The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
glljr

Blown 327

Here is the Dyno graph from the last pull on my blown 327. Air fuel is a little fat but better safe than sorry. Timing is set at 32 degrees all in by 2500 rpm's. Numbers seem a little low to me any suggestions would be helpful.
Attached Images

glljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Blown 327

What boost and cam?
Curious why you stopped at 5500?

I don't know blower motors that well but 8.2 a/f and dropping seems like it's MAJOR fat not 'a bit'

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
glljr

Boost gauge was showing 8 psi and the cam is a summit k1103. We stopped at 5500 cause doesn't really make any power after that.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
AJII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
What boost and cam?
Curious why you stopped at 5500?

I don't know blower motors that well but 8.2 a/f and dropping seems like it's MAJOR fat not 'a bit'
It looks like it's staying above 10 the whole time. Not incredibly rich.

Any detonation at all? Did you try backing off the timing and giving it more RPM?

Last edited by AJII; 06-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
AJII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
glljr

The air fuel doesn't get under 10 unless I am reading the graph wrong. I could lean out the secondaries a bit and shoot for 12 if that will help. What about the lean dip in the beginning?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
glljr

No detonation. Just hooked up my msd 6btm for the timing retard just to be safe. The cam is only rated to 5200 rpm. Also has aluminum heads with 195 intake runner 64cc combustion chamber with 1.6 roller rockers long tube headers and full 3 inch exhaust.

Last edited by glljr; 06-04-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Blue Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by glljr View Post
No detonation. Just hooked up my msd 6btm for the timing retard just to be safe. The cam is only rated to 5200 rpm. Also has aluminum heads with 195 intake runner 64cc combustion chamber with 1.6 roller rockers long tube headers and full 3 inch exhaust.
That is at least HYD Roller Territory an high RPM with those heads an the small CI's.
Blue Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Boost gauge was showing 8 psi and the cam is a summit k1103. We stopped at 5500 cause doesn't really make any power after that.
Did you have a target power range before starting your build? What type of supercharger (my apologies if it is posted somewhere else)? Did you select that cam as part of the complete blower combination, or were your top end components chosen in stages, and are you willing to change cams at this point? Also, is 8 psi of boost your goal, or were you looking for more? Just trying to get some clarity on your combo.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
glljr

The blower is a weiand 177 with a holley 750. Had a comp 292 in there at first went with the smaller cam to go with the stock converter and the 3.08 gears. Drive it daily was shooting for closer to 400 rwhp.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I don't know that much about boosted engines, but that looks like a mismatch of parts. Heads with too big of intake ports for the cu in of engine. Too small of cam for power goal. Too big of carb for size of engine.

Is this an engine dyno, or a chassis dyno?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
Marv D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJII View Post
It looks like it's staying above 10 the whole time. Not incredibly rich.

Any detonation at all? Did you try backing off the timing and giving it more RPM?
Yeah it's time for new specticles I guess. I couldnt see the img that well and it looked like the line it was hovering around was 8.2.. but but it's 12 (DUH!!)

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Super73

Lean spike.. I am not the best carb tuner but from what I understand that could be an accelerator pump issue. Perhaps too small, but I'd have a few others comment before taking my word on that one.

AF... Sorry, but from the hit I think it is too rich and only getting worse. Some motors like more fuel and some don't. But we are talking less than .5 of AFR. My finding is most don't. I have seen some pretty big gains getting out of low 11/high 10 AFR and putting the motor where it likes it. Some like 12.6 some like 13. The old saying that "fat is safe" is being proven untrue more and more every day. What happens to the extra fuel in the cyl? Once it gets past the first ring in to the second, build enough heat and you could be lifting a ringland.

I have watched a budy of mine tune carbs on a dyno and he does it similar to how I do EFI:
Keep timing mild
Get fuel curve right, IE get it flat fast and find where the motor makes most power.
Then start adding timing back in at 2* increments until it does not make any more power. Then back it off 2-4 degrees.
Less advance is always more safe than more fuel.

I bet there is 40rwhp in that tune. But 100rwhp, probably not.

The reason for going with a smaller cam would definately be justifiable if you were still NA, but being blown, it is probably hurting you.

I personally don't think the heads runner size is an issue, being boosted will definately over come any short comings there.

You are seeing 8lbs of boost? Did you double check with a boost gauge while making pulls?
Posted via Mobile Device
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
The blower is a weiand 177 with a holley 750. Had a comp 292 in there at first went with the smaller cam to go with the stock converter and the 3.08 gears. Drive it daily was shooting for closer to 400 rwhp.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gotcha...based on this, I think the power band is right in line with what I would've expected. I select my cam more based on the cylinder heads and induction type as a combination. I then select my torque converter last based on the power band the final engine combo makes, and the chassis weight.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Blue Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
Gotcha...based on this, I think the power band is right in line with what I would've expected. I select my cam more based on the cylinder heads and induction type as a combination. I then select my torque converter last based on the power band the final engine combo makes, and the chassis weight.

With those gears an stock converter the cam matches good. Just can not help to think it would run a little better with the heads matched.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
Super73

Am I the only one here that is of the belief bigger runners are not a big issue when there is positive manifold pressure? Under vacuum, I would absolutely agree that a smaller port that flows the same cfm is going to aid velocity and mid range tq. But when you have positive manifold pressure, you are forcing air in past the intake valve. In my opinion there is a major difference between the two.
Posted via Mobile Device
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
T Smith

When I was playing with blown Mustangs I concentrated on the exhaust side because the intake will take care of itself when you're forcing it in there. A split profile cam with more lift and duration on the exhaust is good, keep the centerline more along 110-112 so you don't bleed off your boost, a blower will tame a cam so go bigger than you would for normally aspirated, port the snot out of the exhaust, big headers and pipes, 32 degrees timing is plenty, and I'd consider even more carb (minimum 750)and be sure to boost reference the power valve.

I had a 302 putting 437 horses and 413 torque at the rear weels with 13 pouds of boost, B&M 177 blower with a highly modded R3310 750 Holley, gauging on a risky T5 and was running 11.7 @127 mph with 3200 pound mustang full interior, boom box, and roll cage on nitto street radials p\s, p\b,cruise, tilt wheel, cold air, and getting 16-18 mpg doing it back and forth to the track. 6 inches daylight under the left front on launch...

I was spraying a 75 shot in there under the carb straight into the blower, used that as an intercooler made things get really real then, picked up 5 tenths, nearly in the tens with a daily driver.

Last edited by T Smith; 06-05-2013 at 09:53 PM.
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
T Smith

ignore my double post!

Last edited by T Smith; 06-05-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: double post!!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rat View Post
With those gears an stock converter the cam matches good. Just can not help to think it would run a little better with the heads matched.
...I agree, but if you are stepping up to a boosted induction, why then would you select the cam based on your stock torque converter and gearing if you're looking for more power? If that's the case, stick with the naturally aspirated vacuum-based induction. In this application, the heads are not the limiting factor for a larger power band. The cam (that was selected for the stock converter), which does not take advantage of the boosted induction, is the bigger obstacle for more power.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
Blue Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
...I agree, but if you are stepping up to a boosted induction, why then would you select the cam based on your stock torque converter and gearing if you're looking for more power? If that's the case, stick with the naturally aspirated vacuum-based induction. In this application, the heads are not the limiting factor for a larger power band. The cam (that was selected for the stock converter), which does not take advantage of the boosted induction, is the bigger obstacle for more power.
I agree totally. A larger bumpstick to go with those heads would prouce a lot more. But then I would want at least 3.73's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
gofastnut

I'd have to agree with Blue Rat, T Smith, and Super73.
Of course this is my humble opinion, but, I definitely think you need more cam. Going larger does not mean you have to go into super high RPM. Look at the torque this thing is making, not bad at all! I don't think the heads are too big for the engine. Putting a supercharger on there makes the engine breath alot heavier, and mimicks a larger cubic inch engine. I'd also just build for the power you want to make, then look at stall, then gears, if you feel you need to.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #21
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Yeah it's time for new specticles I guess. I couldnt see the img that well and it looked like the line it was hovering around was 8.2.. but but it's 12 (DUH!!)
Will someone help Marv back to his AARP meeting? I think he is lost! LMAO
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
Marv D

LOL, 'lost' is a serious understatement sometimes

Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I am only 45 and have lost all my close up vision in the last year. I used to laugh when I would ask guys for a Holley list number off the choke horn and they would say "hang on.....let me get my glasses". I now have reading glasses all over the house, the shop, the car and my office. All down hill from here I think.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I am only 45 and have lost all my close up vision in the last year. I used to laugh when I would ask guys for a Holley list number off the choke horn and they would say "hang on.....let me get my glasses". I now have reading glasses all over the house, the shop, the car and my office. All down hill from here I think.
Bifocals are next!
Old 06-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
Marv D

yup,,, around 45 is when things 'start' going to all to hell. You don't want to hear what's next.
Actually
you WONT hear it is the point! LOL