The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
72BigBlockBurb

Here's a cluster question for all...

Ok, All I've ever seen is a silver edged bezel on 67's...mine is white and it was white when it was pulled out of a back yard in Arizona. It is a base model...very few options at all. My father-in-law and I have been discussing the cluster and glove box since I bought the truck as neither of us has run into a white one-he was an avid junk yarder for his truck parts business until about 10 years ago...I've been messing with these trucks for about 25 years. My only base model truck was a 72 that had maybe two options...so this is new territory as my others have been fairly fully loaded vehicles.

After another weekend of discussing the truck when I was up in Dallas I thought I'd ask the group to see if anyone had any ideas beyond what we did.
Attached Images

1972 402BB Suburban-Finally got her back!
1982 Mecham Racing Firebird #21
2009 GT1 Corvette
2000 Corvette convertible
72BigBlockBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: Here's a cluster question for all...

i wonder if someone took it off and repainted it. the 1 knob on the left look like 68-72 deluxe knob and a 67 deluxe knob as well as the radio. got another pic of that steering wheel?
looks like a good 67 so far
Old 12-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Looks like someone painted it. Mine had the chrome edge but it was scratched so I painted it black. Never seen a white one.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
72BigBlockBurb

I can grab some other pics later today. This is the truck that is featured here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545293

The headlight knob is not a 67 for sure...the wiper knob is a deluxe 67 as it is small and has the correct knurling. That wheel is gone-I read that the wheel that is in it now was picked up in Pomona at the swap meet. This little truck is an oddball with clearance lights, heavy duty springs and RV mirrors on a swb stepper...

The other crazy part is that the only mirror holes are the ones that match the mirrors that are on it...and they are not the standard rv factory mirrors. Maybe it's the truck's Canadian plant heritage that is the difference on some of this stuff.

My father-in-law has a fully loaded 67 cab/chassis-including the 3ott/overdrive transmission that he ordered new and custom built a camper on...so I've got a good comparison truck if I ever need one...just some things that keep you guessing when you are comparing base vs. loaded!
2009 GT1 Corvette
Old 12-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
ho70

that is a chevelle steering wheel. Is that an aftermarket cruise control? My guess is it painted white.
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
72BigBlockBurb

That aftermarket cruise is long gone...so is the 6/3ott. Its a nice little 350/350 combo now. Need to change to some different gears still-I'd like 75 to be a little lower than 3500 rpm!

I'll say that if someone painted it and the glovebox door-SPID is still there and correct...they did a very good job of it. I'm not saying it isn't painted...just seeing what everyone else thinks as my "training" says that it's painted too. I just didn't want to alter something "oddball" and then find it was original.

These are the fun threads in my book...they either show us what we already know or teach us something new.

My daughter's 69 karmann ghia sure looks like a factory red car (in a color that didn't happen that year) until you find one small spot under the hood that they missed...the PO even pulled the dash woodgrain, painted and replaced it-it has pulled a little and you can see the red. Some folks do a much better job than others on things like this!
2009 GT1 Corvette
Old 12-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I have never ever seen anything other than silver paint or chrome and black on a Chevrolet truck. GMC's did some weird crap, but Chevrolet's were always silver/chrome & black.

So you're the new owner? I remember that build thread, cool truck!

My 67 was an early production truck and it was black and silver.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
72BigBlockBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I have never ever seen anything other than silver paint or chrome and black on a Chevrolet truck. GMC's did some weird crap, but Chevrolet's were always silver/chrome & black.

So you're the new owner? I remember that build thread, cool truck!

My 67 was an early production truck and it was black and silver.
Yep...I flew up to Washington state on Halloween and drove her 2200 miles back to Houston. Love the truck...it is definitely a keeper!

I haven't looked at production date on mine...I'll have to do that. With so many projects little stuff like that gets forgotten!
2009 GT1 Corvette
Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

'67s and '68 Chevys had Argent Silver edges on the Instrument Bezel. '69 - '72 [w/the design shift of the Wiper switch to the right and general Choke Delete] the bezel edges were chromed.
GMC painted some bezel faces the same as the interior color, Chevy's were India Black.
I repainted the bezel in my '68 Stepside, Flat Black on the front and Silver Fawn on the edges.
I had a '67 K/10 Suburban, it had the Argent Silver, India Black Instrument panel and also the glovebox door was a black/silver match. White exterior truck with a Fawn interior. Fremont built.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
72BigBlockBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
'67s and '68 Chevys had Argent Silver edges on the Instrument Bezel. '69 - '72 [w/the design shift of the Wiper switch to the right and general Choke Delete] the bezel edges were chromed.
GMC painted some bezel faces the same as the interior color, Chevy's were India Black.
I repainted the bezel in my '68 Stepside, Flat Black on the front and Silver Fawn on the edges.
I had a '67 K/10 Suburban, it had the Argent Silver, India Black Instrument panel and also the glovebox door was a black/silver match. White exterior truck with a Fawn interior. Fremont built.

See...this is what I've always "known" too...but this one had me wondering as the "painter" was the original owner at some point before he passed as it was already complete when it was rescued. You get back "in the day" and sometimes things got strange.

Back when I was working as a GM tech and we had strikes on parts suppliers in the late 90's, early 00's (don't remember the year) we actually had a few trucks come in with non-standard speakers installed...guess was they were a few speakers short of completing some orders and went "down the street" and picked some up. The one in particular I remember working on belonged to the dealer principle and was about 2 months old! All the ones we saw came out of the same plant and were built around the time of the strike.

Thanks all!
2009 GT1 Corvette
Old 12-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Elliot949

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BigBlockBurb View Post
Ok, All I've ever seen is a silver edged bezel on 67's...mine is white and it was white when it was pulled out of a back yard in Arizona. It is a base model...very few options at all. My father-in-law and I have been discussing the cluster and glove box since I bought the truck as neither of us has run into a white one-he was an avid junk yarder for his truck parts business until about 10 years ago...I've been messing with these trucks for about 25 years. My only base model truck was a 72 that had maybe two options...so this is new territory as my others have been fairly fully loaded vehicles.

After another weekend of discussing the truck when I was up in Dallas I thought I'd ask the group to see if anyone had any ideas beyond what we did.

ALL 67/68 Dash and glove boxes were silver edge with black or the Glove boxes were painted silver/black or interior color... The CST trucks had the silver edge with a black textured center...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 AM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

72BBB: I like your Cop Spot. I have an old one I found, and a Unity A Pillar Bracket, but haven't put it on a truck yet.
My '68 C/10 Stepside has West Coast JR mirrors installed, and spec'ed on the SPID. No holes for other mirrors. I like them. No bears can sneak up on my six.
As for the White trim ring on your glovebox door and Inst Bezel: my guess is the truck belonged to a fire dept and somebody gussied it up to look cool on parades.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
72BigBlockBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
72BBB: I like your Cop Spot. I have an old one I found, and a Unity A Pillar Bracket, but haven't put it on a truck yet.
My '68 C/10 Stepside has West Coast JR mirrors installed, and spec'ed on the SPID. No holes for other mirrors. I like them. No bears can sneak up on my six.
As for the White trim ring on your glovebox door and Inst Bezel: my guess is the truck belonged to a fire dept and somebody gussied it up to look cool on parades.
'68-Thanks for the compliments! From what I understand-the old man who owned the truck from new was a long haul truck driver-maybe he did the paint to mimic something in his big rig!

At least everyone is supporting what I thought I knew about these trucks...that's the best part of this forum-the instant response from a great community.
2009 GT1 Corvette
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
sboris

Glovebox is the giveaway to me. Definately painted. Cool none the less.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
michael bustamante

reading the prev. owners build thread, he said he pulled the old wheel and put on a 67 white steering wheel and pulled the knobs and gauges and polished em up. i wonder if he painted the cluster and gb lid to match the white steering wheel
Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
leftybass209

It's painfully obvious after looking at the po's thread that this truck easily strays from stock, and the white bits in the interior were done by him. Either way, cool truck!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
leddzepp

Every 67 bezel I have seen is silver/black. I've seen lots of 68's with chrome/black bezels (including mine). Never seen white before, probably painted. Looks good.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
72BigBlockBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
It's painfully obvious after looking at the po's thread that this truck easily strays from stock, and the white bits in the interior were done by him. Either way, cool truck!
Actually the picture was when the truck was pulled out of a back yard in Phoenix prior to the previous owner started working on it. I've been through each and every picture I can find on the truck and it's build...so I at least knew the answer to whether the "rescuer" had done the cluster painting. I was suspicious the "old man" had done it at some point in his years of ownership but also wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed some oddball kind of option or package somewhere in my history.

I appreciate the compliments! The truck is a blast to drive. I've put rally wheels on it for better drivability as the rubber bands on the 20's were a little too low profile for everyday suburban driving...just need to find some 6 lug 7" rally wheels for the front vs. my 8's...
2009 GT1 Corvette