The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2003, 05:33 PM   #1
bigd65

leaf springs

well i got a set of leaf springs from the wrecking yard. i am go ing to swap them out and see if that is what is causing the popping in the rear. it seems there are 3 different sizes. 65 in, 56 in, and 52 in. these i got from a suborban, i think it was around 85. it was a 4x4 and are 4 leaf and an extra load leaf. the ones on my truck now are 3 leaf with a load leaf. i am going to strip them down and replace all the plastic spring pads first then i am going to replace them, i believe mine are popping due to no spring pads in there. i am thiinking of leaving the load leveler out but not real sure yet. BTW all the different sizes come from all the way up to the 91 burb. i was thinking of keeping the 65 in ones and moving the rear hanger, maybe that would give a better ride in the rear, but i desided naaaaaaa, i aint going through all that. anyways any one know where i can get the pads from other than the dealer. they can get them but they have to order them. also do yall think there will be a big difference in the ride between the 3 leaf and the 4 leaf, they are the same 52 in. (those measurements are from boly hole to bolt hole on the hangers.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:00 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Good luck, I hope it works. As far as springs for our trucks, there are only two sizes I know of, 56" and 52". What in the world did you get 65" leafs from?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

I wouldn't know, my truck has 12 leaves on each bundle, but I too need to replace a bundle, so tell me what you figure out. My truck came stock with 10 leaves, but my uncle had two more added, and both of those added ones have cracked since on the right hand side. I can only assume that the other ones are gonna break too, so I want to replace all of them.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:38 PM   #4
TX_Mudder

The four leaf should ride better than the three leaf, assuming the leaves themselves are thinnen.

Jeff, if you want you can go to Pruitt Spring. They are in south Houston. Sorry, I don't have the # handy but I'm sure you can get it from information or the yellow pages. If you can't find it, lemme know and I'll look.
They do all custom leaf springs so they would surely sell you the part you want. If you take them the leaf springs, they'd even do it for you. I had them do some spring work for me and it was reasonable - and local, so quick.

-- Mike
TX_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:22 AM   #5
BigAlVB

I don't know how relevant this post is but here goes... I just replaced the front springs on my '91 Sub which has a 2-2.5" lift. The front springs had eight (8)! leaves and they were going into a negative arch and you could see light through them, they were shot. The truck rode like sh#@! My friends' '91 with a 6" Superlift only had 5 leaves up front and rides like a dream. I ordered up a set of Superlift Softride springs and they came with 4 leaves only. Plus they are tapered on the ends and the other ones were not. Bottom line--HUGE improvement! These new springs are just barely positive arch, almost flat.
I also replaced all my ball joints and tie rod ends at the same time because my steering was awful. The ball joints (all non-greasable) were frozen up. It's like a new truck now.
I'm just using blocks in the back, I'm not sure what length they are. After a dozen Michigan winters, we didn't feel like trying to remove the shacle bolts which are probably naturally welded (rusted) to the frame
Old 06-09-2003, 09:36 AM   #6
bigd65

Mike the 65 in came off a 91 suburban. the kid that worked there said they would fit. well i took them home. being they were from a 91, all the pads looked good even the black paint was still on them. well i took off my wheels and said man they dont look right, so i measured them. man was i upset. anyways i took them back and got the 52's from the 4x4. i took them apart last nite and scrubbed them and just got the new spring pads from the dealership. the new ones are round and the old ones are square, that shouldnt make a difference should it. well i gotta work tonite so i wont be getting them put on til wednesday. would coating them with some sort of grease before i put the back together have any benefit.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:38 AM   #7
bigd65

BTW , other Mike, the same suburban had the front drive train from the 4x4 suburban. i thought about getting the whole front axle and converting mine to 4x4, but i desided against that. to much work and just really dont have much use for a 4x4, although i wouldnt mind having one to play in the mud with, but not for a daily driver.