The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Jimmora

Feel like I need more than the 350/290 how about:

http://paceperformance.com/i-8396379...rear-seal.html

Restoring a 1970 C20. Currently the original 350 w/ 96k miles but it sat a while and wasn't fed correctly and I rather stick in a new engine than risk it. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm sure someone would want the current one.

Just though it might be enjoyable to tool around town with some extra kick. This thing is a going to be top notch exterior and only used as a weekend and leisure driver, but maybe I do the 4miles to work in it sometimes.

Just found some research on options. I tend to over do things or be unhappy later, so I'm look for upgrades from the GM econo crate, but I don't want to have to upgrade other items or put the rest if the truck at breakdown risk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jimmora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: Feel like I need more than the 350/290 how about:

That will certainly give you more kick. You will also be putting more fuel in the tank, if that's a concern. I would go for a high torque small block, maybe even with a supercharger.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Jimmora

http://store.chevroletperformance.co...-12499101--%3E

I think I'm going this route, the GM HT383. I like the solid torque curve. Searched around the boards and people seem to have positive experiences and I like the warranty. It does seem a but expensive - more than double the price of the 350/290. But at least pulling a boat through the mountains should always be easy.

Sorry for all the typos originally- that's what I get for using a smart phone late at night after hours of surfing for engine reccos.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Just a FYI, Chevy High Performance magazine did a series of articles a few years ago, on the HT383. They made several different upgrades and showed what the results were. You might check out their website for the articles.

Yes that engine is a little spendy, But then again most GM crate engines are IMO. Of course you are getting a brand new engine.

I think that if you got a used L31 Vortec engine, it could be rebuilt into a HT383 for a bit less $$.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Jimmora

FYI, engine arrived. Not that it is a big deal, but all the online places show the engine as 87 Octane, which was a surprise given they list compression at 9.1.

Got the manual off the crate and it says 92 Octane.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Chevy 383 Engine2.pdf (122.5 KB, 290 views)