The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
kwendt113

72 gas tank

I'm looking to move the gas tank from behind the seat to where the spare is on a 72 C10 Cheyenne longbed. First, what tanks have been compatible in this model, second, does anyone have a compatible tank for sale in (or shippable to) CA? Any realistic, budget minded ideas would be greatly appreciated.
kwendt113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
72bowtiestepper

Re: 72 gas tank

Tank from a 69 Camaro fits pretty good...there have been several threads here detailing the install. A brand new repro. 69 Camaro tank go's for about $120.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

I've heard Blazer and Suburban tanks work, even up into the '80's. Best ask someone that knows.

I've heard bad things about repo tanks. I might would hit up a junkyard then have the old tank renewed inside. It's a process and supposed to be worth the money. I had my tank done that way but I haven't reinstalled it yet.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
72bowtiestepper

I never had a problem with a reproduction gas tank....have used them in many cars & trucks over the years. Much better than using a 40 some year old rusty gunky tank in my opinion !
Old 09-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
MSHax

I'm getting ready to do my 69 camaro tank as I type this (6:33am now, about to get in the garage and get to running lines and such in a second).

The 69 camaro tank is an awesome option for those who don't want any holes in the sides of their truck. I have a 70 c20 with the 2 aux tanks, so I've got 2 of the old timey doors on the bed, plus the giant factory nipple. The 69 tank fills behind the plate (but you lose the towing option). If you go with a side fill blazer tank you can still install a hitch, but since the camaro tank sits below the frame and blocks it off which prevents the hitch from having a mounting place.

You're in luck though, this forum is a great source of info, here's the best write up on the net 69 Camaro Tank Install
Old 09-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
I'm getting ready to do my 69 camaro tank as I type this (6:33am now, about to get in the garage and get to running lines and such in a second).

The 69 camaro tank is an awesome option for those who don't want any holes in the sides of their truck. I have a 70 c20 with the 2 aux tanks, so I've got 2 of the old timey doors on the bed, plus the giant factory nipple. The 69 tank fills behind the plate (but you lose the towing option). If you go with a side fill blazer tank you can still install a hitch, but since the camaro tank sits below the frame and blocks it off which prevents the hitch from having a mounting place.

You're in luck though, this forum is a great source of info, here's the best write up on the net 69 Camaro Tank Install
Thats the route I am going with my 72 stepside also...don't want the tank in the cab. Anyone with some fabrication skills can pull this off.