The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
jcnelson

I hate getting burned

I've been looking for a project I could do a frame off on. it looked good drove and run good, looked solid except it needed cab corners and rockers floor looked good but needed some repair I mean rust is Florida's state flower. what I discovered after disassembly blew me away. floor was duct tape covered with flight deck non skid, he said it had been lowered by a pro my behind. front springs are 2 different sizes with wood stuffed in the top to level it out. I'm determined to make it a pretty classic again just not as soon as I figured cause I'll be doing rust repair for ever. damn I hate getting burned.
Attached Images

jcnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: I hate getting burned

How closely did you look at it before you bought it?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

That does suck. If your looking for a different cab (you probably should) I have a rust free 67 small window I'd let go.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
bpatrol

it sucks but I think its on you for buying it. Some of that rust is in weird places and extensive. It would have set off warning flares for the rest of the truck. Hats off for going forward I would just replace the cab.
not flaming you but as always buyer beware.
god bless bpatrol
bpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
jcnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
How closely did you look at it before you bought it?
obisiously not close enough
I'm so pissed at myself. I missed the flags
Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

How bad is the area above the windshield? That's a PIA to fix as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if the drip rails are shot.

I would have walked away from it after popping the hood and seeing the rust line along the top of the cowl where the wiring goes. I've never seen one that was bad in that area that wasn't a rust bucket everywhere else.

You just live in a terrible area for "everywhere" rust.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
jcnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
How bad is the area above the windshield? That's a PIA to fix as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if the drip rails are shot.

I would have walked away from it after popping the hood and seeing the rust line along the top of the cowl where the wiring goes. I've never seen one that was bad in that area that wasn't a rust bucket everywhere else.

You just live in a terrible area for "everywhere" rust.
well I must of been seeing with wine glasses. but above the windshield is great I looked there closely I know how they rust there. believe it or not in the cowl area I seen no rust until I removed the hood and outer cowl. the heater core was removed and they put a metal cover over it I thought is was just a bad core.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnelson View Post
obisiously not close enough
I'm so pissed at myself. I missed the flags
I wasn't trying to pile on. I just thought maybe you had bought it off the internet and pictures can be deceiving. We've all been there, chalk it up as a lesson learned. You will find plenty of information on this website to prevent it from happening again, just do some research.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #9
ho70

It's in our nature to trust people. I have done the same thing and will probably keep doing them.
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #10
leftybass209

Did the seller not let you look at the truck? I purchased mine with similar rust issues, but I crawled over it with a fine tooth comb and knew I was replacing the cab. The only rust that could have been hidden from you was the floor and possibly the kick panels. That firewall should have been a huge red flag. When you say you got burned it makes it sound as though the seller misrepresented the amount of rust.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
jcnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Did the seller not let you look at the truck? I purchased mine with similar rust issues, but I crawled over it with a fine tooth comb and knew I was replacing the cab. The only rust that could have been hidden from you was the floor and possibly the kick panels. That firewall should have been a huge red flag. When you say you got burned it makes it sound as though the seller misrepresented the amount of rust.
no he said nothing and let me look although he was ready to leave town. its pretty much my fault. I'm blaming no one except myself. I'd like to get a new cab but I don't want to mess with title issues and teach myself a hard earned lesson and see this one through.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
65standard

How does a firewall rust through? I can't imagine that much rust from road salt. Trucks by me only rust along the lower half from road salt.

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #13
slowcpe

Ouch! I discovered more rust that I expected when I tore my truck apart. When I removed the heater box mine looked similar. I could not tell with the box on. That and I thought the floor was decent until I realized there was a layer of sound-deading type of material stuck to the floor under the very brittle original floormat. Not horrible but more than I expected.

I'm now debating on how bad I want to learn bodywork or pay more for a rust free '67 cab and doors than I did for the entire truck. Lessons learned I guess.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #14
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65standard View Post
How does a firewall rust through? I can't imagine that much rust from road salt. Trucks by me only rust along the lower half from road salt.
Leaves and debris fill up the fresh air vents. Also, if you live in a dusty or Sandy area when the truck gets washed dirt build up can stick to the walls inside the firewall creating a trap for moisture. That's what happened with my truck that led it's life in El Paso.

For me, a rust free cab was cheaper than the cost of just the patch panels, it was a no brained to do a cab swap.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #15
FlameOut

Wow, and Ithought mine was bad. Hopefully you didn't drop more than a couple hundred

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #16
jcnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
Wow, and Ithought mine was bad. Hopefully you didn't drop more than a couple hundred
well I did drop more than was worth but not a bunch. I bought it for something to keep me busy on the weekends I'm in no hurry. and in a sick and perverted way in looking forward to the challenge. I plan on doing it 100 % on my own it might take me 10 years but what the hay it's only time and money
Old 01-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #17
briank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65standard View Post
Salt air does crazy things,seems like along the coast that their vehicles rust from the top down unlike ours.....everywhere else.
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #18
C10agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I wasn't trying to pile on. I just thought maybe you had bought it off the internet and pictures can be deceiving. We've all been there, chalk it up as a lesson learned. You will find plenty of information on this website to prevent it from happening again, just do some research.
You are not alone brother. Good advice, do research and don't just buy off the interweb, hoping for the best ........ ask me how I know!
20" American Racing Daytonas
IG - neilioustx - pictures of build/progress

Born and Raised in the Promised Land....
TEXAS Y'ALL!!
C10agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #19
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Chalk it up as a lesson learned, most of us have been in your position. Just keep a eye on Craig's list in our region. There is always a good cab that will pop up someplace. Just research the difference in cabs, 67 thru 72. Plus, go ahead and title the truck now. When you locate "that" cab, you want have any problem changing the cab out...

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #20
flashed

You are not the first nor will you be the last to be burned on a project ,been there done that and learned a lot from it . Good luck on the build and Im going to keep watching . The good thing about this site is you will learn plenty and 99.9 % of the people here are honest and trustworthy .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #21
67c10rustbuket

Yikes! This reminds me of "Jezebel" if you want to see what kind if repair you are up against read through the Jezebel build thread.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #22
Devins-step

Been there done that, bought the hat and the T shirt! I bought a '71 GMC stepper for my son in 2010 while he was still in high school. (That is when we joined the forum and why my screen name is Devins-step.) We knew it had a lot of rust but felt we could take care of it. I finally got the engine to start at the PO's house but it ran really rough and was running straight off the headers. Got it home and started gathering parts. found out the plugs were cross wired. To make a long story longer, I put on a set of short pipes to quieten it down and that is when I heard the engine knocking... The thought of replacing the engine along with the huge amount of rust made me decide to sell it. Fortunately I didn't lose but a couple hundred. The '72 I bought last year was just as the owner had advertised it to be with very little rust and a pretty good engine. Of course I paid more for it.... This one's mine. Gave my son my F-150 Crew cab.
Dan
Devins-step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #23
4oldcars

If rust is the state flower, you got a whole bouquet. Good luck.

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #24
cdowns

I'd check the frame really really good with that much rust in the cab it would not surprise me to see the frame is in the same shape as that cab
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #25
R.L.

Hope the old boy left town and don't come here. Sounds to me like someone who has to look over his shoulder a lot.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote