The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Ciscokid8

1958 GMC 100 Panel Build

Hello, I'm new to this site, but so far it looks great!
I have been around the restoration and fabrication field most of my life mostly with old Porsche restorations but for the past 8 years or so ive been fabricating off road desert race trucks. So a friend asked me if I would work on if truck for him.
Its a 58 Panel. I've been reading many threads for a few days but still have a few questions before I tear into this thing.
His requirements are as follows:
Modern chassis
New motor
Auto Trans
Power Steering
Brakes etc etc
and the Original Body

I would like to keep it the original cream color but that's the least of our concerns.

So, I have read that SKYMANGS recommended to FINE69 for his 49 to use a 87-91 S10 frame. Would that apply to this year as well? Would there be a better choice?

Other ideas on the board are going to be:

Engine: New LS EFI motor from Chevrolet. Perhaps the LC9 or LS3 (need to have/add AC)
Trans: 4L65 from Chevrolet
Rear End: Undetermined, perhaps a Ford 9"
Front Suspension: My friend hasn't made up his mind on either Bagging it or ifs/coil overs, personally id like to see this thing bagged
Rear Suspension: My friend hasn't made up his mind on either Bagging it or springs
Interior, remain as stock as possible, updated comfy seats etc

Please, throw me your thoughts or do's/dont's... I can do the work, just not familiar with what is the easiest path...

Here is it now:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  39.2 KB
Ciscokid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Highsider

Re: 1958 GMC 100 Panel Build

Here are a couple of articles to start the brainstorming:

http://www.classictrucks.com/events/.../photo_06.html

EDITED: This may not lead you to what you want, but it is a cool restore story.

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/bea...arry_1955.html
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck

Last edited by Highsider; 09-29-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
OrrieG

s10 frame works with 47-55.1 trucks, is to narrow for 55.2-59. My preference is to keep the stock frame (no fabrication of radiator or body mounts, bumper mounts etc to deal with) and add a modern front and rear suspension that attaches to the stock frame. Depending on the ride height he wants you can go with IFS with bags or coil over shocks, rack and pinion steering and modern disc brakes.

In the back do a 4-link and use a posi/disk rear end, mid 80-90 Camaro IROC/Z28 and Firebirds are good candidates. Engine and trans is your choice, I'm a carburated 283-350 guy, but lots of info on later electronic engines in the build threads, let price and your expertise with the electronics be your guide. BB will fit but gets tight at the firewall and trans hump area.

Other amenities are his choice, lots of steering column, wiriing, gauge, A/C aftermarket companies. With the panel seats options are better because you don't have the headrest in the back window syndrome and you can move them back if he is a big guy.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
Ciscokid8

HIGHSIDER, thanks for the pics and your personal threads. The first web page dosent work, maybe the address is off?

ORRIEG, thank you for your response as well. I have sent a message to him and asked him to make a choice so I can finale my general parts list. With the S10 frame, I have many options. I think in this case in the name of time and economics, ill look for a strait frame, take it to bare metal, prep it with mounts etc and powder coat it.
I'm going to take the rest of the after noon to do some more research. We are going to get started pretty quickly and I don't want this to get drug out as I have another truck that I'm trying to finish.

If anyone else has suggestions for additional parts that have worked for you, please, take a minuet and leave a response. Thank you in advance!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
Advanced Design

Welcome Ciscokid8. That will be a great project. One option for the chassis is to buy one done which saves a lot of time. There are a number of manufacturers and here is one option. http://www.fatmanfabrications.co/pro...truck-chassis/

While I am not familiar with the wheelbase on your panel Fatman Fabrications and other manufacturers will be.

Depending on budget, are you going with the connect and cruise package from Chevrolet Performance?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...97694/10002/-1

I went the Craigslist route and found a rolled 2004 Sierra with the 5.3 and 4L60 for way less for the Suburban build.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Ciscokid8

Slight update.
We are going to bag the truck.
The Frame is still undecided. Fatman frames is around 5-6 months out! Im wondering just how bad these frames decay? Perhaps removing the body, spending a couple hours cleaning and seeing if using the existing frame with some reinforcement is a simpler way to go.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
OrrieG

I think you misread my reply?? S10 frame is too narrow for 58 trucks. You will have to use like 2" spacers to get the wheels out far enough to clear the inner fenders and look right in the wheel wells.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid8 View Post
Slight update.
We are going to bag the truck.
The Frame is still undecided. Fatman frames is around 5-6 months out! Im wondering just how bad these frames decay? Perhaps removing the body, spending a couple hours cleaning and seeing if using the existing frame with some reinforcement is a simpler way to go.
Sure could be the quicker way. Have went that route usine the stock original frame on a number of my projects / builds. There are a number of manufacturers that can supply the needed parts, some from memory - TCI, FatMan, Heidts, Scotts, Chassis Engineering (believe is bolt in) and many others.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote