The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
1972BlueC20

trans / oil leak...can anyone help?

I've got a moderate to minor leak of trans fluid and oil.

I'm trying to figure out exactly where the leaks are coming from so I can maybe try to fix it myself before having to take to a mechanic and spend an arm and a leg.

when I first bought the truck there was oil droplets on the oil pan and bell housing. The oil seemed to be coming mostly from the valve covers and the oil pressure switch. I bought some felpro perma-dry valve cover gaskets, but before I installed them I tried just tightening the valve cover bolts. They were VERY loose, so I just snugged them all up and changed the oil pressure switch and now it doesn't seem to be leaking from either of those areas the best I can tell.

I thought that I fixed everything, but today I noticed when I got underneath the truck it's still leaking, not as bad but still leaking.

I also noticed it's leaking trans fluid as well.

The trans fluid is all over the cross member area, and on the driver side on what I believe is where the speedo cable hooks up (I'm not sure if that is what this is LOL, maybe someone can confirm) and also on the gear shift linkage.

If it's not the valve covers or oil pressure switch leaking, what else can it be? Oil pan? Rear main seal? Anything else?

Also if it's leaking from the 2 areas I described on the trans, how do I fix that? What's actually leaking??

Here are some pics, any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

1972BlueC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
litew8

Re: trans / oil leak...can anyone help?

You should invest in a Chilton book for repairs. Transmission leaks, maybe? O rings. Engine oil leaks, maybe the oil pan gasket. Hard to tell from the pics. If it were the rear main seal leaking, you'd see oil at the rear of the engine, not the sides.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
geezer#99

The tranny leak looks like the shifter shaft seal. It has a small seal in it. They're about 10 bucks. However the tool to remove it with out messing up the sealing surface on the shaft is 50 bucks. But it could leak again and again and again!! You could try fixing it yourself or end up like I did and had the shifter arm removed, machined and re-installed. About 200 bucks.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Tango59

The good thing is the trannys are usually either a 350 or 400.... Most transmission shops can do the seals on the cheap.... The 350 and 400 have a common leak at the speedo housing.... $20 kit easy to replace... I had AAMCO do my front, rear, speedo and pan seals for less than $250...
Tango59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
BlackedOut67shorty

Well I got the same issue with my engine leaking oil, but I look at the bright side, the underneath of my truck will never rust
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
litew8

and be thankful it isn't the rear main seal leaking.