The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Shaun1162

1978 GMC Sierra LWB Project

So while riding around on the back roads the other day, happened to spot this old square body with a fresh for sale sign on it.... Guy had $300 on it, got him down to $225. Pretty rusty, but I figured for that price I could always part it out and junk it right?

Truck has a couple options on it.... 250 6 Cylinder, 4 speed, power steering, power brakes, original AM radio still there, and a couple other option. Got it from the original owner!

Didn't run when I bought it, but he said it ran fine when he parked it. Got it home, hooked a battery too it, some new fuel line and a filter, and away it went! Idled fine for about an hour... There was a pretty good ticking at first, but it went away after a little while. Then I think the fuel pump went bad... It wasn't pumping much through the filter, but enough to run, now it seems to have quit all together, but got a new one in-stock so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Here's how I found it, think it's been there close to 10 years...

After getting it home today...

One way to take an old shell top off

I'll get some better pictures this week... For being a NH truck, it isn't too rotten, but still needs alot of rust work. Needs both front fenders/inner fenders, passenger rocker, floor work on the passenger side, lower part of the rear quarter on the drivers side, and other misc rot here and there. Someone changed the drivers side rocker and both cab corners, and did a pretty decent job, but they need a little work. The guy that sold it to me and the guys that helped me get it are a little skeptical that it'll ever see the road again, but I always liked saving the junkers compared to buying a real cherry truck.

Not planning anything crazy for it... Just fix the rust, pull some dents, fix the interior, and then paint it the original brown.
- 1933 Ford Stock Car
Shaun1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Zebb

Re: 1978 GMC Sierra LWB Project

Usually in NH the body line is also the rust line.

Good job finding a survivor like that in NH! It even still has the hub caps.
Zebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Shaun1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebb View Post
Usually in NH the body line is also the rust line.

Good job finding a survivor like that in NH! It even still has the hub caps.
Thanks, and so true! Found it just one town away by chance... Other then the rust, it is a survivor... The only change I can see is where the guy mounted an old CB radio, but that it. Stock AM radio, all the hubcaps (though one is kinda rusty), even still has the cardboard peice on the sunvisor telling you to buckle up!
- 1933 Ford Stock Car

Last edited by Shaun1162; 12-02-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Shaun1162

Well, this weekend had alot of spare time to work on the truck... Ended up getting everything pressure washed, and did a partial tune up as well..

Unfortunately snow kind of got in the way today haha

First time pressure washing an engine bay...

Certainly made a difference! Not the best, but at least it's not ALL grease and oil

Right off the bat see I've got a pretty good leak coming from the back of the valve cover gasket, so that's on the to-do list...

Also changed the alternator, cap, rotor, and plug wire. The alternator made the biggest difference in anything I've tried with an old motor before, guess the old one really wasn't do a thing anymore... Managed to forget to buy plugs yesterday, but I pulled all of them when I changed everything else and they looked pretty decent, none were soaked with oil or anything, so I wire brushed them all and just planning on running them until I remember to get some more.

Really beginning the appreciate untouched old trucks... Aside from the amateur autobody work, this truck is real original. I've looked hard and I can't find ONE splice in the wiring... How often do you find that on ANY vehicle over 30 years old?? Even has all the original wire wraps and looms...

Fuel pump and radiator hoses are supposed to be here tomorrow, still have to deal with the old Rochet Monojet carb. What do you guys think, try to rebuild it myself, or buy a rebuilt one somewheres?
- 1933 Ford Stock Car

Last edited by Shaun1162; 12-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Zebb

Last year I got rid of a bunch of old carburetor parts for that. I wish I would of kept them now. I would have given them to you.

Rebuild it those are pretty simple.
Zebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Shaun1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebb View Post
Last year I got rid of a bunch of old carburetor parts for that. I wish I would of kept them now. I would have given them to you.

Rebuild it those are pretty simple.
I've made some mistakes like that too! Fortunately we've got a few spare Monojets around in case I need something (old stock car guy gave us a bunch of stuff)... I ordered a rebuild kit and a new brass float, hopefully the rebuild goes alright...

Always good to see another NH member on here though!

What does everyone dip their carbs in? I've got some carb clean in a can, but nothing just for carbs to dip it in... Have some lacquer thinner, some xylene, maybe purple power, do those work?
- 1933 Ford Stock Car