The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
omgitsemmanuel

rebuild stock 1961 suspension or put later clip

We are in the process of build a 1961 apache and was wondering if I should rebuild the original front suspension and or change it to a new suspension like people do. I have heard the stock suspension is smoother but is it really a big difference and is it worth even putting money in it. Anything helps.
omgitsemmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: rebuild stock 1961 suspension or put later clip

Are you wanting to stay with drum front brakes or convert to discs? Will the engine be coming out? If you are wanting discs and the engine is out, I would change over to a '71-'87 front suspension.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’d suggest it depends a lot on how you are building the truck. Is this a stock restoration, a hot rod, or a bagged chassis? If it is going to be a pure stocker driven in parades, changing the front suspension is probably a waste of money. If the truck is going to be modified and driven a lot, the newer suspension would be a nice improvement. Replacement parts are much cheaper and easier to find than the stuff for the torsion bar suspension.

Here’s a thread showing how I did mine should you choose to swap to the newer coil spring/disc brake front end:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366828
Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
omgitsemmanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I’d suggest it depends a lot on how you are building the truck. Is this a stock restoration, a hot rod, or a bagged chassis? If it is going to be a pure stocker driven in parades, changing the front suspension is probably a waste of money. If the truck is going to be modified and driven a lot, the newer suspension would be a nice improvement. Replacement parts are much cheaper and easier to find than the stuff for the torsion bar suspension.

Here’s a thread showing how I did mine should you choose to swap to the newer coil spring/disc brake front end:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366828
Well this truck is being built to be a daily driver. The work is like 4 miles away so it wouldn't be far but still daily use.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
omgitsemmanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Are you wanting to stay with drum front brakes or convert to discs? Will the engine be coming out? If you are wanting discs and the engine is out, I would change over to a '71-'87 front suspension.
I know cpp makes modular spindles for that year to run disk for like 299 but I'm guess I could find a clip for a little more or less and already be set in disk wise.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
forestb

I would leave the torsion bar suspension in it if you are not going to bag it. I put a 77 front end on mine and it was hardly worth all the work.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
skysoldier173rd

I have a 60 with the stock tortion bars and coils in rear and it rides like a dream down the highway or wherever. The bars were loosened to lower the front and the rear coils chopped to lower the rear. It's been my daily driver for 4 years and has a 350 700r4 trany. I added a dual master cyl and the brakes are great. I got an adaptor fro cpt Fab and bolted on the manual master cyl from a 67 chevy and been going ever since. Brakes are fine. I would however like power steering, but can get by with manual. You don't need to spend all that money to get on the road and be safe.
Attached Images

skysoldier173rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
AcampoDave

I had a '61 and back in the early 90's I found an ad in Custom Classic Trucks of a guy who cut the ball joint mounts off the lower A ams and welded a drop style perch in its place that accommodated the newer ball joint. I had mine done, loved them and for the life of me cannot recal the name of the place. I think maybe it was called "Solo Suspension" anybody else recall this place? I've tried a few google searches but got nuthin'.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 02-14-2014 at 09:54 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Brad54

I put over 80,000 miles on the '61 Suburban in my avatar, and LOVE the ride.
When I bought the truck 10 years ago, the unique 3-year-only ball joints and other parts were breath-takingly expensive. Those prices have come WAAAAY down in the last two years or so.
As said, someone is making disc brake spindles for them now too, which wasn't the case when I bought my truck.
I have the second prototype for front sway bars for these coming in the next week or two, and then will have nice beefy bolt-on sway bars available.

I like the ride of the T-bar, and would keep it on every '60-'62 I'd ever own.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote