The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
WTF?

New guy with a question.

Hi guys, been lurking, finally signed up, and have a question about my truck. I had been planning to get one for a while, and had put the word out, and been looking, but not too hard. Have already built me a 5.3 with heads, cam, 4l60e, and the likes to do me a swap with, as I'm a LSx fan. Finally got in touch with a nice older gentleman that had a 1 owner in his garage since 1990. On the phone I was told it was a 400 and was a 3/4 ton, and blue and white. Well, I get there to look, we pull the covers off, and it's a 1/2 ton 5 lug, 402bbc, air, powersterring, everything, with th400 and 12 bolt. I almost fell over, and it's green and white.....LOL To say that the truck is clean, is an understatement. There isn't even a ding in the bed....a hint of rust on the drivers door, and that is it. Truck is very nice.

Leads me to my question. If I pull the drivetrain and lower it as I had previously thought, would I be ruining a potentially rare investment, or just swap away and don't worry about it? I'm kinda distraught on the decision now as I look on the forum here and see that it seems to be a desirable truck.

And insight would help, as I'm still leaning towards a turbo 5.3 at the moment, but don't want to ruin a good thing. Thanks for the advice guys.
WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
mechanicalman

Re: New guy with a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
Hi guys, been lurking, finally signed up, and have a question about my truck. I had been planning to get one for a while, and had put the word out, and been looking, but not too hard. Have already built me a 5.3 with heads, cam, 4l60e, and the likes to do me a swap with, as I'm a LSx fan. Finally got in touch with a nice older gentleman that had a 1 owner in his garage since 1990. On the phone I was told it was a 400 and was a 3/4 ton, and blue and white. Well, I get there to look, we pull the covers off, and it's a 1/2 ton 5 lug, 402bbc, air, powersterring, everything, with th400 and 12 bolt. I almost fell over, and it's green and white.....LOL To say that the truck is clean, is an understatement. There isn't even a ding in the bed....a hint of rust on the drivers door, and that is it. Truck is very nice.

Leads me to my question. If I pull the drivetrain and lower it as I had previously thought, would I be ruining a potentially rare investment, or just swap away and don't worry about it? I'm kinda distraught on the decision now as I look on the forum here and see that it seems to be a desirable truck.

And insight would help, as I'm still leaning towards a turbo 5.3 at the moment, but don't want to ruin a good thing. Thanks for the advice guys.
Do the numbers match, engine, frame, door ID tag? Original paint? If yes, it's a rare investment and yes you would be ruining a good thing.

But, is it what you want? If you pay a premium price because of what it is, you might be better off getting something else. But, if the body is what you want then ONLY YOU can say if it's worth it.

Happiness is all we can hope to get in life, and if it makes you happy.....

Getting what you want is always a good thing.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
WTF?

Yes, it's matching....it's a one owner. Passenger door and fender has been replaced and painted in the 80's. It's missing the 400/8 tag. Was replaced with GM parts, he said he scrubbed a pole with it, you could never tell....I inquired about the tag, and got the story.

I'm finished with a full brake job. Guess I will just order a tank, and a carb, and see how it runs and make the decision then.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
68shortwide

This comes across the board every now and then, and the answer as previously stated if its completely original numbers matching its just kinda cool, these trucks havnt hit the popularity like the chevelles n camaros have and aren't worth as much. Do what you want with the truck, take pictures of everything so you break purists hearts I'm doing the same thing but I have a mix of trucks and years so I'm not feeling as bad lol #Lsx
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
davepl

I can't agree. I would not cut up an original big block half ton with air. I cannot imagine anyone else would either. There were literally MILLIONS of small block, non-AC trucks built. Go cut up on of those.

I'm going to be sticking an LS motor in my 1969 RS/SS 396 Camaro, so I have no objection to the fundamental idea, but in my case the original engine is gone. But an original unit should be preserved.

And the "could be returned to stock" thing never happens. Once it's wrecked, they're wrecked forever, unless it's a Hemi 'Cuda or L-88 or LS-6 type vehicle.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
72 Copper C-10

Quote:
Yes, it's matching....it's a one owner. Passenger door and fender has been replaced and painted in the 80's. It's missing the 400/8 tag. Was replaced with GM parts, he said he scrubbed a pole with it, you could never tell....I inquired about the tag, and got the story.

I'm finished with a full brake job. Guess I will just order a tank, and a carb, and see how it runs and make the decision then.
honestly I would just rebuild the carb and keep that original as well.. you have any pics? the truck sounds sweet!
72 Copper C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
WTF?

Yeah, don't know yet. Need to upload some pics to show you guys. Might do a build thread for the truck.Thanks for the advice, kinda what I was expecting.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
hdff

I agree don't cut a truck like that..... What part of Houston you in?

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
I agree don't cut a truck like that..... What part of Houston you in?
I'm actually in Sheldon, about 5 mins down the road from Crosby.

I don't want to cut it, but I want a driver, and a Big Block, and a 3 speed don't make me happy....LOL Decisions, decisions...
Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #10
72 Copper C-10

Quote:
I'm actually in Sheldon, about 5 mins down the road from Crosby.

I don't want to cut it, but I want a driver, and a Big Block, and a 3 speed don't make me happy....LOL Decisions, decisions...
Hahah get another truck to build!
72 Copper C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #11
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Ok it's actually not worth less, just a tease fest.

Also, you didn't say if it was a short bed? I didn't want to assume.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
WIDESIDE72

My brother was in a similar quandry a few years ago. He bought my uncles one owner black/ black 72 cheyenne c10 from him. It needed restoring but still had the original 402/400. Only difference is it wasnt going to be a daily driver. He considered swapping an lt1/ 4l60e he had but decided to keep it original.

I have a 72 cheyenne swb step 350/700r4 and a 70 longhorn 402/400. I would never consider these trucks for a daily driver. I have had a drivers license since 1986, but started driving around 1982 (sshhhhh!) drove cars and trucks like these when they were a few years old, wrecked a few as well and they just dont compare safety wise to new vehicles. My daily driver is a chevy volt (GASP!) i drive from north of Austin Tx to central Austin daily in heavy traffic and have driven the 72 a few times. AM going in is not bad as i start at 6:30am, but going home at 3pm traffic is already heavy. Speeds range from 70mph to zero to 35mph to 70mph to zero, repeat, repeat for about 40-45 minutes. (!) for instance friday before last two idiots had a fender bender (rear ender low speed) and decided it was best to stop in the left lane of the freeway to assess the damage. As i am trying to get around them a douche in a new audi with paper tags that was behind me decides to cut me off by accelerating and flipping me the bird (?) as i am getting in the middle lane with my blinker on.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
EdSevered

I struggled with this concept too. The PO swapped engines, but still had the original (which needed a rebuild), for which he wanted extra $ that I didn't have. Now I could've got the $, if I really wanted that motor, but I had to struggle with the idea. I picked up the phone a few times to call him and ask if it was still available, ok, I did text him, but he didn't respond. The difference, of course, is mine is a run-of-the-mill 350/350. Regardless, I finally put the idea out of my head. I haven't the $, knowledge or expertise to rebuild a motor, but that didn't stop the idea from nagging at me for awhile.

If you got the room, do the swap and lower, keep all the original parts just in case the guilt/regret gets to be too much. Then you can always put it back and sell it to finance the buy and build of another.

My .02. -Ed

Last edited by EdSevered; 11-17-2014 at 12:34 PM.
EdSevered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #14
Lattimer

My $0.02----if you have to question "Should I?", then the answer is no.

Plenty of original 6 cylinder trucks out there to molest----thats what mine was.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #15
WTF?

It's a long bed, which is what I wanted. I think the long beds look good low. I won't be finding another truck to build, it will be this one. The way things look, I will put a tank in it, get it running, pull it out, bag it, and swap it.......LOL Don't hate me guys. I really want it stock looking, 20inch steelies, low, and turbo 5.3, so that's what I'm doing. No body, no paint, no interior work at all.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #16
mechanicalman

Quote:
It's a long bed, which is what I wanted. I think the long beds look good low. I won't be finding another truck to build, it will be this one. The way things look, I will put a tank in it, get it running, pull it out, bag it, and swap it.......LOL Don't hate me guys. I really want it stock looking, 20inch steelies, low, and turbo 5.3, so that's what I'm doing. No body, no paint, no interior work at all.
I guess this means the cab-over camper will have to go?

So, will you be able to pop the susp up to stockish height and parade around like a "normal" truck?

That LWB I think might allow for a bigger tank but it might scrape the ground when you pop wheelies LOL

No haters here.

Save those 400 badges and when you get the cash get an LSX block and make a LS based 400ci to make the purists happy LOL
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Do what you will, it is after all, your iron. Might you interested in selling the carburetor? What is the 7-digit number (located on the float bowl on the driver's side)?

Thanks, Steve

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote