The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
wannabefastcrf

Newbie with a 71

I recently picked up a 71 blazer and am in the process of collecting parts for it. I bought it based just on the photos and thought stole it cause the floors looked sold until I got there and seen the typical spots under the new rocker were not fixed but I bought it anyways. When it comes to the rebuild part I will need some advice for sure. Right now I'm just reading lurking and trying to estimate a budget.

wannabefastcrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
landy

Re: Newbie with a 71

Looks like it does have some rust issues, but you can get plenty of good advice on this site. Post some better pics and some details about engine and drivetrain.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Chulisohombre

Looks like you are steering with a better Solid Piece than Mine. Hope you got a good price on it. Congrats And welcome. I'd like To See some Daytime Pics. How's the interior? Mine was a gutted desert runner so I still need to find interior parts For Mine. Sometimes I wish I would have waited and got one in more solid complete condition. But at the time I Wanted it so Bad I didn't want to Wait On it. Lol
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
wannabefastcrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
Looks like you are steering with a better Solid Piece than Mine. Hope you got a good price on it. Congrats And welcome. I'd like To See some Daytime Pics. How's the interior? Mine was a gutted desert runner so I still need to find interior parts For Mine. Sometimes I wish I would have waited and got one in more solid complete condition. But at the time I Wanted it so Bad I didn't want to Wait On it. Lol
Im in the same boat! This one came up for sale only 2 hours from my house so i jumped on it. I dont plan on starting on this for a bit too so if something else comes up plans could change. The interior is a bit of a mess. I would not ever restore this. What i want is a blazer that is a good ice cream cruiser, that can also do a little off roading (mainly Silver lake sand dunes in Michigan) so it will likely have a full family style cage. The big question I have yet is to put a 5.3 in it or a old school 350 (I already have both) The transfer case / VVS issues are what Im still researching. I will work on other pictures!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Chulisohombre

It's cool to have something good enough to look cool but also not a trailer queen so you can't have fun. Mine will never be perfect. I don't have the 20 grand to make it so. But a good driver and weekend wheeler is what I wanted anyway. I had a six point cage but it wasn't made good from the previous owner and I didn't like the look. I will get another one made eventually. It strengthens up the body a lot so you don't get rocker flex.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
wannabefastcrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
Looks like it does have some rust issues, but you can get plenty of good advice on this site. Post some better pics and some details about engine and drivetrain.
There is no engine in it now. I just bought a 2002 chevy 1500 with 50K miles for the drive train. It is going to be a 5.3 4l60E. I also picked up a 91 NP241C transfer case. Im still collecting parts and pieces at the moment and doing a lot of day dreaming.

Here are a few more pictures. Its packed away right now in the barn.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
wannabefastcrf

It looks like it will cost about 1000 dollars for just the patch panels for the rockers, rocker boxes, caps, lower quarter panel, and floor supports? sound about right.

Maybe some of you can chime in too. From what I have read, the first step to working on a blazer to is do the body mounts get it mounted solid. Then floors, and afterwards if I want to take the body off the frame to work on driveline. This way I don't have to worry about body shifting / moving.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Chulisohombre

At this point does the doors close and open correctly? If so you can do the rockers now to Make sure it stays that way. To replace the body bushings you have to lift the body off the frame some to Replace them. That will cause the body to shift and maybe make it harder to get back into place. The repair panels are cheap 50-100 bucks each or cheaper. It's having a shop put them in that costs a lot of cash. I did both sides of mine under 500 bucks. Just make sure you measure twice and cut once as they say.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
wannabefastcrf

Here is a list of patches I think I need for just the passenger side which is the first three pictures in the 1/8 post. Does my list look correct
Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Chulisohombre

Looks pretty complete. You look to need the inner rocker support and front floorboard and kicker panel as well. That door needs help too. Make sure you brace the door opening before you cut any more of The rusty pieces out. That way it will keep the door openings From sagging any more.