The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
jmorri34

Edelbrock carb help

Anyone in North Houston are know how to rebuild an edelbrock carb that can give me a hand. thanks
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
turp mcspray

Re: Edelbrock carb help

If you can operate a screwdriver and a needle nose pliers, you can rebuild your carb. Don't make it out to be something difficult. They are REALLY simple to work on!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
If you can operate a screwdriver and a needle nose pliers, you can rebuild your carb. Don't make it out to be something difficult. They are REALLY simple to work on!
Yea I been reading up and it seems pretty simple. Im pretty handy so Ill give it a try thanks!!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
hugger6933

It is a great DIY project and Edelbrock has tons of tech support so they can help you through it. also the owners man. is on the net do a search for it it has pages of info to help along with the rebuild. A couple of main things you need to look for with the Edelbrock, make sure there is no vac leak under the base, some manifolds have two patterns so they run either the square bore or the spread bore. It that is the case and you have one of those intakes it could have a leak causing it to run crazy stupid. Also turn down the fuel pressure. The needle and seats are pretty light on these carbs and blow open very easy any thing over like 6 or 7 lbs and your likely to have flooding issues. Lastly but NOT least, a real good filter is a must. Like one of those clear glass ones and put it between the pump and the inlet of the carb. The better the filter the better the chances are you won't have to pull out the needle and seats to clean the little pieces of crud out of them that are keeping them from shutting the fuel off. For the most part I have run several of those AFB/Edelbrock carbs and loved them all. I have always said if you want to ride go with Edelbrock, if you want to race go with Holley. I know many will argue that point but I have had much success with that plan. Good luck on your rebuild. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
It is a great DIY project and Edelbrock has tons of tech support so they can help you through it. also the owners man. is on the net do a search for it it has pages of info to help along with the rebuild. A couple of main things you need to look for with the Edelbrock, make sure there is no vac leak under the base, some manifolds have two patterns so they run either the square bore or the spread bore. It that is the case and you have one of those intakes it could have a leak causing it to run crazy stupid. Also turn down the fuel pressure. The needle and seats are pretty light on these carbs and blow open very easy any thing over like 6 or 7 lbs and your likely to have flooding issues. Lastly but NOT least, a real good filter is a must. Like one of those clear glass ones and put it between the pump and the inlet of the carb. The better the filter the better the chances are you won't have to pull out the needle and seats to clean the little pieces of crud out of them that are keeping them from shutting the fuel off. For the most part I have run several of those AFB/Edelbrock carbs and loved them all. I have always said if you want to ride go with Edelbrock, if you want to race go with Holley. I know many will argue that point but I have had much success with that plan. Good luck on your rebuild. Jim
Thanks very much for the advice Jim. It seems to run fairly well but the engine seems to be running really fat and a couple of my plugs are really black sooty. dry but sot on them and seems to be killin the holes. Great throttle response and such but just really fat so I was thinkin maybe the carb was the problem. I just got the truck down here and the PO seemed to rig stuff and I dont know much about the motor. It seems to run ok just really rich so I was thinking of rebuilding it and moving on from there. thanks again. Jerry