The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
1968k10blue

a few questions

Okay, I have a few questions for you guys if you can answer them. I have a truck that is a slight Jodhpur of parts, a 67 front end including cab, a 68 box, and a 73 engine. But I ,amen here to ask that it's a 4x4 and when I drive down the road I hear a clicking sound which sounds like it's coming from the front axle, I think it may be a lockout isn't engaging and making that sound. Second when I brake when going down hills the rear wheels fend to lock up, this I believe to be a bad master cylinder since it doesn't get the greatest pressure unless you pump the brakes. I just replaced both front shoes and wheel cylinders and didn't solve the problem. Third, when the RPMs drop my headlights will dim. I have a brand new alternator which is outputting the correct voltage at idle, so I was wondering if this could be due to corroded connections somewhere in the line of the power to the lights. I think these are the mIke problems I would like answers to, but I will post more here if I find anymore that Need do be addressed right away that I can't find the answers to myself. I appreciate any answers I might get out of this thread. Thank you all!
Posted via Mobile Device
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: a few questions

I can maybe give you some guidance on the lights.The connections are 40+ years old.Clean the up and that should help.Also,do a search and you will find a write up on "Headlight relay Mod".It will show you how to wire in relays to give the lights better power,reduce the load on the headlight switch and dimmer.The fluctuation in lights you're seeing is probably corrosion along with resistance in the connections.The clicking noise you're hearing could be a number of things from a wheel bearing to a U-joint.You'll need to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from to find and fix it.Does it do it at low speeds?If so maybe you can get it on jackstands or a liftand listen for it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
1968k10blue

Re: a few questions

Thank you for the reply, that's what I though about the lights. But as far as the clicking, I am fairly sure it is the lockouts since it didn't do it when I bought it and I had to year apart the lockouts to try and get one of them to work I haven't even tried to set them both to free to see if that fixes it. But thank you for your input!
Posted via Mobile Device
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote