The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Coley

Smile Opinion on Possible Scam...or not?

Ok guys, I've just been starting to ramp some things up by selling off a lot of truck stuff I've got available and have had for a while...time to start cleaning house.
So far with some very good success including some good guys here on the forum and some stuff possibly pending within that... no worries there and I don't expect any issues at this point from within this group of guys.
That said, some guys out there in Craigslist land are finding my parts for sale with 'search tempest' (?) and to my surprise I've been getting calls from various states about the parts...from Washington State to Florida....believe it or not.
Now here is one I'm not so sure about: I've got a guy named Omar from Indiana (??) but his phone number is from Washington D.C wanting to buy some parts from me. He left me his phone number and sent me a pic of his truck (mid 80's 1 ton). But......I'm just not confident in this guy...he doesn't sound like he knows what he is looking at and is kind of vague in terms of his enthusiasm, etc. He is willing to pay for the item via western union or whatever. He has sent me his shipping address and phone number....still not sure tho'.
As a Canadian, I'm more than happy to sell and ship U.S side (pretty easy really)...but this guy is not giving me much confidence in the possible transaction. I'm wondering if he is after my info or???
The item in question is a really, really nice set of 8' Bed rails for these trucks (69'-72) with all the hardware. I've told him the shipping (due to the length) is going to be a few bucks via UPS...he doesn't seem to care, which makes me, again, a little suspicious.
Where would you guys be at in a possible deal like this? I'm looking forward to selling a lot of this stuff and I'm happy to ship U.S way...but I'm tempted to pass on this potential buyer and keep looking.
(The biggest thing for me is finding a good container to put these rails in to keep them intact....pvc pipe? cardboard? something light....this is my big challenge to keep the shipping cost down although, again, he doesn't seem to care...hmm...LOL)
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 09-26-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Re: Opinion on Possible Scam...or not?

Offering to pay via Western Union is usually a sure indicator of a scam. Tell him you only accept US postal money orders with payment sent through the US Mail. I bet he dissappears after that. Not trying to keep you from making any sales, I just hate to see people get burned. Thanks, Fred.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
Offering to pay via Western Union is usually a sure indicator of a scam. Tell him you only accept US postal money orders with payment sent through the US Mail. I bet he dissappears after that. Not trying to keep you from making any sales, I just hate to see people get burned. Thanks, Fred.
If he's serious he'll pay with a postal money order otherwise pass on it.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Coley

Smile Re: Opinion on Possible Scam...or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
If he's serious he'll pay with a postal money order otherwise pass on it.
Good info guys....what about Paypal?....good route or does that give out too much information?
That said, I have done a few successful easy transactions (U.S) with 'Paypal' with no ill effects at this point....BUT....I had a pretty high level of confidence in the buyers and all their info added up, straight up....ie: full name, address, phone numbers and direct back/forth phone conversations prior to sale, which always counts in my books.
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 09-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
low&slow
Account Suspended

If they say anything about having someone else or a carrier pick the parts up and deliver the parts to the buyer, than it's a scam. If they are calling out of state and the buyers address is in a different state, than it's a scam. If its not the actual buyer that's calling, its most likely a scam. If there is no way you can talk to the actual buyer, it's a scam. If they email you and never give you a phone number, it's a scam.

I've been through all that I listed and I know there is other ways for a scam to happen. I've been scammed on parts I've sold, things I wanted to buy, and even lost $1,600 on a house scam.

As listed above from other members, if they don't want to do a money order, than 99% of the time it is a scam. If at no reason, you can't get the buyer to work with you on how to pay and pickup, than it's a scam.

IMO, I don't do PayPal or any other online/offline pay, unless its in cash from the buyer him/herself or if its confirmed by myself and the actual buyer that we meet halfway to exchange cash and parts.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
MARKDTN

I hear what you are saying. Craigslist just seems to bring out the scammers. I would make it clear that any funds must clear before I shipped anything. I would NOT do PayPal. I would ask for a postal money order and be sure it cleared my bank before it left. I imagine he will evaporate when you give any type of terms.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Coley

...interesting.
So you guys are saying NO Western Union and NO paypal?...hmmm, ok.
Now, I'm ok with a postal money order with this guy I guess....BUT....jeez, I don't want to give this guy my direct address for some reason...hmm, wonder why LOL
What if I had him send the money order identified to me BUT to a different address (ie: my wifes place of business?)....would that limit the identity theft b.s I wonder? or however these guys make their deals if they are scammers.
I'm trying to make this bullet proof I guess....probably can't be done.
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
slow-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I hear what you are saying. Craigslist just seems to bring out the scammers. I would make it clear that any funds must clear before I shipped anything. I would NOT do PayPal. I would ask for a postal money order and be sure it cleared my bank before it left. I imagine he will evaporate when you give any type of terms.
Remember just because it clears the bank doesn't mean its ok, they can be found out to be fraudulent weeks later.

If you get the feel that something is not right, listen to yourself, you are often right.

Tell the "buyer" you don't want to ship them, thanks for the interest.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Pro Performance

It does seem odd, and I agree with going with your gut feeling. It is better to error on the side of caution and not lose out on money. I am sure another buyer will come along that is not a scam.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
JointTech

scam. only nigerians and migrant workers use western union.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
BugzC10

I also proceed with caution when bUying and selling. However, I would not be too concerned with his phone number being different from where he actually lives. I moved from Arizona to Florida 2.5 years ago. My cell phone is still an Arizona number. My daughter moved from Hawaii to Florida 5 years ago and her cell number is still Hawaii. People don't change their cell number when relocatin these days.
I would definity go PayPal. It protects seller and buyer. If he can't or won't go PayPal...to bad. My 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
leddzepp

Make sure the money is in your pocket before the parts leave your house. No money, no part...pretty simple. I have had people from out of state pay me via Western Union, paypal, personal check, etc. If he wants you to jump through a bunch of hoops, it is a scam.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Eddie H.

I'm still waiting on that guy from Nigeria to send me a million dollars.
Eddie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
harrydunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Good info guys....what about Paypal?....good route or
I hope we can do PayPal for your steering wheel!!! I'm good for it.
2004 Corvette Z06 / 2000 Covette Coupe
2006 Ducati Multistrada
2014 BMW X3 XDrive35i M Sport
harrydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
Saclandman

Eventhough a bank may cash a cashiers check or money order, if it's found to be fraudulant later, the bank will come back to you to get their money back.

I had two calls from Wisconsin wanting to buy my truck off craigslist. I'm in Cali. Both wanted to send cashiers checks and have their hauler pick up the truck. They didn't care about the condition of the truck or anything. I smelled a scam. It made no sense for a Wisconsin buyer to hire a hauler to pick up a $1500 truck in CA. They disappeared when I demanded cash only.

It's best to keep it local, face to face sale, cash only.

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Saclandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
If they are calling out of state and the buyers address is in a different state, than it's a scam.
With the ability to call from a cell phone long distance, and not incur any charges, it's possible to call from one state, and live in another. I've got a Wisconsin number, but live in Houston, so I think it's totally possible.

I still think this is a scam, only because of the "Western Union" payment. Like others, I would suggest the postal money order, and let it clear first.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydunn View Post
I hope we can do PayPal for your steering wheel!!! I'm good for it.
...no that won't be a problem at all (Harry). I believe most members on this site with a reasonable amount of history, participation, etc are serious on the parts buy and sell side of things. You can usually somehow tell the guys that can be trusted.
(that said and an interesting note: although it looks like the odd character from time to time here as dropped the ball on the deliverables according to a couple of the incidents posted in the member/seller 'complaint' areas...hopefully they have been weeded out)
All Good
Coley

Interesting update: I sent him an e-mail stating NO Western Union, period. Nothing is shipped (in this particular) case until a Cashier's Cheque or its equivalent fully clears (1-2 weeks).
Now, this is mostly a first test of response to the NO Western Union angle. We'll see what he has to say.
I've never been scammed before although I've seen the scam angles around before and sent to me as well, which I have readily identified and dumped. I don't want to start now...LOL
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
oleguy

If you think there is even slight chance it may be a scam STOP ALL CONTACT NOW!
oleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
oklalawnboy

Off subject but.... When I lived in Ontario, they said B.C. stood for bring cash. I guess you could use this as an answer for your buyer. Also I was going to ship a steering column UPS, I put it in a cardboard tube and when I got ready to ship, they said it had to be in a square box. I don't know if that's the way it is everywhere but that's what they told me in Alabama.
76 Monte Carlo
83 Chevy short wide Silverado
96 Mazda Miata, 2000 Allegro Bus
oklalawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Make sure the money is in your pocket before the parts leave your house. No money, no part...pretty simple. I have had people from out of state pay me via Western Union, paypal, personal check, etc. If he wants you to jump through a bunch of hoops, it is a scam.
This is all that matters. Legitimate folks use Western Union,too. My girlfriend sent her son rent money while he was at UTI using Western Union through Walmart. The post office closes at 5pm. These days,when you move,your phone number doesn't change. You can't tell where someone lives by their phone number like you used to. My x-wife has lived in Florida since '06 and she has a Maryland exchange (not saying she wouldn't scam ya )

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
heyjoe

The scammers want you to send a Western Union Money Gram to them, because once they get the cash from Western Union your money is long gone with no recourse.

I see no problem with him sending you a Money Gram only if you do not ship before you have the cash in pocket from Western Union.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #22
steves1967

First thing I noticed is the guy sent you a pic of a mid 80's truck. Did you by chance open the pic as an attachement? Bet you just got a spyware virus....
'24 GMC CC 4x4 Duramax Dually
steves1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #23
70Custom10Nut

He''l send you a check from some other bank for way too much, and when you inform him of his "mistake", he'll say to just cash it and send back the overage. That's where you problems start. Now you are responsible for the check and when it "Bounces", you will be responsible for it. I had someone try this with an item we sold through Craiglist once. He was in Texas, and sent me a hand written check for $3800 to pay for a $380 item. The check was from a bank in Ireland, and he wanted me to send the money to an address in Arizona. He even said I could keep $200 extra for my troubles. OoooKay.
Beware of those who you can't speak to and won't give you straight answers.
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1967 View Post
First thing I noticed is the guy sent you a pic of a mid 80's truck. Did you by chance open the pic as an attachement? Bet you just got a spyware virus....
LOL....yeah, thanks for the excellent and positive advice on this.

He sent me an embedded pic from his iphone, not an attachment.
(attached here as pdf)

Coley
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Truck-87 1ton.pdf (111.1 KB, 48 views)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 09-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
leddzepp

That's a newer California plate on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote