
Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
GMC Jester

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

One thing for sure, I will lose the caps...I never liked those style caps anyway.
And I hate the huge towing mirror on the drivers side, thats gone too. And I dont care for the solid white towing bumper out back either, either needs a stock rear bumper, ar a roll pan.

But I think for now, i'm just going to concentrate on what it needs for now, (tranny, body rubber, tires, new wood for the bed, etc) Once all that is done, I will re think where I want to go with it. I am thinking at least an interior redo, new upholstery on the seat, and maybe carpet, stereo, get rid of the gas tank in the cab and go with a rear mount tank, fix some various dash controls, etc.. I do think I'm going to keep the color scheme, but the engine compartment and engine are going to get re-done for sure.

I just need to get it driveable and legal for now..

keeping the bench? or buckets?
GMC Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
billetproofcustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Jester View Post
keeping the bench? or buckets?
Probably keeping the bench, at least for now.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
Sillyoldman

Quote:
sorry, i was supposed to add pics....

I'd definatley change it. Change it't title to my name. Thats a sweet ride.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #21
FetchMeAPepsi

Subtle is best anyway. I say fix what needs fixing and keep it like your grandpa had it. Not much respect for old iron anymore among the under 25 crowd. Everyone wants to "improve" on it till it's worthless and any semblance of the majestic creature it started out as is gone.
I think your grandpa would be proud that you didn't hack it up.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
billetproofcustoms

Thumbs up Re: resto or not??? original 66 shortbed project

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Subtle is best anyway. I say fix what needs fixing and keep it like your grandpa had it. Not much respect for old iron anymore among the under 25 crowd. Everyone wants to "improve" on it till it's worthless and any semblance of the majestic creature it started out as is gone.
I think your grandpa would be proud that you didn't hack it up.
I agree, I'm all about subtle. Im 45 years old, and while I can dig the stuff the younger guys are doing, I do want to retain what the truck was about originally, it just seems like the right thing to do.

I'm pretty sure its going to stay the same color, possibly a fresh paint job, for sure going to get a "correct" seat re-upholster, and I may add carpet as well for the interior.

exterior will get a new wood bed, all new body rubber, and probably some new tires, and some subtle, and appropriate chevy rallys, probably put true dual exhaust and a tranny upgrade. otherwise I think I'm leaning towards a "true" restoration for everything else. Considering a frame off resto...

Just minor upgrades, but it should look very cool and not offend the younger set, or the "purists" either..

I remember grandpa well enogh to know he would approve of what I have in mind, he was a cool guy..
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
62 Barnfind

Looks nice! I would do a partial resto. Like repainting the engine, clean up the interior, wheels and tires, compound and polish and maybe front disk brakes. Or leave it like it is. It looks good right now. You are very lucky to have something in that shape!
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
billetproofcustoms

Ok,

So I have decided to do a fresh resto on it, I ended up finding both original (and legible) build sheets in the back and the underside of the seat. It was/is pretty much a fully optioned truck, so I just cant see doing anything other than a resto. Just too much cool OEM stuff on it to not do it, I even found the original ashtray under the seat, just too cool.

I'm going to do it as correctly as possible, but not to a concours level, I just want it to be a daily driver stock truck. I have been looking at all the resto truck pics on here, and these were just beautiful trucks when they were "new", plus, thats how my grandpa bought it, so it would be awesome to make his truck new again. I am going to try to get only oem parts if possible, althogh it really doesnt need much of anything. I will start documenting the progress as i go.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Ok,

So I have decided to do a fresh resto on it, I ended up finding both original (and legible) build sheets in the back and the underside of the seat. It was/is pretty much a fully optioned truck, so I just cant see doing anything other than a resto. Just too much cool OEM stuff on it to not do it, I even found the original ashtray under the seat, just too cool.

I'm going to do it as correctly as possible, but not to a concours level, I just want it to be a daily driver stock truck. I have been looking at all the resto truck pics on here, and these were just beautiful trucks when they were "new", plus, thats how my grandpa bought it, so it would be awesome to make his truck new again. I am going to try to get only oem parts if possible, althogh it really doesnt need much of anything. I will start documenting the progress as i go.
awesome! so cool that you decided to go this route ...I opted to do something similar with mine since it seems so few are doing it...but yours is more original than mine, with a better background story, not to mention the physcial proof (build sheet) you have ...I want to keep physical appearance as original as possible with mine...but I plan to drive mine as well & decided to upgrade brakes & steering...and I have a '66 327/Powerglide but plan to upgrade to a 700R4 trans....it won't be original in the sense of a purist form, but mostly original with a touch of modern

as for original parts, one guy I can recommend is Tony Smith @ http://www.4-5-6chevytrucks.com/

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote