The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
72c10suburban

1/2 Ton to 3/4 Ton

The frame under my burb is pretty rough. Looks like both rails have been shifted hard to one side at some point, then straightened poorly. I'm game for a trip to the body shop, but in reality, its toast. the driver rail has had a split welded up and the front suspension crossmember has been welded to the rail on that side. on the passenger side there is a decent kink on the top side right at the trans crossmember.

Locally ive found a 72 3/4 ton burb that is also coil spring rear. It runs and drives with a 350 and 4 speed. The body has more issues than mine, and the interior is trashed or gone.

My plan would be to use the 3/4 ton frame, use a 73-87 1/2 ton front suspension crossmember, use my current rear end and springs.

I've searched, but have found a good bit of conflicting info. I want to insure that the body mounts will align the same on the 2 frames. Any other hitches yall could see with this?

I've read that the 3/4 ton coil trucks had additional bracing near the coil pocket, heavier rear arms, and a thicker panard bar? What would the differences be?
72c10suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: 1/2 Ton to 3/4 Ton

I'm sure the body mounting points would be exactly the same. Ive heard frame thickness is thicker on some of the trucks depending on tonnage, but never heard of a difference on the burbs.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c10suburban View Post
I've read that the 3/4 ton coil trucks had additional bracing near the coil pocket, heavier rear arms, and a thicker panard bar? What would the differences be?
I think the body mount points will be identical. The C20 frame will be thicker material. The trailing arms are the same but the C20 arms have a reinforcing channel nested in the main channel. The added piece is not even the full length of the arm. There is no reason not to use the arms.

Good luck on the swap. I've only done cabs and beds, a Suburban sounds like a project.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
72c10suburban

Thanks for the info. I've found a rolling chassis out of c10 Burb semi local, so i plan to try to pick it up soon. I couldn't bring myself to buy the C20 and part it. Too much potential left in it.
72c10suburban is offline   Reply With Quote