The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
ERASER5

Ratcheting Line wrench

I find my self in need of metric line wrenches. I have Mac SAE wrenches for the standard small sizes and a couple of old who knows bigger line wrenches that I have never need to use. I may be in for a surprise.

I have no contacts for Mac or Snap On, so I looked on ToolTopia. I found some GearWrench ratchiting line wrenches. It looks like a spring loaded arm that resets. Any way, has any of you fellows used anything like this? My other GearWrench tool are awesome, so maybe these would be too?

Rusty brake lines are a tough customer and it takes a tough wrench do the job.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Ratcheting Line wrench

I tend to have issues with "convenience" tools. It seems like unless you buy something like that from a Mac or SnapOn, it WILL break. With the Mac/Snap/Cornwall they usually don't break, and get replaced for free if they do. I also find that most of the "adjustable" or "auto fit" type tools never grip as tightly or firmly as the good brand tool does, and the tolerances and materials also leave something to be desired.

They also never seem to be able to deliver the same amount of torque. A few examples; cheap flaring tools don't seem to grip lines or make smooth flares like a good USA set does, those CV-joint socket parts always brake on cheapies. My uber cheap gear-wrench type ( not the actual brand) stripped internally. If I can't hit my wrench with a deadblow hammer, its not a good tool. I think auto-jaw pliers are one of the few exceptions.

I end up always needing MAX grip, MAX torque and TIGHT fit on a line wrench, especially for nicely crusted old brake and fuel lines. Personally, I don't see that tool delivering the goods.

If anyone has personally used them, and they work, then I might need a set...the idea itself is great.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post

Rusty brake lines are a tough customer and it takes a tough wrench do the job.
Round just one of those off and all of a sudden the snap on line wrenches don't seem so expensive.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
earl84

I haven't used those, but I have to agree that cheap line wrenches are a waste of money. Ask me how I know. Usually, I know better, but have forgotten the lesson of buying quality and only crying once.

Incidentally, I am new to the world of oxy-acetylene, but I had a rear brake line on a old 14 bolt that I needed to remove, and could not get it with soaking in PB Blaster for a couple days (I wasn't in a hurry), almost rounded the whole thing off. Hit it with a shot of heat from the new torch, and that thing came off like butta, haha. I havd read about it a million times, but I didn't have the torch then. If that is an option for wherever your brake line is located, you might try it. You will most likely not be able to save a flexible line, though.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
ERASER5

My most recent brake line issue was the connection at the rear hose to line right next to the gas tank (plastic) and the nut was metric. No flame wrench that close to 20 gallons or so of Gas! I had to cut and reflare in tight quarters. A metric line wrench "might" have saved the day.

As for cost, that is not the issue. Availabilty of Snap-on, Mac, Cornwall is. I would have to meet the guy out on the road somewhere. I should probably just wait and look on ebay. It should be a while before I need one again. I just hate not having that one tool that makes or breaks the project and I do not have time to wait.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

The whole purpose of a line wrench is to get as much grab as possible so that you don't strip your hydraulic nuts. It seems to me that having a little mechanism in there is going to weaken your grab and cause problems! Your not typically turning a brake nut or hydraulic nut all that far anyways.

I have a set of mastercraft line wrenches and a set of Snap-On Flank Drive Plus open end wrenches and I have stripped out nuts with my line wrenches and removed them with the open end flank drive plus before. If your cool with spending $300 on a set of wrenches I highly recommend them.

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Lee H

Snap On sets on eBay, complete sets used for around $100, some more, some less. I like the sets that are flare on one end and open end on the other, they are a little more $$ than the sets with one wrench having a different size on each end.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl84 View Post
I haven't used those, but I have to agree that cheap line wrenches are a waste of money. Ask me how I know. Usually, I know better, but have forgotten the lesson of buying quality and only crying once.

Incidentally, I am new to the world of oxy-acetylene, but I had a rear brake line on a old 14 bolt that I needed to remove, and could not get it with soaking in PB Blaster for a couple days (I wasn't in a hurry), almost rounded the whole thing off. Hit it with a shot of heat from the new torch, and that thing came off like butta, haha. I havd read about it a million times, but I didn't have the torch then. If that is an option for wherever your brake line is located, you might try it. You will most likely not be able to save a flexible line, though.
I'm all for torching, but Dot3 is flammable, so just be careful.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
My most recent brake line issue was the connection at the rear hose to line right next to the gas tank (plastic) and the nut was metric. No flame wrench that close to 20 gallons or so of Gas! I had to cut and reflare in tight quarters. A metric line wrench "might" have saved the day.

As for cost, that is not the issue. Availabilty of Snap-on, Mac, Cornwall is. I would have to meet the guy out on the road somewhere. I should probably just wait and look on ebay. It should be a while before I need one again. I just hate not having that one tool that makes or breaks the project and I do not have time to wait.
Can't find them online? Heck, the cornwall guy will show up anywhere if you have a reference.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
clinebarger

GearWrench makes decent ratcheting wrenches, For Flare Nut wrenches...Mac tools makes the best, My Dad has a set...They are better than my Snap-On set.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Round just one of those off and all of a sudden the snap on line wrenches don't seem so expensive.
Snap On. period.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
Special-Ed

i have the local snap on and mac guys cell numbers so if i break anything or need something... i call them and find out where they are at and meet them... hell they have even stopped by the house as long as its on there general route.

as for line wrenches, i have snapon and mac...
Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
ERASER5

Thanks for the help guys. I found a MAC 5 piece metric set on ebay for $80. The biggest wrench was missing (#6 19-21mm) but i doubt I would ever use it.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
Ryan Hubbard

I use a lot of Hydraulic fittings in my work and we have a set of the ratcheting line wrenches. They work very well and worth the money. I bought my set through my Swagelok dealer over 10 years ago but since their patent has expired I know people are using their design. I have never had an issue if them rounding the nuts.
Ryan Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #15
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

a gimick just waiting to bust a knuckle or damage a line nut. Mac has some real cool line wrenches. Mine are semi-closed on one end and speed type on the other. But for the majority of my brake line work I use my snap-on ones. They are semi-closed on one end and open on the other.

My boss has hardware store/no-name ones and is always rounding nuts.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote