The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
1stchevy

American Autowire

Just ordered the classic update kit from American Autowire part 510089. How many of you guys have installed them yourself and how hard was it? I have only done very minor car audio wiring so this has me a little scared to tackle by myself. Any insight or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Chris
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: American Autowire

subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Kungfoogrip

I posted a similar thread on the subject..this may help you some..I am starting on this tonight! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=651043

Kungfoogrip
Kungfoogrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
1stchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfoogrip View Post
I posted a similar thread on the subject..this may help you some..I am starting on this tonight! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=651043

Kungfoogrip
Thanks a lot! Good luck with your install, I'll keep my eyes peeled for updates.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
1968aj

keep us posted. im going to do the same thing very soon. never done it before either. is this autowire the best kit to use? I am just east of Houston . just getting started on a 1970. headed to theswap meet in Belton TX. TOMORROW morning looking for some factory bucket seats
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
1971 K10 shortbox

Mine just showed up today. I can tell you the first part, carrying the box from the front porch to the garage wasn't to bad. LOL. Sorry could resist.
1971 K10 shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stchevy View Post
Just ordered the classic update kit from American Autowire part 510089. How many of you guys have installed them yourself and how hard was it? I have only done very minor car audio wiring so this has me a little scared to tackle by myself. Any insight or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Chris
American Autowire spun off from M&H. Both of those harnesses match the original wiring. Get a copy of the factory assembly manual and your fears will melt away. Since that harness is a very accurate reproduction of the factory original, it is routed and connected as it is shown in the manual. If the line monkeys could get the truck wired in just a few minutes you should be able to do it with that book in a day. Or three. It took me a day to install my M&H harness. Everything worked on the very first try, including the horn!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
rwade

This is the kit I used. Great instructions and thorough. I'll buy another for my next one. And BTW, I hate electrical, but this kit was great.

Wade
rwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
1stchevy

Thanks for the feed back guys. I've looked over AAW's instructions online trying to prepare myself. I've read nothing but positive reviews about AAW's products, they seem to be great. I probably do need to buy a factory assembly manual also. I can't wait to receive it so I can do some more studying before I dive into it.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #10
scottybaccus

Just to add to the positive feedback...

I run a small custom chassis shop, specializing in updating older cars and trucks with modern suspension, brakes and power-trains. There isn't much about such cars I don't do.
When it comes to wiring, I am asked to do a lot of complete replacements. I typically quote $500-$750 to install any American Autowire harness, and that varies based on whatever sort of customizations there are, like gauges or A/C, aftermarket power accessories, whatever.
When the customer insists on using something cheaper, I warn them in advance that the savings won't justify the added labor, and quality is surely less. When they don't reconsider, I only agree on an hourly rate, so that any overage in labor is billed, and it usually costs $750-$1000, at minimum. The AAW harness is just superior in layout, labeling, schematics, and alternative scenarios. Too many less expensive harnesses won't even come with instructions, much less a full schematic.
As to how long it takes to do one? Every vehicle is different, but 10-12 hours is on the low end, for an experienced hand. Better call that 20 for a novice that has a clue. The clueless..., well, they should call me.
AAW is good stuff. Have fun!
Old 12-06-2014, 03:55 AM   #11
Bob B.

Installed AAW harnesses in my truck and 8 years later have never had an electrical issue. Just take your time and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
1stchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B. View Post
Installed AAW harnesses in my truck and 8 years later have never had an electrical issue. Just take your time and you shouldn't have any problems.

That's the plan! This is definitely something I want to do right the first time.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
Kungfoogrip

Little disappointed in the little I accomplished today..I ordered the 2 crimpers from AAW and they were supposed to show up yesterday and they didn't. You absolutely have to have the crimpers if you are going with a full replacement (which I am). So all I managed to finish today was pull the harness under the dash and I basically went over every wire under the hood and compared it to the kits replacement wire. (basically laying out the game plan). Looks like its very straight forward as long as you have the crimpers. Here is a pic of the 43 year old harness

PS My refurbished dash bezel from TBONE1964 should be here Monday as well!

Rock on dudes

Kungfoogrip
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
Kungfoogrip

Made some progress today. I wired the headlight part of the kit, rewired both headlights, turn lights, parking lights, and the horn. It wasn't nearly as scary as I thought.

My 1st impressions with the kit are TAKE YOUR TIME. Route the wires and plan ahead before you cut any of the wires, lay out all of the connectors that you have to crimp and read the wiring diagram until you understand what you are supposed to do. So far so good!!!

The engine harness is next.

Later

Kungfoogrip
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
1stchevy

Nice start and thanks for the updates.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #16
truckdude239

Thats the kit i used i hate electrical work and i did it all so far so good. I w3nt w step farther and solider all the connections

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #17
1stchevy

Had a friend quote me $500-$600 to install the AAW harness. He has been doing stereo installs and other wiring for about 15 years. He has rewired a few other cars and trucks so I'm confident this should't be an issue. I figured by the time I bought the proper crimping tools and the time I would have into it I could pay him and have it finished faster.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
jacmac926

Also looking to do a complete rewire after the holidays been looking at several different topics on here and everyone seems to like the automotive auto wire over the painless I am debating between the 2 since the painless has almost 10 more circuits you and add and it is pretty much the same price. What is everyone's expierence with the painless harness?
jacmac926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #19
1stchevy

The reason I went with the AAW harness is because all the factory terminals are replaced by new factory style terminals. All the connections will be new and it comes with new ignition, headlight and high/low beam switches. Just seems like a more complete harness than the others on the market.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
Lee H

JMHO, as I've used both. Painless harness is an oxymoron like government efficiency.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #21
57larry

I used AA 2times, once in a 57 chevy and the other in a 56 chevy truck, still have both vehicles, both have no electrical problems. good kits, just take your time
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #22
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Had a friend quote me $500-$600 to install the AAW harness. He has been doing stereo installs and other wiring for about 15 years. He has rewired a few other cars and trucks so I'm confident this should't be an issue. I figured by the time I bought the proper crimping tools and the time I would have into it I could pay him and have it finished faster.
I hate to sound like an E. Scrooge, with all this happy, happy, happy stuff about the great wiring harnesses..But, what's the deal? You've already purchased the harness.
I didn't look at the AAW catalog, so I'm not sure what you bought. But you really need more "attaboy, go get 'em's", and "how to's", than nods to AAW or M&H.

Not that it matters for this thread, but on the *really* happy side, M&H and AAW seem to be of equal quality. I use M&H exclusively, but would look at AAW based on
what everyone is saying. If they have the same excellent customer service as M&H and a similar price, you have a winner.

Now, for some REAL info:

Your truck has ...Lets see: An engine harness with a firewall plug, a front "light" harness, an under dash harness with the fuse box and all the interior and dash goodies,
a long harness to go to the rear along the frame, and a rear harness for the tail and brake and rear side markers and lic plate lights. Maybe an a/c harness, too.

Do you have an HEI dizzy and/or an internally regulated alternator? I'm sure those questions would be answered if I looked at the part number you ordered....
...Okay, I just did. But I'm a little confused and too lazy to dig in, so I'm still not sure about those questions.

Point: If you are replacing all of it, you can easily do this yourself. One harness at a time.

If I'm replacing everything, I start with the light harness, then the engine harness. Then the under dash harness, etc.

Unless you have some sort of head trauma, or lack of patience, or similar malady, this is about the most fun thing you can do on your own truck, IMHO.
That's why I pay for the good harnesses. No guess work.

A couple of more things:

Make yourself an extra ground to go to the steel of the dash. Connect it to the bezel (the metal part that carries the gauges).
Make it long enough that you can pull out the bezel (after you disconnect the oil line).

Loosen the steering column (and probably e-brake assy...mine's a '68) before screwing up your nice bezel (DAMHIK...several times).
Don't screw in the bezel until you're sure EVERYTHING works. Remember how the light switch comes apart.
If the Ign. switch is staying, good. If not, know how to take it apart before you ruin it.

Get one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/lmqwqhm

My $.02
But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 12-23-2014 at 10:25 PM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #23
1stchevy

Thanks magwakeenercew2jh I think lol! I'm very nervous and unsure about doing this myself. My confidence goes from yes I can to what the heck am I thinking on a daily basis.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #24
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Thanks magwakeenercew2jh I think lol! I'm very nervous and unsure about doing this myself. My confidence goes from yes I can to what the heck am I thinking on a daily basis.
I guarantee that you can do it yourself.
But only do it if you think it will be fun.

If you have any questions along the way, a bunch of us are only a keyboard away.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #25
1stchevy

I think it will be fun and I'll understand more about my truck when it's done. Plus I can do things the way I want it. Do I need the crimps AAW sells or are there alternatives that are cheaper? Thanks for the help!