The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
chrismoore701

Original airconditioning on my 79

Am I going to be able to hook air up on my 79 stepside? I have the original long style pump and brackets on the pump, but not the brackets for the block. I am also missing the hoses, not to worried about that. But looking at the factory manual, it looks like there is a lot involved. is this doable in my garage? I know I will have to get it charged. How can I tell if the pump is good? it seems to move real nice. I have the condenser and some lines from that as well, but not all of them.

thanks
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Re: Original airconditioning on my 79

If you think the A6 turns good and feels real nice then you pretty much have to get it all hooked up and pull a vaccume on it, if it holds for 30 minutes or even better over night then you should be good. I highley suggest getting a "Parallel flow" condencer for it, just measure what the biggest one you think you can fit then look on eBay or elseware and get a universal one. Once you get lines made up for it then you can do the vaccume and charge it. I'm running R152a in my truck, it cools better than R134a and you can get it in 12oz keyboard air duster cans at Walmart for $5.96 a can.

I didn't get a parallel flow condencer when I did mine and really wish I did, also I'd really like an expansion valve like the 67-72 trucks had instead of the fixed orfice tube.
Posted via Mobile Device
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Original airconditioning on my 79

You can add a txv valve to the 73, and later system. You just need to get the right size, and set up for the refrigerant you plan to use. Otherwise you'll starve or flood you evap. It would likely require modifying the case to hold it, and probably will not work that much better. Unless your in the desert, and have other supporting mods to keep the evap full.

For the older trucks you can use R290 which is damn near R12 on the pressure temperature chart, and works better with the stock system. Unless your planning a full redo then its up to you.

I am not sure what I will do with my AC because my engine selection is not finalized, and I am not buying parts till I am there. My compressor is done, and its alot of money for temporary use.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote