The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Tillik

Floor Pan Strip?

While i'm waiting for my floor pans to arrive I want to prep the floor cab. I have removed the super thick tar paper and exposed most of my work space. I've tried a few different things to clean the surface to get ready for the patching. That tar residue is mean stuff. Using some 3M paint and varnish remover. It takes a while to work but seemingly comes up OK. Just using a putty knife to apply and scrape off. It's a pain but it will get done!

Any general tips I need to know once I get all the residue off? I'm assuming I could just use soap and super hot water and a very good rinse. I am planning on using panel-bond to install my floor pans. Then finishing off the entire floor and halfway up the back of the cab with PoR-15. Plan on installing a full floor rubber mat and hope that stuff holds up to the rubbing for the summer. Maybe a little sound deadening barrier.
Attached Images

Tillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Floor Pan Strip?

A heat gun and a plastic scraper should make short work of it without scarring the metal. After that a solvent/thinner cleaning should get most of the tar traces up. Don't think soad and water is going to do anything.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
catch2otwo

I tried using 70%ipa and it worked ok. Probably as good as the adheasive remover you tried. I like the heat gun idea though, will be trying that along with ipa to clean up
Posted via Mobile Device
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
RogerTheLodger

I know the best answer to this one. I learned how to remove linoleum tar-based mastic years ago when cleaning up some 50 year old linoleum. The old flooring was stuck down with a tar like mastic. Go to your local flooring supplier and buy some mastic remover. I purchased the stuff I used at Big D flooring here in Arizona. There is also a product called Bean-e-doo which is supposed to be similar I am told. Pick a day when the product won't dry up too quickly. The product suggests leaving it to soak for two to twelve hours. Afterwards you can loosen the tar by brushing it with a parts brush or the equivalent. I used a lot of saw dust to soak up the dissolved tar when I did the house floor mastic but cheap kitty litter would also work. The Bid D mastic remover worked so well I was surprised. Can you imagine doing the tar mastic on an entire house. This stuff is very safe and easy to use unlike paint remover and the remaining residue can be cleaned up with soapy water. It also had very little smell but smelled like the household cleaner 409. I would be smart and just try a small area first before and checking for any damage to the underlying paint.
RogerTheLodger is offline   Reply With Quote