The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
AZ DESERTDOG

AZ DESERTDOG’s ’54 Chevy Pick Up – Project “SQEZPLA”

I’ve bought and sold many muscle cars, hot rods, race cars etc… over the years and you know the stories when buying cars/trucks…. Any rust? Ya, a little. How’s it run? It runs great no problems, just needs a lil work etc… lol

I found this 1954 Chevy Truck on Craigslist in Virginia a few weeks ago and took a gamble sight unseen and bought it. Well… after talking to the previous owner about the condition of the truck before purchasing it – some things were as I expected, others a little better, some a little worse but for the price, it was still a good deal even with transportation costs. After a painful week working with Brokers and Transporters to get the truck shipped back to Arizona, it’s finally here. Over the next month I’m going to go front to back making sure everything is bolted down and were it should be and make a long list of needed repairs to really see what I have to work with and then get started to get her back on the road.

Currently there is a running 350 Vortech Motor, Headers, Aluminum intake, Edelbrock Carb, turbo 350, 10-bolt rear end, Flow Master Dual Exhaust etc… the rear frame has been altered to accept the larger Mickey Thompson 29” x 15.50 – 15 rear tires. There is a ’69 Chevy Camaro front sub-frame grafted onto the original frame. Interior and floors are not too bad, there is a lot of rust and some really bad body repairs to the bottom fenders front and rear. The truck starts and runs but needs the complete rear brakes including all brake lines and hoses replaced and I’m sure I’ll find some other repairs before I can get it back onto the road. The main thing, is I want it to be safe.

I love the stance of the truck and my future plans are to re-do the back half frame, a 4-link, Ford 9”, coil overs (currently there are no shocks on the rear), install a 348/409 tri-power motor, start repairing the rust and the body, down the road add some A/C and then…. DRIVE THE HELL OUT OF IT AND ENJOY IT!

AZ DESERTDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
49Fireman

Cool Re: AZ DESERTDOG’s ’54 Chevy Pick Up – Project “SQEZPLA”

Welcome. You definitely found a solid truck. I am a little jealous that you are starting with a drivable or near drivable truck so you can work on it and enjoy it between steps. Enjoy the build. -James
49Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
79azc10

Re: AZ DESERTDOG’s ’54 Chevy Pick Up – Project “SQEZPLA”

Welcome from a fellow az person and nice truck
79azc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
mikec4193

Hi Desertdog

I must be sick or something but I really like the looks of that interior...very very basic stuff there...nothing fancy..

Looks like a good start...I did the racecar thing too...got sick of getting wrecked every week...these projects are a little more manageable for sure...

MikeC
mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

looks like a very nice project.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote