The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
66 C10 383

A-Arm Mods

I'm using the 81 C10 upper and lower control arms for my 66 C10 and while I have them out I'll rebuild them. New ball joints and bushings will be installed. While I have the lowers out I hope to do the Castor Mod, too. Here's the original write up on that:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501241

I currently have the Energy Suspension poly bushings to install. Past experience many years ago with poly bushings on a 69 Camaro was not good, squeaking and binding. I want to avoid this this time around.

Anybody have a good how-to on installing grease fittings in poly a-arm bushings?

I solved that problem on my Cutlass by using the Global West Del-A-Lum bushings which are not made for the stock arms for our trucks. Any good machinists out there care to try to make some of these? I've contacted GW 3 times about this and didn't get one reply so I guess they aren't interested in parts for our trucks unless it's the complete suspension system of which I don't have several thousand dollars to throw in my daily driver suspension. Here's the GW bushing I'm referring to, these are for the 80's g-bodies.

And installed in their GW arms ...

Is the metal outer shells of the ES poly bushings even thick enough to hold a grease fitting without stripping out?

Next subject. Would the offset upper control arm shaft be a good investment to a handling aspect since I'm also doing the Castor mod on the lower arm? I don't forsee needing to replace my upper control arm shaft unless I get the offset shaft.

And finally, anyone have a good how-to on moving the upper arm and how much? I believe it's moved down and rearward?

With this being a planned daily driver with no track time (unless I just want to see what it will do), is all this time spent actually worth the trouble? I'd like to get the best handling I can to modernize what I have within reason, meaning no tubular arms. Those are too far out of my budget. I'll be adding PS and PDB so I'd like to optimize what I can while I'm rebuilding the front end.

I need all the advice I can get on this otherwise it'll be just the poly bushings and maybe the castor mod, all else remaining the same as stock.

Thanks

Old Build Thread - 383/T56
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=540838

Updated Build Thread - Modern Relic - 66 C10 536 Dark Aqua
5.3/4L60E - BTR Stage IV Truck Cam - Vintage Air - Dakota Digital
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=778784
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
bdiamond

Re: A-Arm Mods

The ES shells will hold a zerk fine. Theres a thread about moving the upper arm. I think he just moved it down. He built a custom frame piece to do it. A stock upper shaft should be fine
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
evan_cartech

Re: A-Arm Mods

I have a 71 c10 1/2 ton 2wd 1 1/4" rotor front. can I swap 73-87 control arms and drop spindles into my chassis? if I use the 73-87 balljoints can I just direct swap it all? (upper and lower control arms and spindles) are the older and new 1 1/4" rotors the same so I can keep my 6 lug? thanks for any info u can give me
evan_cartech is offline   Reply With Quote