The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
tlcrz1972

Old dog learns new trick

This is for all you who have went to the dark side and went to fuel injection.

I finally decided after to many years of allowing the service engine soon light to be at the bottom of my dash to finally decide to find it a permanent location in the instrument cluster.

So I'm about to drill a hole in the cluster back to route the wires into the unused gage area next to the oil pressure. Though I'm just not thrilled about doing so, I decided to explore other options.

Now in the fuel gauge face there is the brake light and a temp light. Well of course the brake light always illuminates at startup to signal that it works. But I have never seen the temp light illuminate. Well there is a good reason, the location in the plug for the temp circuit in the back of the cluster that slot isn't used.

So a few minutes of rough wiring it in to see if it works and I turn the ignition switch and it lights up. All I had to do was remove the contact from another dead harness cluster plug and splice it into the SES wire coming from the computer and I'm done.

Now the next thing I'm looking to do is get the silk screen from a computer cluster and put it in place of the temp light lens.

Man I should have done this a long time ago.
1972 Chevrolet Cheyenne LB 1/2 ton finished restoration/rebuild 1995 350 throttle body FI, 4L6E (running on modified GM wiring harness) 3.08 posi rearend, factory A/C on 134A, p/s, p/b, late 70's power windows and locks and cruise, speakers in the dash + 6x9's behind the seat, factory tilt, 40 gallon fuel tank in the bed with integrated tool box, air assist bags on the rearend, sway bar up front and much more.

1972 chevrolet SNB finished 2002, 350 TB FI, TH400, factory A/C, p/b, p/s, (FOR SALE)

1969 Chevrolet 1 ton in work, home made PTO dump bed extended frame, 350 CI ,

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton suburban future project

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton p/u maybe a project one day

1966 Toyota Landcruiser my playtoy
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Syndrome

Re: Old dog learns new trick

I need to do this with my truck, I've got TBI with OBDI in it. I'm currently having trouble getting it to start, I think it would help to have a decent check engine light on it.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
tlcrz1972

Re: Old dog learns new trick

It is very simple, the ground is already there, built into the printed circuit so all you need to wire in is the single wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I need to do this with my truck, I've got TBI with OBDI in it. I'm currently having trouble getting it to start, I think it would help to have a decent check engine light on it.
1972 Chevrolet Cheyenne LB 1/2 ton finished restoration/rebuild 1995 350 throttle body FI, 4L6E (running on modified GM wiring harness) 3.08 posi rearend, factory A/C on 134A, p/s, p/b, late 70's power windows and locks and cruise, speakers in the dash + 6x9's behind the seat, factory tilt, 40 gallon fuel tank in the bed with integrated tool box, air assist bags on the rearend, sway bar up front and much more.

1972 chevrolet SNB finished 2002, 350 TB FI, TH400, factory A/C, p/b, p/s, (FOR SALE)

1969 Chevrolet 1 ton in work, home made PTO dump bed extended frame, 350 CI ,

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton suburban future project

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton p/u maybe a project one day

1966 Toyota Landcruiser my playtoy
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote