The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
jbharkjr

Looking for Input on Work Shop

Hey all, new to the forum and Chevy community although I have decided to finally move forward with my dream to get an old Chevy (67 or 68 SWB Step) but I would like to build a metal building which will basically only be used a workshop to restore, paint, and hopefully, garage the completed vehicle. I definitely want to have something built for the truck once it has been painted. There's plenty of driveway space but I'd like to keep from any accidents occurring to the truck once completed. Plus, getting in the shade with this Texas heat is never a bad thing.

Looking to see if anyone has done something similar and the regrets/decisions they would've done differently after actually working in an environment like this.

Looking for a basic shop with a garage door and enough room to house the vehicle but provide ample room on all sides. I'm not sure how confident I will be on this restore, but would like it to be possible to use as a paint booth eventually.

Thank you!
jbharkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
franken

Re: Looking for Input on Work Shop

You want input but never asked a question...
How will you insulate the metal building? In the Texas sun, it's an oven.
Start at double a 2 car garage and go from there. We can fill any space after discovering craigslist...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
donthekawguy

Take any plans you have and double it if you have the room. Once your hooked on these trucks you will not be able to stop collecting them. Also make it tall enough to get a lift.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
jbharkjr

Sorry about the indirect question...

I had a metal building/house insulated via the spray foam insulation and will probably continue the same with this one. While it is more expensive, stuff is amazing. Wouldn't mind the ability to heat and cool it either (nothing special or over the top, probably just a window unit).

Never thought about having a lift in there but that's a good idea.

With the possibility of working on a second vehicle while there's one already inside as well, would a 25'x25' be enough? I'll have to research more regarding the lift to determine the height needed.

Thank you for your input!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
slowcpe

I'd go as large as your lot and city/county will allow. I have a 32'x40' and its already too small. Of course the bigger the space the more you want to fill it with toys

2nd on making the ceiling height tall enough for a lift, even if you don't think you want one. I want one but see the above paragraph.

If your lot gets a breeze I would put windows in to allow for it flow through. I'm seriously thinking about cutting in a couple of windows on the back of my garage for that reason.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Yep, a lift is pretty important…especially for old guys like me who have a difficult time recovering from doing work on the shop floor. Also, it provides some safety, as well as the obvious convenience. The other thing that I would pay attention to is lighting. This is the ceiling lighting of my shop…I also installed perimeter lighting on the back wall where I have my benches, welding table, etc.

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 AM   #7
Jb70c10

I have a 30x30 with 2 10' wide bay doors on the fron and 1 12' door in line with 1 of the front bay doors. This will allow you to "drive thru" the shop. It comes in very handy when you are trying to get things in and out. Also allows for plenty of light and a nice breeze when opened up. Definitely go as large as possible, they get super crowded when you start tearing things apart. Definitely make your walls tall enough for a lift even if you don't put one in now, you can always do it later. Mine is insulated with 6' wide roll insulation with a white backing. Makes it much brighter in the shop and keeps the temp inside about 10 to 15 degrees cooler/warmer than the outside temp. A space heater will warm it up nicely and a good 220 AC window unit will keep it nice and cool in summer. A drain in the floor and running water would be a nice ad to.....
Jb70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

A while back my folks were looking at some land, and it came with the perfect "hot rod" shop building in the back.

It had a 40x60ish "barracks" looking half metal half concrete block building. Stayed cool as heck in summer, and you could hang those HPS warehouse lights and have great visibility. I was pissed they didn't buy that place.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
PGSigns

Mine is 32X40 with a 12 foot ceiling. A lift is something once you have one you will wonder how you ever go by with out it. I also believe that the amount of stuff will exceed the room available after 12 months no matter how big you build it.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Hi by the end of June i will move into a new place with 24X24 garage,no height for lift...
with only one plug in it,power will need upgrades
In the other shops
I run 220 AC for welding and compressor...
I like to run a large 2 foot square shop exhaust fan,when working out there.
keeps the air fresher.
lots of lights...
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Special-Ed

i would make sure all lighting is at 6500 kalvin or so...
Old 06-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #12
Tinkermc

Mine is 24 X 40 and has 240 power for welder and compresor, space is a funny thing. It starts out so big and in just a few months it grows to so small.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-Ed View Post
i would make sure all lighting is at 6500 kalvin or so...
Ick, that would make my Camera's white balance want to go all blue....plus my happy plants wouldn't like that in the Fall.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
Special-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Ick, that would make my Camera's white balance want to go all blue....plus my happy plants wouldn't like that in the Fall.
whats wrong with 5600k? its great for plant life growth! but with plant growth you want some 2800 and 3200 ish

also its easier on the eyes when working by light.

i dont know anything about cameras, but i do know a lot about lighting... and its effects on the eyes.

all my leds and cfl's are 5600k by choice...
Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
muckyp

Take look at www.garagejournal.com if you dare.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
jbharkjr

Wow, I honestly did not expect this many replies and input. I greatly appreciate everyone's response. We do business for a couple of individuals which specialize in metal buildings. Going to throw these ideas at them and see about getting some quotes.

Interestingly enough, found what appears to be a 68 Swb Stepside for a pretty decent price which would be hard to pass up on. Guess I'll find out when I go to check it out.

Thank you again! Looks like I found a good online community to be a part of.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #17
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

Let me know what you find!! And best of luck to you!! I'm moving into a house in Sept and am working in the budget and sizing of a shop. I have a decent-ish sized machine shed that I'm working out of now and its bulging at the seams with equipment. I have a storage unit a little ways down the road with my motors/transmissions/ overflow parts. I would strongly suggest a lift!!! I'm a tech by trade, so going home and working on something on the floor kills me. Be sure to ask your reps for a clearspan building though to keep the building open and room for the lift (if/when you get one). and you will need the roof about 14ft tall. most 2 post lifts are right at 13ft tall. Definitely get doors on both sides!! I suggest them facing east/west if you can. I'm just north of Austin and know all to well about the Texas summers and the breeze is our friend!!! And you don't want a north wind blowing through the door (insulated or not). Just .02 from a fellow soon-to-be shop owner

-1997 Z/28 - LT1/T-56 - Bolt ons, 9 inch, built trans/clutch and on the bottle
RocketChevy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #18
Old Truck Man

Mine is 30 x30 and I haven't been able to get a vehicle inside it for a couple of years. We have a big canopy out front and one bay of that is where I do most of my work. I have a 1600 sqft block building full of stuff and 4 school buses & two bread vans. If I where wealthy I would buy a adandoned chicken farm & fill those grower houses. Mine is a mess hoard collection. I actually do have a 12 ton 4 post lift I bought two years ago. it is still not put up. my wife states it will still be laying there when they have my estate auction.A guy I know built two identical 16 x24 buildings. heavly insulated and only one roll up door. one is used for nothing but spraying paint. the other he works in. He doesn't store anything inside the buildings. The air compressor is even in its own out house looking shed. He is able to keep them empty clean and their not to big to heat & cool. he never keeps anything spends all his time being a clean freak mowing the grass painting the house washing the cars ect. Myself Im having more fun than a little duck with two mud puddles.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote