The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
86shorty

1986 Chevy C10 Gauge Cluster Help!!!!

Hey guys, been a while since I posted. But...it always comes down to wiring with me. I figured out the headlight issue as just a burn out filament. Now..im ready to tackle the gauge cluster. As some of you may remember, my wiring is jacked up in this truck. My cluster right now has 4 aftermarket equus gauges where the 4 smaller ones are. An oil pressure, engine temp, voltage, and fuel. My stock fuel gauge does not work as I have an aftermarket fuel cell. Anyways..I have never gotten the stock dash lights to work. Makes for reading my speedo at night a pain!! My blinker light indicator is messed up, as when I signal left, my right blinker blinks (just the interior, the outside blinkers indicate correctly) and when I signal right, no interior signal. Could this just be the blinker relay? Anyway, I think I want to just replace my stock speedo with an aftermarket and put a tach in where my stock fuel gauge is. I will be gutting the actual white plastic piece on the inside. too. I plan on just using my same bezel for mounting. Now...how may I keep/fix my blinkers and brights indicators? Can anybody point me in the right direction? I don't plan on mounting the gauges behind the bezel as the 4 others are not and I don't mind the look. I'm just ready for a fully functioning cluster again and tired of the wiring stuff. I find it quite frustrating! Any pictures and guidance will be very much appreciated!
-Jesse
86shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
bilfman

Re: 1986 Chevy C10 Gauge Cluster Help!!!!

Cut your losses, hit a wrecker for a complete unmolested cluster and harness. I think that would be your best bet.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
86shorty

Re: 1986 Chevy C10 Gauge Cluster Help!!!!

Ive thought of doing that. But I dont have any of the stock sending units. I have a different fuel gauge setup with my fuel cell. Ive also though about buying a new cluster with a good printed circuit...then carefully putting my own gauges back in.
86shorty is offline   Reply With Quote