The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Yerboogieman

Shoulder Belts

So my friend loves the Suburban, she says it rides smooth and loves when I do donuts and go off road.

But the passenger side lap belt is broken (for some reason, the car has 4 different seat belts, and this one is from a Ford)

So I was wondering if I could fit in some Shoulder/Lap belts. I know there are some threaded holes on the side near the tops of the seats, so I don't see how it couldn't work. I've seen they have a factory option, but I'm not going to try hunting those down. I've only seen one other Suburban in Western Washington and none in the junkyards.

I suppose it would be best to look for some from another truck. What do you guys think?

1971 Chevy Suburban 4x4 Build Thread
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
OneOffStroker

Re: Shoulder Belts

I took some out of a PT Cruiser when I took the leather heated seats from it. I used the threaded holes in the B pillar for the upper mount, and made a bracket to mount the retracting part to the floor with the stock mounting bolt and hole down there as well. I love the fit and function of these belts, and they mate up perfect to the buckles on the seats, since they were made to be together anyway. They are also height-adjustable.
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Yerboogieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOffStroker View Post
I took some out of a PT Cruiser when I took the leather heated seats from it. I used the threaded holes in the B pillar for the upper mount, and made a bracket to mount the retracting part to the floor with the stock mounting bolt and hole down there as well. I love the fit and function of these belts, and they mate up perfect to the buckles on the seats, since they were made to be together anyway. They are also height-adjustable.
That sounds really cool (and all my friends are short so the adjustable thing should work great, lol). Do you have any pictures by chance? Also, how do the seats fit?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
OneOffStroker

I will take and post some pics tomorrow. The seats fit great, but I had to modify the brackets a little, but that is to be expected. The seats are perforated leather and have the heater switches mounted to the sides if the seat. They also have a fold down armrest. Best thing of all was that I got the 2 front seats, the back seat, and seat belts for under $100 from Pick-n-Pull
Posted via Mobile Device
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
Yerboogieman

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to it. I'm excited about getting the suburban running, but also trying to make it act and feel like a daily driver as much as possible.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
LSUMurse

I bought a pair of shoulder belts from JC Whitney (I won't make that mistake again). The one problem I had is that the retractor would not release unless it was positioned straight up. I had to create a bracket using some angle iron to get them to work. I would have sent them back, but I needed the shoulder belts installed quickly (ex-wife and child seat issues). So, should you go to buy some or harvest some, pay attention to the position the retractor needs to be in for them the belt to release and thereby allow you to pull the belt out.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Yerboogieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUMurse View Post
I bought a pair of shoulder belts from JC Whitney (I won't make that mistake again). The one problem I had is that the retractor would not release unless it was positioned straight up. I had to create a bracket using some angle iron to get them to work. I would have sent them back, but I needed the shoulder belts installed quickly (ex-wife and child seat issues). So, should you go to buy some or harvest some, pay attention to the position the retractor needs to be in for them the belt to release and thereby allow you to pull the belt out.
I salvaged a couple from a 2003 F-150 at the junkyard. They needed to be mostly straight up, but it turned out not to be a problem. Except I had to mount the retractor in the middle of the pillar. Fit pretty good. I think my friend will be happy that she's not being thrown around while four-wheeling.