The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
t300

first c10. heck, first domestic project ever.

Finally picked up my first old chevy. I bought it mainly because of the patina, this truck ain't getting painted for nobody, no matter what. Its a 1970 c10 lwb, 350 auto. I'm assuming 350, haven't taken a close look yet. Plans to put in a 5.3 or 6.0 with EFI (I hate carbs) so I didn't pay much attention to the engine. My first questions

What I would like to do is lower it, fix the non functional drum brakes and drive it for the summer, then engine/trans swap in winter. However I still want ability to fill the box with dirt, tow a trailer, etc. "trailer' being anything from small tent trailer to a car hauler with small car on it. I'm thinking a 2.5/4 static drop at most. Problem is if I go to discs in order to 'fix' the brakes (either a disc kit or a find a 73-87 front end), I don't think these rims will fit over the brakes, and then I may as well go 5lug because I'll be forced to buy new rims, and I really like the looks of 18" Boss 338's

So looking for some advice here.
Priority 1 - get working brakes. (soft lines and hard lines all need replacing, parking brake cables missing, haven't had the wheels off yet to inspect the drum guts)
Priority 2 - lower it, probably 2.5/4 (spindles in front, lowering springs in back)
Priority 3 - 18" Boss 338's
Priority 4 - LSx /auto swap of some type

Any advice for a euro/import guy who finally has a domestic product?

Also, is it possible to look up the option sheet from the VIN? the option sheet has been completely rubbed off.

thanks
Matt
Attached Images

t300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Evaded

Re: first c10. heck, first domestic project ever.

looks good... moar pics!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
MidLifer

Nice catch. Should be a great driver and fun project. Good luck with the LS swap.

WRT options, look between the seat foam and frame, and also between the seat and gas tank. Some trucks had build sheets stuck in one of those locations. Never heard of being able to recreate a SPID from a VIN, but send an e-mail to the General - maybe they have some magic way of finding that for you. They helped me answer some questions about my truck when I first got it.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
70cst

Hey t300 ...

to the forums and from Ohio.

Looks like a project.

Keep us updated.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
JOJABOY

Running, Steering and Stopping. If it runs and steers....go through the brakes first. Check shoes and wheel cylinders. I through a brake booster on my drum brakes and really like the way it stops. $25 for a used booster and 15 minutes to just bolt it in. Simple and cheap. If you don't like it then you can go to discs later when you do your motor.

I also think 2/4 drop looks good on the long wheel base models. Springs aren't real expensive and with only a 2" drop up front you shouldn't have to change shocks and whatnot.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Nice truck. If I could offer any advice, it would be to keep an open mind, be flexible, and realize that the current plans you have probably will change as you learn more. Right now, you will have a tendency to a apply euro and new car mentality to this truck, and that may or may not be how you ultimately end up feeling. Just don't do anything too drastic that you can't undo until after you get in and get settled with a feel for the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
Running, Steering and Stopping. If it runs and steers....go through the brakes first. Check shoes and wheel cylinders. I through a brake booster on my drum brakes and really like the way it stops. $25 for a used booster and 15 minutes to just bolt it in. Simple and cheap. If you don't like it then you can go to discs later when you do your motor.

I also think 2/4 drop looks good on the long wheel base models. Springs aren't real expensive and with only a 2" drop up front you shouldn't have to change shocks and whatnot.
Hey man, how you been? I could really use your help sometime doing that mod to mine
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Hey man, how you been? I could really use your help sometime doing that mod to mine
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm back up to full speed (after foot surgery). Been busy....Haven't done much to my truck lately. I did fab up an in bed spare tire mount on the back of my tool box this past weekend. Been shopping around for a 700r4 here lately.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
t300

thanks guys. more pics coming soon. i just brought it home Friday night and have only spent about 10 minutes looking it over since then.

if I find a 73-87 front end to bolt on so I get disc brakes, are they all 5bolt pattern or is there any option for 6 bolt so I don't have to look for wheels at this time? And as well, companies like ECE list 'disc brake' upgrade kits but they have the disclaimer of "won't fit under stock 6 bolt rims".

I'd really like to get discs under there and a static lower, but would rather not have to pony up the $$$ for rims and tires right now. That can come later.

thanks for all the posts!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
First c10

t300,
I purchased a used but complete cross member out of a 79 c10. i took it apart rebuilt all the peices that i am adding to my sons 70. i purchased mcguagys drop spindles with the disk conversion in 6 lug. just waiting for paint to dry on the frame so i can assemble the front with basiclly 73-87 front end on the 70. as far as the disclaimer i think they are talking about the original 1970 steel wheels that have clearance issues with disc brakes, but i am sure some one will chime in that knows more. i have 15/8 chrome rallys and they clear the calipers. good luck! Scott
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
t300

After a bunch of research, I think I will just call up ECE and see what they can do for a front disk + 2.5/4 drop + rear brake refurb. Or possibly go with rear discs via captainfab bracket. I just have to decide if I want to keep 6 lug or go with 5. I have my heart set on Boss 338 in 18", but I don't really want to pony up cash for rims/tires at this point. The 16" ones I have on right now have lots of life left and will do the job for this year.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
yuccales

That's a good looking truck.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Gokart Mozart

There's several companies doing 6 lug disc brake conversions.
vendors http://67-72chevytrucks.com/links/browselinks.php?c=7
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote