The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
kooban

here we go

My name is kevin. Ive been lurking around here for a while and have decided to post this.

I am in the process of saving a gmc 2500 super custom 350/350 from a friends field where she was left to rot away for the last 5+ years.

Ive been debating on cutting her down and doing an extended cab kinda thing, but i want you guys to talk me out of it...

Justa warning, the years have been really rough on her. Cancer everywhere. Basically no floor from the front seats back. All the doors need serious work, and the driver side quarter panel is completely gone.

If finances allow she will be in my garage by the weekend. Got her running last week after sitting for 5+ yrs just to keep my enthusiasm because of a lotta life stuff going on...

Enough of the intro, lets try some pics

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Posted via Mobile Device

[IMG][/IMG]
Posted via Mobile Device

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
kooban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: here we go

Welcome to the forum Kevin!
I have to say, that poor Suburban has seen better days.

If I were you, I would stay away from using it as a custom cut down burb. The roof looks like the only solid piece of body on it, and it you cut it in half the poor thing looks like it would fall in on itself.

Do you already own it? If so, I would look for a solid Suburban shell and transfer all your good parts/drive train to it.

The Suburban in my opinion is the most time, money, and resource consuming restoration one can take on. Having a solid body is really important, unless you are super talented in rust repair and metal fab.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Tinkermc

1 heck of a place 2 start you will be a pretty good body man by the time u finish this
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
GuyO

Eating an elephant is done one bite at a time. The good news is restoration parts are available, the better news is this board is full of great information. I am on my third restoration and there are different approaches but, I usually start at the front and make my way to the back. 1) dump the fluids, 2) get her running 3) start removing body parts like fenders, doors, hood. etc. 4) acid soak/wash bolts, hinges, window regulators, fuel tank, etc. 5) remove seats, mats, rugs and then when the glass is out I start sanding with 60 starting at the top to the bottom. Cutting out the cancer and looking for panels. I am sure you'll figure it out. It is fun and you can see the progress which is what motivates me! Good luck, G.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
70cst

Hey kooban ...

Just wanted to say to the forums and from Ohio.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
kooban

Thanks everyone. She'll be in the garage by next week, also found 2 c10s... one def a parts and the other another possible project... there will be a build thready started once i pull them all to the shop and decided what i truly want to do... still thinking extended cab mild lift 4x4 but ultimately undecided still.
Posted via Mobile Device
kooban is offline   Reply With Quote