The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Route-66

New Member - Old person :) '72 SWB Fleetside Project

I've been lurking for a couple weeks now and I just got this '72 project truck yesterday so I thought I'd join in the conversation now. I've seen this truck sitting out behind a house that is only about 1/2 mile from me. This truck sat outside and never moved for several years. The owner drove a newer truck and didn't seem interested in this one so I made him an offer and he agreed. I traded him a nice S&W .50 Cal. Revolver and $700.00 for the truck. The truck needs lots of body panel work but it has a very healthy 350c.i. engine with a mild cam, aluminum intake and new Rochester carb. The only draw back is that this truck was obviously meant to be strictly a work truck because it has no PS or PB and it has a three speed on the column. I'm 63 years old and the first vehicle I ever purchased (in 1968) was a 1963 Chevrolet Biscayne 2-door. It also didn't have PS or PB and it was a three speed on the column too .. but it had a 409 c.i. engine in it! I paid $500.00 for that car and it was in great shape!

Today I swept out and vacuumed the truck (the owner had the bed full of garbage, beer bottles, etc..) I then stripped off the doors, step bumper, tailgate, hood and cowl. I think the only parts that I'm going to totally replace are the two front fenders (and one inner fender) but everything else I can use. I will have to do a lot of cutting out and patching in the cab but, from reading the forums, it sounds like that's not unusual for this year truck. I was amazed how solid the bed is seeing as it sat outside for years collecting water in it. My next step is to remove the bed .. possibly tomorrow with the help of my son who lives next door.

One other thing I'm very big on is keeping your work area clean. I've noticed that a lot of the members here feel the same way. Here are a few pictures from yesterday and today. Let me know what you think about it. Oh, one more thing, I would like the advice of the members about possibly putting an automatic in the truck and replacing the "three on the tree".

Route-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
jjhare

Re: New Member - Old person :) '72 SWB Fleetside Project

Welcome! Nice truck!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
MusicMan70

Welcome Route-66 from SoCal. I wish my garage was that spotless. A great baseline for what will be a nice truck.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Route-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
Welcome Route-66 from SoCal. I wish my garage was that spotless. A great baseline for what will be a nice truck.
Thanks MusicMan. I love visiting SoCal! I've been there about 5 times in the last 7 years and me and my wife love it!
Route-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

R66, welcome aboard.
You've got a good starter.
As for the trans, depends on what your intentions are for the truck. If it has a low rear gear you might want to entertain the idea of an overdrive trans. If it has a 3.08 or so gear a plain T350 auto will do fine.
The bellhousing crossmember will have to be taken out, riveted from the factory and an auto trans crossmember sourced and installed under the rear of the tranny. You know what to do about the tree.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
ole dollor

Route-66..Welcome to the forum from Texas..looks like you have a good truck to have fun with....love the shop you have....good luck on your build. lots of good info here and great people..
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote