The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
gfreeze1025

Backlight for AC controls (vintage air)

So I just installed a vintage air kit in my 71 Blazer. The previous owner had removed the original controllers.

I now have the vintage air AC controls installed, but since there was nothing in the truck before in that area, I'm not sure how the back lighting is configured.

Was there a harness or different wiring that was connected to the control unit. If so does anyone have pic of what it looks like. Otherwise I might have to do a splice and dice job on the wiring to get this working.

Thanks
Gary
Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
gfreeze1025

Re: Backlight for AC controls (vintage air)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeze1025 View Post
So I just installed a vintage air kit in my 71 Blazer. The previous owner had removed the original controllers.

I now have the vintage air AC controls installed, but since there was nothing in the truck before in that area, I'm not sure how the back lighting is configured.

Was there a harness or different wiring that was connected to the control unit. If so does anyone have pic of what it looks like. Otherwise I might have to do a splice and dice job on the wiring to get this working.

Thanks
Gary
ttt
Old 11-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

What does the VA unit instructions say to do? You are using a vintage air control unit, not an oem controller, correct?

I beleive when I installed mine, I got an OEM control unit From Vintage Air. It was extra, but I wanted a brand spankin new one. The OEM controllers have two lights, one on each side. I used the American Auto Wire kit which had the lights in it, but it is pretty much oem except for the extra circuits.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
gfreeze1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
What does the VA unit instructions say to do? You are using a vintage air control unit, not an oem controller, correct?

I believe when I installed mine, I got an OEM control unit From Vintage Air. It was extra, but I wanted a brand spankin new one. The OEM controllers have two lights, one on each side. I used the American Auto Wire kit which had the lights in it, but it is pretty much oem except for the extra circuits.
Like you, I also bought the "OEM" AC controller from vintage air. It did not have lights or a harness.

I also purchased the American Autowire update kit. Hopefully this will have the AC backlight harness, and I can get some lights on the AC controls

THANKS
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
themb2g

Hi Guys,

Same situation, Same OEM kit and wiring harness. Mine did not come with the bulbs or sockets so I had to get them from an auto parts store and wire them into the Dash light circuit coming off of the connection to the gauge panel.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5427693
themb2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
gfreeze1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by themb2g View Post
Hi Guys,

Same situation, Same OEM kit and wiring harness. Mine did not come with the bulbs or sockets so I had to get them from an auto parts store and wire them into the Dash light circuit coming off of the connection to the gauge panel.

Forgive my ignorance but where to the lights "mount". I can wire something in if the American Autowire doesn't have the connections, but I don't know where to mount the bulbs.

Again... sometimes I'm just dumb.

thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeze1025 View Post
Like you, I also bought the "OEM" AC controller from vintage air. It did not have lights or a harness.

I also purchased the American Autowire update kit. Hopefully this will have the AC backlight harness, and I can get some lights on the AC controls

THANKS
The AAW classic update kit has everything you need as I remember. There is a dime sized hole on each side in the back of the controller where the bulb brackets just press/snap in.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote