The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
evolved

1976 C10 Headlight upgrade H4 with wiring modification

I figured I would do a quick post on changing out my factory headlights with aftermarket H4 housings and bulbs, with updated wiring.

The factory headlight connectors are actually H4 connectors, but due to the new wiring I wanted to do with this setup, I ended up picking up new H4 connectors.

I picked up the headlights off amazon for 45 bucks, with bulbs. They stated they were 50 state legal, but when they arrived there were stickers that stated offroad use only. That and there are no DOT etchings in the glass. Since most of the truck isn't legal, I am not worried about headlights.

It doesn't take a whole lot of electrical knowledge to make this happen. I did it for under a hundred bucks, it took me a while making everything from scratch, but someone could just buy aftermarket wiring harness's for fog lights and use those.

Pre headlight pick.

new headlight pic

Auto parts store connectors and fuses needed for the new harness

Home made wiring harness

New headlight relays

Headlights completed

I am very happy with the results. Factory lights were limited by the voltage running thru the headlight switch (11 volts), now they are running 14 volts directly off the battery (voltage from the alternator). Visibility has increased, and when you have them on high beams, you can damn near get a tan standing in front of them.

Last edited by evolved; 08-07-2013 at 02:32 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote