The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Hawssie

Whats a 6 lug d.b.factory application?

I know a lot of people change from 6 to 5 lug when they do disc brake conv. on 2wds. But since I am going to use steelie wheels I dont see the point for me to change. My question is what is an application I can use if I need to get the discs in six lug 2wd form? I see them sold at places like Early Classics etc. but what if you need them locally what year truck do I say I have to look up the right part, since the 1971-72s are 5 lug stock.
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
tmc1986

Re: Whats a 6 lug d.b.factory application?

subscribed. i was wondering the same thing. i bought my 6 lug conversion kit from brothers tonight so i can just keep the 6 lug rear axles but it made me wonder what happens when i need new rotors, will i be able to replace them without going back to brothers? i hope we are on the same page, its late and im not sure if i completely understood your post.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
SS Tim

My understanding is they are only a speciality aftermarket part. Thus not something you pick up on a Sunday afternoon from a local parts house.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Since '71: 2wd 5-lug/4wd 6-lug on 1/2 tons. I know that in '88 GM started making light duty 2500s with 6-lugs and I know the whole front end assembly will go under these trucks,so...? Those all had 16" wheels and I know nothing about the rotor sizes. But that's the direction I'd go looking in.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Hawssie

Well I think I just got talked into 5 lug. I dont like the fact that I have to rely on aftermarket specialty only. Not that that in itself is a big deal but now adding up the pros and cons it just slipped to the 5 lug column now! About the 6 lug from GM, I do remember the light 3/4 ton 6 lug stuff in 88 up but those are from a different generation then 71-87. Everyone wanted that light 3/4 6 lug semi-floating 14 bolt rearend to put in place of the 10 bolt because it would bolt up and have the same 6 lug pattern but was a lot stronger. That sounds like a whole other topic using that stuff!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
jocko

Normally, folks change to 5 lug for better wheel selection. Buying an extra set of 6 lug rotors (if you're afraid the company won't be there when you need em) is cheaper than all new 5 lug wheels AND a 5 lug rear end conversion (i.e. think - "I don't want to carry 2 different lug pattern spare tires...) On the other hand - keep in mind that pre-71 6 lug wheels won't fit over the calipers - you'll really need 71+ k10 wheels if you want 6 lug steelies. Personally, I would just go with 6 lug and grab a set if 71+ k10 wheels (5) so you only have to carry one spare (and not have to worry about swapping the rear end to 5 lug). I think it would be easier and possibly less expensive than a full 5 lug conversion plus wheels. Since you'd need disk brake wheels even if you stay 6 lug, wheel costs is a bit of a wash.

Comes down to what you want to pay for:
a) 5 qty 6 lug disk brake wheels AND buy a few extra rotors now (or later IF you need them)
b) 5 qty 5 lug wheels AND a rear axle 5 lug conversion. And then you'll still have to buy new local parts store rotors when they wear out.

Seems to me the only "real" issue I would have is worrying that since they are a specialty item - 6 lug rotors might not be available down the road (call me a doomsdayer...) Sooooo, that worry can be eliminated by buying an extra set (or two) of rotors and for still less than the price of a 5 lug rear end conversion. 6 lug would be my vote. IF you want a certain wheel that is only available in 5 lug, then the problem becomes elementary.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jocko; 05-07-2013 at 12:29 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Normally, folks change to 5 lug for better wheel selection. Buying an extra set of 6 lug rotors (if you're afraid the company won't be there when you need em) is cheaper than all new 5 lug wheels AND a 5 lug rear end conversion (i.e. think - "I don't want to carry 2 different lug pattern spare tires...) On the other hand - keep in mind that pre-71 6 lug wheels won't fit over the calipers - you'll really need 71+ k10 wheels if you want 6 lug steelies. Personally, I would just go with 6 lug and grab a set if 71+ k10 wheels (5) so you only have to carry one spare (and not have to worry about swapping the rear end to 5 lug). I think it would be easier and possibly less expensive than a full 5 lug conversion plus wheels. Since you'd need disk brake wheels even if you stay 6 lug, wheel costs is a bit of a wash.

Comes down to what you want to pay for:
a) 5 qty 6 lug disk brake wheels AND buy a few extra rotors now (or later IF you need them)
b) 5 qty 5 lug wheels AND a rear axle 5 lug conversion. And then you'll still have to buy new local parts store rotors when they wear out.

Seems to me the only "real" issue I would have is worrying that since they are a specialty item - 6 lug rotors might not be available down the road (call me a doomsdayer...) Sooooo, that worry can be eliminated by buying an extra set (or two) of rotors and for still less than the price of a 5 lug rear end conversion. 6 lug would be my vote. IF you want a certain wheel that is only available in 5 lug, then the problem becomes elementary.
Posted via Mobile Device
I respectfully disagree about the cost. Grab front crossmember from 73-87 truck, 100.00 from local salvage yard. Bolt it in place. Buy new Calipers and hoses if needed (I would). Then get the rear axles redrilled, or buy new ones from moser. Thats the way I have done it in the past. Cheaper and easier than the aftermarket stuff. JMHO though.

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
Hawssie

That sounds like a great idea. But what I was debating was wether to stay with 6 lug or convert to 5 lug, but either way converting to discs. At first I couldn't justify converting to 5 lug, but instead just converting my six lug drums to discs and leaving the rear end alone. Since I was going to use steel wheels anyways. But now that I realize there is really no factory option 6 lug disc brakes for our trucks,just conversion disc, and I also noticed that these 6 lug disc brakes cost more then 5 lug. So in a way your really being more original in a sense by converting to 5 lug.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I thought I read that the post-87 front end assemblies will also swap under these trucks. No?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
I respectfully disagree about the cost. Grab front crossmember from 73-87 truck, 100.00 from local salvage yard. Bolt it in place. Buy new Calipers and hoses if needed (I would). Then get the rear axles redrilled, or buy new ones from moser. Thats the way I have done it in the past. Cheaper and easier than the aftermarket stuff. JMHO though.
Excellent point, don't disagree with you at all - for some reason i read the op to be interested in only swapping rotors - so that's how I approached it. A front crossmember swap is also a great option. On the other hand, not everyone can find a front crossmember with all the parts for 100, and even when swapped, it's still very used and will need some new consumable parts. But if a good deal can be found on a crossmember, yes, great approach. And, cpp offers a fairly inexpensive 5 lug rear axle swap kit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jocko; 05-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
jocko

Ok, not close, but here u go: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=534450
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I thought I read that the post-87 front end assemblies will also swap under these trucks. No?
I'm not sure about the whole assembly. I thought I did read somewhere that certain 6 lug trucks spindles and rotors could be used. I think I back burnered the idea because of the complication of wheel, ball joints, and tie rod mixing that had to occur. I'm much to forgetful to remember overly different year of vehicle part on my truck when something breaks down. And much to forgetful to remember to write it down! I try to keep the parts generally grouped from the same truck. But I do believe I saw it somewhere on here. Heck I think I may even have it bookmarked somewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
jorgensensc

Found them!
Here's a little light reading for you:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=disc+brake

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=401341

Hope this helps!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

That's a big help!

Tim

Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
dyrt

There are some posts i could find for you about this but since i am at work i will make the response quick. If i recall correctly, if you want to use all stock gm parts, you need to use a 3/4 ton lower control arm, 1/2 tom upper(or vice versa, you will have to look it up), and the 2wd spindle off of an 88-up pickup that has heavy duty 5 or 6 lug front brakes. They made them in both 5 and 6 lug at this point so you can just buy the right new rotors to fit the spindles. I believe they are the 1 1/4 inch option in these years as well. It turns out that one balljoint is that same as a 1/2 ton and the other is the same as the 3/4 ton in our years, hence the need to run one of each control arm. You will need to use an 88-up caliper et al, but this is the direction i would have gone in had i not bought the mcgaughey setup. Next time i have some time in the junk yard i am going to grab one of these setups in case the need to use it comes up in the future.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote