The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Maladd

Worst exhaust job ever, I feel violated!

Got my truck in the exhaust shop today, had to use a new shop since the normal one didn't tell us they were full up when I called and my wife had towed it 60 miles to them. Call around and a shop that came highly recommended said they could get it done today.

Only thing we needed done is to cut the piece out from the Ram Horns to the first weld and install one the proper length (Old engine was in the 4wd slot instead of the 2wd).

She gets there about 1:00 pm and gets out after 6:00 pm. They told her they couldn't find any nuts for the bolts they installed in the Ram Horns. I tell her no big deal, bring it home and I'll find some.

Truck gets here and I noticed that the exhaust isn't moved back, but installed at the length it already was. I find all the following wrong:

Driver side:

Hitting the control arm, hitting rear crossmember, hitting the rear shock, no middle hanger (only hanger is at the very back of the frame which looks like when taking a dip it will pop up and hit the transmission support)

Passenger side:
Also has no middle hanger, is about 1/4 inch from rear crossmember, hitting the trailing arm, hole in the weld on outlet side of glass pack (not sure why they cut the weld unless they were having trouble turning the exhaust), less than 1" from rear axle, exhaust pipe ends further out and at a different angle than the driver side, and rear hanger is only in the bushing less than a half inch.

Am I out of mind....I just can't imagine any exhaust shop doing such a terrible job.

What would you guys do...I'm planning on calling them tomorrow, but don't think I want them to even try to make it right themselves.

Thanks,
Jeff
Maladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Worst exhaust job ever, I feel violated!

Sounds like you found a cut rate shop that took advantage of you not being there to say exactly what you wanted and inspected along the way. Call them and see. Usually at a muffle shop your payment and leaving constitutes your acceptance of the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
tmc1986

if they are a small shop then tell them you want it fixed and looking perfect or a refund. you can always throw the L word around too, "LAWYER". specifically if they dont want to work with you or you are not satisfied with the end product. small businesses run off of word of mouth and generally they dont have time or money to deal with you in small claims court. obviously you dont want to actually go to court but its an option or at least a threat.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
jorgensensc

Did you pay by credit card or check? If so call the bank and issue a stop payment or a charge back on it due to terrible work. Do that first then call them and let them know you stopped payment and will be happy to let the funds go through when they redo the job to your satisfaction. They Definitely took advantage of your wife (female) and you not being there.

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Koffer

That sucks ,
Call up and tell them about it , Don't go all nuts right off the bat , if its a small shop might have been a mistake and most likely take care of it

I went to a shop I always use with my new to me 6 cly stepvan .
The owner keeps a good eye on his employees when they are working . They did a manifold back system . Looked and came out good . I drove it home and even before I got home I had a nasty rattle at idle , thought it was the crap I had in it so I went and checked , nope thats not it .
I look under and see that one of the hangers was already broken loose .
When the owner was taking care of another cust in the office one of his guys was able to weld one of the steel hangers to the aluminum cross bars.
It was just about 5 so I called up and the owner was very not happy ( he was letting his guys know how much so when he set the phone down and yelled into the shop) and asked me to come back 1st thing in the morning and he himself would take care of it.
Since his shop is about 40 mins away he knocked $50 off when I returned and he took care of it himself and added a couple extra hangers for good measure .
Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
Square_78

Call them and say u are bringing it back. Should be touching anywhere. Put it up on the hoist and show the owner/manager your concerns.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Maladd

Think that's what I'll do. I've decided that if they don't either fix the problem or refund the labor I'll just post pictures of it on the internet and see if I can it up high on the search results. Shouldn't be too hard since they don't have their own website.

I just can't believe someone would put this kind of work out, I'd be completely embarressed if I had.

Jeff Porterfield
Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Maladd

Well called the shop this morning. They weren't too receptive about a refund, and I wasn't going to let them touch it again. After some heated discussion they seemed to think they had done a good job. So I advised them that since they didn't own <company name>.com that I'd just buy it and post my pictures of their work on it and give them some free advertisement.

Manager quickly decided to call the owner and they ended up giving me a full refund. The manager explained to me that the whole crew was new and didn't know anything about exhaust...somewhat strange for an exhaust shop.

Took it to a local shop and they had it finished today. Guess everything worked out in the end.

Jeff
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
jorgensensc

Good for you. Nicely done.
Posted via Mobile Device

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote