The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
weever82

PPG paint in an aerosol can for my dash??

The paint on my truck is in pretty excellent condition and have no need to paint it at the moment, however my dash is looking used and could use a refresh for sure.

I have no interior in my truck and would be fairly easy for me to paint it myself. Was wondering if anyone has went to an automotive shop and had PPG colors put into an aerosol can and had good results with it?

Hoping to can the dash and be able to get her put back together and running soon. It would be hard for me to trailer it over to a paint shop with no steering column... Etc... and would be waaaay more expensive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Weev-
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne

Last edited by weever82; 10-30-2012 at 10:15 PM.
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Beetle

Re: PPG paint in an aerosol can for my dash??

Go to your local O'Reilly or NAPA, they can mix paint and put it in a spray bomb can for you. They can even match the paint with a paint scanner, or your paint code. Ask me how I know...

(I work for O'Reilly's)

Hope this helps!!!
68 Step
Trucks Sold: 70 GMC, 72 K5
Members met: Andy4639 GCncsuHD CSGAS zicc1835 hotrod farm truck Mingrao Bhelton brenthiggins
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
weever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Go to your local O'Reilly or NAPA, they can mix paint and put it in a spray bomb can for you. They can even match the paint with a paint scanner, or your paint code. Ask me how I know...

(I work for O'Reilly's)

Hope this helps!!!
That sounds great! Thanks. Anyone ever say if it holds up pretty good to use?

Thanks again.

Weev-

Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Beetle

Yea it should hold up just fine, I had a few people say it works great, and looks great. Dunno if you wanna clear it. I don't know how spray bomb clear would look, but it should turn out good, the biggest thing is prep. Make sure the surface is clean and dry and nothing can come in and contaminate the paint during the spray and while it is drying. That is what will really help the paint hold up.
68 Step
Trucks Sold: 70 GMC, 72 K5
Members met: Andy4639 GCncsuHD CSGAS zicc1835 hotrod farm truck Mingrao Bhelton brenthiggins
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
jocko

try these guys - they will color match your paint code and stick it in a rattle can to boot!
My medium olive 504 cans are in the mail for some touch-ups.
http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/makepaint2.cgi
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
SS Tim

One of those HF touch-up guns would work fine. Just have to mask everything around, above and behind. Could talk to a place like Macco or OneDay and see what it would cost to do the whole inside if you were to clean, prep and mask. A tow dolly would be an easy load and drop with a set of skates for moving it. Might want to disconnect the drive shaft at the rear end, tape up the u-joint and wire the shaft out of the way.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
try these guys - they will color match your paint code and stick it in a rattle can to boot!
My medium olive 504 cans are in the mail for some touch-ups.
http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/makepaint2.cgi
Have you used this company before. I have two new doors that will need to be trimmed out and I want to paint my dash as well.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
jocko

I haven't used it YET - I did order from them about 4 days ago, and got a shipped noticed about two days ago - so they are responsive. Their paint mixes will match what the paint looked like when new, can't match a faded paint. But I think it might be a reasonbable option for an interior re-do since they normally don't fade much. I needed to re-do the bottom of a nice straight donor door so figured it would suffice for the door. I will let you know how it turns out. They sell most, not all, paints as single or two-stage options (and the 2nd stage clear coat in rattle cans also). Some only available as single stage.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Use the standard precautions for a spray can paint and it should be fine.Mine is done with Krylon and is starting to need a touch up but then it's 10 years into it.I used steel wool and fine sandpaper to get some tooth,Then cleaned with laquer thinner.Light cover coats to paint.You'll be using a better product and presumbly a better spray(higher quality spray can with better pattern) so you should be good to go.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

I saw your post yesterday but I had a senior moment and couldn't remember the unit I used several years ago to re-spray a dash in a '55 Chevy.. The Preval unit is very serviceable and does a great job.
http://shop.preval.com/collections/preval-sprayer
Worth a look! Generally can be found at Home Depot.
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
they can mix paint and put it in a spray bomb can for you. They can even match the paint with your paint code.
"any" automotive paint supplier should be able to mix your paint code and put regular "automotive" grade paint in a can for you to spray.

they will make it however you want. being your color is light blue, single stage will be fine. itll take about 5 to 10 coats to get a good build because of how small volume a paint can sprays, but it will get the job done. you can even sand and buff it afterwards.

cost is usually around 30 bucks for labor and 5 or 6 per can.

you mentioned PPG in your post. that is just a brand. you pay alot for the name. NAPA uses a rebadged paint brand called martin seynour, it is sherwin williams paints, and is very good stuff. i have painted several magazine vehicles and many custom paint jobs with the stuff.

enjoy..
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
weever82

Really appreciate all the replies guys! I found a local place called Space Age that only does automotive paints in spray cans and everyone said they are the best around here. Gonna stop in their shop and ask some questions. If the can looks like crap because of the quality or because I can't spray for crap I will just have to tow it somewhere to get sprayed.

Weev-
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: PPG paint in an aerosol can for my dash??

I used it on my cooler. It matched up pretty good I think to the truck.
Plan to use the same thing on the 67 Chevelle steering wheel when it's ready for paint.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote