The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
earl84

Mild drop with bags/spindles questions

I am a long ways out from doing this and have asked questions in the past about bags, etc, but as I get closer to doing this I want to be sure I do it right and do it once.

I only want a mild drop on my 66 C20, like 3 in front, 4 in back. From what I have read, bags will give a great ride, and I would like that very much, in fact that is probably the main reason for wanting to use bags. I have also read that the best way to not mess with geometry and have alignment issues is to do drop spindles up front first, then add bags. Well, it seems like this is going to drop it too low for a mild drop. Either that, or I would have to air the bags up to such a high pressure to get it back up to the height I am after that the ride quality will suffer. So, what would be the best answer for this? Probably going to start with Schrader valves, as I am on a budget, and don't have any intention of airing down and up at all.

The rear seems pretty easy, just replace the current springs with bags, done.
I intend to keep the 8 lug, just to be different, and will occasionally tow, but not often. Mostly just using it as a daily driver and a Home Depot hauler.

I know it would be cheapest and easiest to use blocks in back and cut the coils up front, but I currently have HD 3/4 ton springs and it is very stiff. So at a minimum, I would probably need softer coil springs, and I figure if I am going to spend the money, and ride is a primary factor, why not just put the money towards bags.

Another important point; I am planning to swap in an entire front crossmember to get disc brakes and power steering as well prior to or at the same time, as doing anything to the suspension. Do it once hopefully, and do it right.
Any ideas/comments. Thanks, guys/gals. And as always this forum rocks.

Last edited by earl84; 08-11-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Title change
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Mild drop with bags/spindles questions

You said you wanted 3 inch front drop and you said you were going to do a crossmember swap anyway, and you said you believe in doing it once and doing it right.

Drop spindles

You get the drop you want, perfect alignment, no effect on ride quality.

Get a 73-87 three quarter ton front suspension. Add spindles. Install. If you're saving money and really want a plush ride, make sure your donor suspension came from a small block truck and you'll have softer coils along in the bargain.

Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
earl84

Thanks, Tx Firefighter. I guess I was sort of stuck on the ride quality of bags versus coil springs. Sounds like from your reply that the small block springs will ride real nice. Have your, or anyone else out there, ridden in a bagged front versus the small block coil spring equipped truck and care to comment on ride quality?

I think what you say is probably the easiest and least expensive way, and then just add bags in the rear (fairly simple) and then I can air that down/up to haul if I want to or make a softer ride. The 3/4 ton HD springs in the rear are really harsh with no weight back there.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
65Gregg

"Get a 73-87 three quarter ton front suspension. Add spindles. Install. If you're saving money and really want a plush ride, make sure your donor suspension came from a small block truck and you'll have softer coils along in the bargain"

Why 3/4 crossmember instead of 1/2 ton?

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Gregg View Post
"Get a 73-87 three quarter ton front suspension. Add spindles. Install. If you're saving money and really want a plush ride, make sure your donor suspension came from a small block truck and you'll have softer coils along in the bargain"

Why 3/4 crossmember instead of 1/2 ton?
Because his truck is a C20 and he said he wants to keep thec8 lug pattern.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
65Gregg

Oops, if I had paid more attention I wouldn't have to ask dumb questions.

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
SCOTI

For the budget & drop goals you stated, I would do drop spindles & swap the front coils to non HD/sbc springs. Do the rear w/bags. The bags up front will be an added expense that's not necessary @ the desired drop.

Use the money you would have spent on front bags + required hardware for good quality shocks & a sway bar if there's not already one there. Also... not really a need to swap the entire x-member for just the brakes & steering parts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
earl84

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have read through the Disk Brake Conversion thread a couple times, and was never really sure if I could just switch out everything except the crossmember. Wasn't sure about the ball joints and stuff. So, can I just change out everything and leave my crossmember in place and attach the stuff to it? I know I will still have to drill a hole for the idler arm. This would make it a lot easier.
I think I will listen to everyone's advice and go with SBC springs in front and bags with Schrader valves in back. Also, try to find a sway bar and put it in along with all these other things. Still a future project, but in the info gathering and research mode right now.
Thanks again.