The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
willy3486

3 speed column shifter issue

I am having issues with a 1970 c10 with manual transmission. What is happening is that the shifter can go up or down but it won't go forwards or backwards. I can press the clutch and go up or down but it will not go into gear if I pull it or push it at the same time. I can go out under the hood and push on the linkage one at a time and each one will go up or down by its self. This truck has sat for a few years so I am wondering if something has went bad because of that. As far as the truck goes it has never been abused or hot rodded. I an thinking it may need the steering column rebuilt but could it be the transmission?
willy3486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: 3 speed column shifter issue

Take a pic of the linkage and the bottom of the steering column.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Green Hornet

These columns are prone to "Jamming up". Usually caused be wear. Been a few years since I had one but if I remember correctly from under the hood you place the tranny in nuetral by moving each rod individually. Once you do this, return to the cab and the shift pattern is restored. I remember doing this in traffic as fast as I could on more then one occasion. Running back to the cab before the truck rolled away.LOL
Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
willy3486

There is a picture of it below. For some reason at one time I think it worked fine when I got it. But now its like it is jammed as mentioned. I was hoping its something I can fix myself. If it is jammed I would love to know how to unjam it just so I can work on it for now. It was my father in laws and we can drive it around the place for now without getting it on the road, I live on a farm. I can order parts to rebuild the column and "unjam" it for now.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
cdowns

moving parts work better when cleaned and lubricated every 40years or so

bushings for shifters tend to wear out and need replacement

motor mounts and body mounts wear out and sag over time anbd cause misalignment
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
willy3486

Here is some more info on it. I went out and trued to unjam it. What I found out is the upper lever caused the up and down movement. When I had it what I think was neutral I could move the lower lever down and then the shifter had no up or down movement. Then when I moved the lower lever the shifter had no up or down movement . I can move each lever up or down and it feels like it is clicking fine but when I try to move one lever and then the other it jams and will not move. As far as dirty my FIL who had it was big into making sure everything was greased good and working. He was fanatical about that which was good but sitting like it did caused it to get like this.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
geezer#99

Do you know how a 3OTT shifter works?
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Green Hornet

Wish I remembered exactly how to unjam it. I know there is a combo of inside and outside movement to get it working again. Maybe place the inside in nuetral then go outside and do the same.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
zeldman

Sounds like the shift tube inside the column is worn out. It is replacable and the only special tools you will need is a steering wheel puller. Might look into changing the bushings for the linkage as well. It will feel and shift like it is brand new.
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
willy3486

Thanks folks. As far as 3 speed on the column I grew up with those. 69 Rambler,66 Ford truck,Galaxy,etc. First auto transmission I had was a Chevy when I was about 22. This is the first chevy truck I have had. I am ok with rebuilding the column as I have done that with another vehicle. I am just glad it doesn't sound like the transmission. As for now I will see if I can tinker with it until I can get it unjammed. I have a guy coming Friday to help me with the carb. I get him to rebuild carbs because he is good at it, I haven't had luck with carbs. Thanks for the comments.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
Badger7C9F

This thread really helped me, my 3ott was sloppy, nearly useless, I followed this, cleaned up a few parts and it is like new now (well almost)....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307
Badger7C9F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Rich916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger7C9F View Post
This thread really helped me, my 3ott was sloppy, nearly useless, I followed this, cleaned up a few parts and it is like new now (well almost)....
X2...adjusting everything cleaned mine up immensly
Old 10-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
Terry Crist

The two levers are like this, one is for first and reverse and the other is for second and third. Each one has three positions, move both to the middle positions and then you will be in neutral.

Sometimes you have to disconnect the shifters either from the column or from the trans to get the column in neutral. Make sure that your trans is in neutral (same three positions, middle is neutral). Then hook them back up. You will probably find that one of them will not line up correctly. Adjust that one so it lines up and then hook it up. That should get you around for a while.

Then you can get the parts to rebuild the shifter and you SHOULD be ok. Unless your trans shifting forks are messed up or wore out. But that is another story.
Terry Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
willy3486

Here is what I found out. I loosened up the nuts from the alignment link above. I checked the transmission and it has two levers that will go forward,center and backwards. From the info given in preveous posts I take it the center is neutral. They moved smoothly and both would go forward and backwards and clicked good into place. I also noticed that if one was in forward or backwards the other lever on the transmission would not move frontwards or backwards. Keep in mind I was by myself and could not put the clutch in.

On to the shifter column. After reading the post on alignment and seeing the pictures I tried it out. I was able to get a nail that was 3/16 instead of a drill bit. I bent the top of the nail to a 90 degree angle so it would be easier to wiggle and get into place. With the fasteners loose that hold the rods to the transmission I wiggled the shifter levers until the nail would go through the hole in the two levers. After that I rechecked and put the transmission levers in the center which if I understand correctly was neutral. I tightened then down good and pulled the nail out. I then got into the cab ,pushed the clutch in and shifted. The up and down movements were fine but I still can not pull or push the shifter knob. It stays in the same place and will not move. I still wonder if the shifter column needs to be rebuilt as when it was parked the transmission was fine and shifted fine. Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
hugger6933

Go to the home page of this site and on the left upper corner there is a list of stuff. Go to tech tips and then click on 67-72 and scroll down and find the post on how to adjust the shifter. It involves loosening some of the eyelets and inserting a 1/8 inch drill bit into a certain spot while in neutral and that helps line everything back up. But go there and read it before I mess it up it was years ago I did mine it was not wanting to go from 2 to 3. After I adjusted it, it was like shifting a new truck again. I had been looking for bushings and such to put in the shifter arms but it was not needed. I only drove it once more after adjustment though and now that column is gonna get taken out of service as I will be going to a T-5. I have both the Camaro and the S-10 trans to make the hybird tranny that the 5 speed guys say is THE one to have. I also took a van column and "shaved" the shifter knots off of it and filled them and smoothed it out so that it looks like a factory tilt floor shift model. I also got a high hump trans tunnel to put in the truck not because it has to be there but because I thought it would look more at home with the 5 sp and also the other 2 trucks have them as well. That what I end up doing just buy adjusting the shifter. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
willy3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Go to the home page of this site and on the left upper corner there is a list of stuff. Go to tech tips and then click on 67-72 and scroll down and find the post on how to adjust the shifter . Jim
I think that is what I had read at

Thanks for the reply as I went back to it and reread it. The one thing I overlooked was the part about loosening the bolt that allows you to tighten up the levers by the bearings. It has some play in it and I did not do that. I did everything else. So I bet that is the last thing I need to do. It makes sense as it has some slack in it and I can see how if I tighten it up it may make it better.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Block the wheels and put the shift lever in neutral. Spray some PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or something similar (not WD-40) into the steering column, where the shift lever goes in (in the cab). Don't be afraid to give it a good dousing. Now spray the levers under the hood. After you spray everything pull the shift lever up toward you and push it back down toward the dash. The knob should move up and down a couple of inches. Do this 4 or 5 times. This will help free up any sticking in the upper shift lever tube. The reason the shift lever moves up and down is because it should be pulled back towards you to shift it into low and reverse and towards the dash to shift into 2nd & 3rd..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

As mentioned above, lubricate everything really well and make sure everything is moving before proceeding to adjustments.

When I've had problems like this I do the following:

Check that all the grommets (rubber inserts -top and bottom) in the holes are in good condition and then disconnect or loosen the links at the column in the engine compartment. Then have an assistant move the shift column lever to make sure both levers move properly.

Next make sure both levers in the transmission are centered in the neutral position and insure the 1st and reverse lever are not interchanged with the 2nd and 3rd (had that happen once).

Make the adjustments on the top levers as mentioned with the drill bit or other. After all is centered and moving correctly, have an assistant go through the gears to insure the rods are not binding against each other. If they are loosen and twist them around so they don't touch.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
willy3486

***Resolved**** Or at least I hope so. If you find this and having a similar problem go to the link mentioned at http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307

So this is what I found out. I read the link posted above over and over. I understood the drill bit and having the transmission in neutral. When it was posted again the last time I was wondering what was going on but I re read it. I then realized I didn't adjust the bearing cam bolts or the bolts that tighten it. So I went back out and loosed the bolt and clamp. It wouldn't move so I ran over the lower part until I found another cam bolt on the back and loosed it. I reset it couple of times with no change but I continued to work on it. I finally got the cam to slide around finally to about roughly 3/4 of a inch to make it tighter. I tightened the bolt,set the transmission to neutral, then used my nail jig I mentioned earlier in place of the drill bit. I bent the same size nail of the dril to a 90 degree angle tomake it easier to move in and out. So aft that I tightened everything and tried it again. I was able to pull it and push it like it was suppose to be. I could go in N,1,2,3 with the shifter. The only issue I say is that it is really tight pushing in and out. So I plan to adjust it again to see if that helps, I may have the cam bolts pulled so it is too tight. But it is now shifting. I do plan on getting parts soon to rebuilt the column. So thanks folks. One issue for the most part is resolved.

and there are three things to make sure you do, one,adjustment on the bearing bolts,two the drill bit to align it, three, make sure the transmission is in neutral.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy3486 View Post

The only issue I say is that it is really tight pushing in and out. So I plan to adjust it again to see if that helps
Have you tried what I suggested in post #17?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
chiefcfd

Agree with LockDoc if you will lubricate where the shifter goes into the column it will help. Mine always got worse during colder weather.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
willy3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Have you tried what I suggested in post #17?

LockDoc
Yes, it helped a lot. I bought some PB Blaster before I retried it and got it going. I think one this that is going on is that my father in law really would do a good job keeping things oiled. But because it sat for a while a lot of the grease has got hard. I plan to respray the column with PB Blaster again tomorrow and each day for a few days. What it really feels like to me is that it is working good but the grease has hardened inside. Thanks for the tip, I needed some more PB blaster and your post reminded me to get some. It seems the more I work it the more it loosens. .
Old 10-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
chiefcfd

That's what would happen to mine when the weather changed. The grease would harden and it would be impossible to shift.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
DreamRyder1963

We recently had to relube my brother's shifter when it got hard to shift. He disassembled his steering wheel and greased everything on the inside of the column. It made a night and day difference. It now shifts beautifully.
http://www.dracoautodesigns.com/
DreamRyder1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #25
willy3486

Last update. I had done like Lockdoc said. Although it seemed to help down on the bottom and the adjustment also it did not help when I sprayed at the top where the shifter is. So I sprayed again at the shifter each day and worked it for a minimum of 3 times total. Well tonight when I got home from work i was able to finally get it fairly loose . I worked it over and over for a few minutes and it got really nice and free. Now it moves like a new one. So thanks all and just follow all the advice here to get your working good.