The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
weever82

Best places online for Moog suspension parts?

The last thread with the red 68' sitting on the side of the road has me thinking that I should probably swap out my tie rods, ball joints, pit arm... etc... They are so junked full of crap that I know they are pretty darn old. Also besides the fact of replacing them is much safer with my family in the truck.. it will handle better.

So... with that said. Where is everyone getting the deals on suspension parts these days? Just calling up local shops or ordering online? Going to be pretty expensive getting everything.

Thanks for getting me off my lazy butt.

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Lee H

Re: Best places online for Moog suspension parts?

I'm a fan for supporting my local businesses & keeping my tax dollars in my community even if I have to spend a little more. Given that, I think summit racing probably has the best online prices, just need to be sure your ordering the correct part numbers for your ride.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
weever82

Thanks for the reply Lee,

Ya... I was worried about ordering the wrong ones and then having to ship back and forth.. yada yada... Might just cruise the whole truck over to my lil shop I have used for alignment before and get the right ones ordered out. I also usually order local to help the brick and mortar businesses. Thanks for reminding me!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
wgeyer88

If you order online, you can't beat rockauto.com. Their prices are almost always lower than anything else out there.

If you do a quick search on here, there are a few threads with all the part numbers to rebuild the front end.

1970 CST10 SWB LQ4/4L80E
2004 Silverado (sold)
2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500
wgeyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Lee H

List of part numbers would be helpful. Stock is pretty easy but if components have been changed like spindles, control arms, front clip, it gets a little more difficult. My truck is a mixed bad, ball joints & outer tie rods are 73-87, all else is stock.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I do a lot of suspension work and order all my Moog stuff from Rockauto. I also believe in shopping close to home, but even with a shop account at my local O Reilly parts store, Rockauto beats the prices by 40 percent.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
chevy72blu

Rock auto is the way to go. Just make sure you are getting the right part and get to it quickly. They are pretty strict about their 30 day return policy. I understand why they do it, but I've been burned a few times (my own stupid fault)

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
kcsa75

I recently online ordered a Moog Pitman Arm and Idler Arm for my '72 from Advance Auto. With a promo code, I saved $86 and got free shipping for spending more than $75. With shipping, I saved about $25 over Rock Auto or and significantly more over any of my local parts stores. If I have any problems, I can always return it to one of two stores close to my home.

The wife and I wholeheartedly agree with supporting local businesses and do so whenever possible, but saving more than half is hard to pass up. For what it's worth, Advance has 20-some stores and a distribution center in Greater Kansas City. So while the money is ultimately going somewhere else, I'm doing my small part to keep a bunch of people employeed locally.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
weever82

I have heard of RockAuto but didn't know if they were a good company or not... Good to know I can order things through them if I can't find them local or significantly cheaper there.

I was also worried about part numbers because my truck isn't original anymore. Nobody could figure out what my steering box was from and will be tricky trying to order arms online.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weever82 View Post
I have heard of RockAuto but didn't know if they were a good company or not... Good to know I can order things through them if I can't find them local or significantly cheaper there.

I was also worried about part numbers because my truck isn't original anymore. Nobody could figure out what my steering box was from and will be tricky trying to order arms online.

That's the great thing about part numbers; even your steering box will have one. Find out what that is, and that will help you with what kit and such you'll need.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Carmen Black

I buy most everything I can from Amazon.com. Their Moog parts are about 40% below Advance Auto.

Amazon has a part finder in their automotive section, but it is hard to use. If you put in some time and compare part numbers to what summit racing and advance auto's online catalog shows, you can be pretty sure to get the right parts.

I am an Amazon Prime member, so I get free two day shipping, which comes in real handy when you are in the middle of the week trying to plan your weekend project. I have also returned some items without problems.

I have tried all the online discount's that Advance Auto has, and it always turns into a big hassle. Some parts are at one store, some at another store, some have to be shipped, they don't send the 50% off coupon, the coupon comes a month later and expires before I get around to using it, they don't pull the parts before I get there, they pull the parts and then put them back on the shelf, they have no idea I placed an order when I get there and so on.

And even with the discounts and coupons, Amazon usually still beats them on price.
Carmen Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Acorn

X2 on Amazon. Just research the part number you need and only order if you can get free shipping. (Some online stores the shipping can cost more than the part!)
I just ordered all new moog front end parts for my '70 and I got them faster and cheaper than I could locally. I like to support local mom and pop buisnesses but it seems the big city has run them all out of town.
Posted via Mobile Device
Acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
wreckedchevy

http://www.northernautoparts.com/

I too am a big fan of shopping local but these guys have always treated me right
Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
Superdrag67

Rockauto for sure. You can even get 5% off codes if you do a little searching. I ripped a boot when i rebuilding my front end so i went to the local store to get a new one. They wanted like $46 for the upper ball joint, moog brand. Went to rockauto and ordered it for $11 (moog) or something. Sure i had to wait two days but i didnt need it right away.
Posted via Mobile Device
Superdrag67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
heyjoe

I have this bookmarked from when I was looking for Moog parts.

Federal-Mogul Parts Look Up
http://www.fme-cat.com/Application.aspx?yr

I collected my Moog Parts over several weeks time. Looked up the parts numbers using the above link. Then I Googled the hell out of each part number and searched Amazon, eBay, RockAuto, auto parts chains (AZ, Blo'Reillys. Advance, CarQuest). I used the criteria of lowest price including shipping and sales tax, and it had to be Moog.
I found my best deals on eBay, Amazon, Rock Auto. Decent deals can be found if you take your time.
heyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Black View Post
I buy most everything I can from Amazon.com. Their Moog parts are about 40% below Advance Auto.
I actually did a price comparison between Amazon, RockAuto & Summit yesterday. Had 13 Moog items in each cart; identical parts/part numbers in each.

Rock Auto = $218
Amazon = $265
Summit = $236

On spec alone, RockAuto are the clear winner, however shipping rates play a big deal for me. Those of you in the US would probably only see a $5-$10 difference between services.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #17
C10NEWGUY

X2 on Amazon and RockAuto. Rockauto is steady with great prices. Amazon can be hit or miss.